Hello crafters,

I am a total newb and on a tight budget. I bought a $50 starter set from a craft store and used it for a couple weeks. Now I cruise eBay and bid on tools and I have won several. I just paid the credit card bill for this recent period and I am shocked its up to $300! and I want more. I hardly have any leather just some scrap pieces. I'm in deep trouble, financially as well as romantically at home. What you think?

I got the leather work bug in me!

Welcome to the club! Tools end up being like a mathmatical equation, N+1.

Leather working is forever and will never turn it's back on you or be jealous. Anyone who is not a leather worker or artist will never understand.

Edited by leatherwytch

I don't know. Sometimes my tools, I'd swear, look at me disapprovingly as I saunter by. Perhaps they are cold, deprived of the warmth from my hands.

What you think?

Send me some homemade gumbo and maybe some crawfish and I'll give you my answer!!! :thumbsup:

I was stationed at Ft Polk for 5 years... I do miss some good Cajun food!!!

BTW.. you've only scraped the top off of this money pit you are opening!!! Although you can do some stuff cheap, you do need to spend some cash on tools and leather to keep improving...

Thanks for the great replies all! Sorry I'm not much of a Cajun chef, lol. My tools do need some fondling and attention for sure. They get lonely, haha.

I was in the same boat. I had to draw a line & stop buying tools until I had completed more projects. Then, when I was in the middle of a project & needed that one more tool, I let myself buy more.

Yeahhhhhhh....I'm just lucky my guy is understanding. So much so he bought me a Bear Maul for christmas. ;) Space is as big an issue as money, I need to do a serious clear-out of my back room, but that cuts into time I could be doing leatherworking, or archery, or gardening, or any million other things.

I am lucky...I had the bug when I was a teen and just a few years ago got the bug again...my wife is fully supportive and helping me get a business going. I had a few shops try to get me to buy them out but they are 80% chinese made products and only 20% leather craft...I want to be mainly in the craft.

Tommykay, you have probably opened a Pandora's box to a very odd and rewarding addiction. My recommendation to you would be to make your wife a nice wallet, purse or belt, something she will be proud of and use. She will feel much better about your hobby then.

Welcome to the club!

Bob

LOL!!

welcome to the addiction of many...there is a Facebook group for buying & swapping tools

.there is a Facebook group for buying & swapping tools

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! Where is this FB group????

welcome to the club :)

After 2 years, I figure I'm over $2000.00 worth of tools and I don't even have any of the big ones but I'm making some money off what I make so I look at it as an investment

far as the misses, sorry, I'm single so you are on your own there lol

I have to say, i was suprised how much money i have had to spend on tools for leathercraft, when you set out you think all you need is a knife, ruler, and needle and thread. Boy was i ever wrong. :no:

Like I said my wife is supportive of my 'addiction' :-) but she hates it when I go to Tandy for 1 item because I always walk out with allot more...lol.

My wife has been pretty supportive with my hobbies over the years. With bicycles, I used to buy vintage road bikes (mainly) and refurbish them. Some I kept, some I sold to help pay for the ones that I kept. Started out with a few and now have more than I need, but if I want I can sell them for a tidy sum.

I don't currently sell my projects. If I do, it will help me buy more and better tools, so it's all good.

Totally know how you're feeling. Except my $$$$ in the last 2 years is about $4,000. Love leatherwork. Love. It. And like Leatherwytch said up above, it doesn't get jealous, or disappointed, or whiny. I can tell my tools are always happy to see me. Reminds me of a good pup.