Ok so this is the very first time I have ever worked with sting ray, have an interesting bracelet in the works that my wife wants to do so will take picutres of that when its done. Two things that I have found out about stingray

A: It's a real pain in the ass to cut

B: It does not burnishes worth a damn you have to use more sand paper than anything else but it does look very nice.

C. it does take edge dressing nicely you can't see it in this photo as I had not dressed it with the dressing at the time of the photo will take a better photo shots later on tomorrow.

The lining is pig skin, had an idea of mixing a few different exotic skins together to make different wallets such as stingray and ostrich or something along that line.

So my question for everyone is has anyone else worked with exotic leathers, if so what was it and name two things you learned about that leather to help us newbies out when it comes to exotic leather.

post-54720-0-94033300-1427275682_thumb.j

post-54720-0-42771900-1427275761_thumb.j

I have never worked with stingray so I can't be any help to you. But it looks like you are doing a fine job on the wallet.

I made a stingray wallet and next time I would use black thread because the stitch line will wander slightly and black would be less noticeable.

I didn't have any trouble cutting it from the flesh side and edging requires a thick coating.

I did the entire bike in my avatar out of stingray/leather.... Like you, I found stingray to be difficult to cut. It was nearly impossible to cut it in a straight line. I had no edges of stingray to burnish, so I can't comment on that. But, it sure makes a beautiful piece when finished...

Here's a better pic:

post-48531-0-81146100-1412565001_thumb.j
Edited by Jon P

Jon that is awesome how much did that cost you in material I mean for one small hide it cost me 150 au and I will end up just getting that wallet out of it and a bracelet. I found a little bit of a trick to cut close to a straight edge was to cut on the flesh side of things with a VERY sharp knife still ended up having to sand part of it down to make it look straight LOL. I love the look of stingray and I have another idea of doing a stringray/Ostrich wallet

In just stingray, I had $35 in the seat, another $35 for the brake/clutch levers, $90 for the tank, and $120 for the rear fender. So, $280 in hides... Ordered all of them from a seller on eBay.

I'll have to try cutting on the flesh side... GREAT IDEA!

Edited by Jon P

Nice! I've seen way worse stitch lines on stingray - looks like you're doing great.

Thanks Monica the stitching was a honestly a bitch to get to look the way I wanted. I wanted the stitching to "frame" the stingray that is why I went with a white stitch line instead of black. Jon P use a heavy blade even cutting on the flesh side and using a straight edge you will catch one or two spots that the knife will want to either actualy go up and not cut all the way through the stingray or you will catch bits that are really hard to cut through and the blade seems to want to skip to the left or right. I still had to be VERY careful when cutting.

Just a matter of taste, but I would have gone with a black thread. The stingray is flashy so there is not need for a highlight. I think the white thread kind of takes away from the stingray in that sense. Stitching looks pretty good though. I've heard quite difficult to sew that stuff.

The problem that I had with the sewing is that the hide is very "bumpy" and these bumps would push the thread in different directions then what I wanted so I would have to use the needle to push the thread back in place, mind you I used a simple saddle stitchx3 so that I KNOW that its not going to come undone lol

I have 2 cheap lacing chisels from tandy that I use for stingray only, instead of stitching them I do a Mexican round lace pattern and lace the item. looks pretty nice with the stingray. And hides the edges completely. make sure you cut and punch the stingray from the flesh side and keep your munches ground sharp.

Edited by Sturme