darkmatter35

Dark Blotch On Undied Leather

I've came to the final step on an undied knife sheath. Edit, i forgot to mention that I treated the sheath with neatsfoot oil about two days earlier. I was putting a coat of sno-seal on and heating up the leather with a hair drier. during the process I noticed a dark blotch that was not there before. I tried to wet the hole sheath but it is now waterproof because of the sno-seal applied. I'm not sure what caused this (water or maybe overheat the wax). Would any one have sudgestions how to get rid of it?

Thanks, John

Edited by darkmatter35

It could have been touched there by something metal and you didn't notice or it may in fact been burned by the wax. Think of the last time you dropped hot wax on your hand? Maybe you'll get some ideas on how to get rid of it because I don't know at this point. Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl,

I've been thinking (stressing) about this and maybe when I heated the leather the pores opened and leached out some neatsfoot oil. I applied it only two days ago. I'm hoping if this happened it will reabsorb.and the spot will go away. Any other thoughts always welcome.

Thanks, John

I don't have an answer, but leather is from a dead cow, the pores no longer open and close ( do cows even have pores?).

Can you post a picture of what you are dealing with.

I wonder if it is the same kind of darkening you get on leather when you oil it. Maybe an uneven application of the Sno-Seal caused it? Did it spread out any overnight? Then again, maybe it wouldn't spread out or sink in without more heat?

If you put it in the sun all day the whole thing will darken a bit. Maybe it will lessen the spots.

Thanks everyone for your replies, It does look like some neatsfoot came to the surface. In the last 24 hours it has faded a little. It all started when I was applying wax and heating it. I rubbed wax into the mouth of the sheath and I must have got a little to much heat in that area. I had the hair drier pointed directly into the mouth of the sheath. Its all making sense now. I need to be a little more careful.

Thanks again, John

I made a sheath from 3mm undyed veg tanned leather, which had a similar colouring to yours, and treated it generously with Tandy's Prime Neatsfoot Oil. I was quite disappointed when it formed a few random bark blotches similar to the one you have illustrated. After a day or two it evened out to become much more muted - the pale areas with little oil became darker, and the dark oily patch became lighter and they sort of merged into each other. A couple of weeks later it had become an almost all - over dull yellow or mustard colour with just a bit of mellow shading

In fact people have admired and requested that colouring as they say it is a nice change from the usual dark brown or black. It goes well with a pale wood handle, like hawthorn, beech or yew

You could add even more oil so it's fairly well soaked and even, and see what happens. Or if you're a bit nervous, try on some scrap first. Soaking the sheath in oil and kneading it with the knife in place helps to form & fit them together.