tnhomestead

Screwed It Up -- Now What To Do With It?

Hey, unlike these videos I have watched on you tube, where there 2nd or 3rd holster is perfect, glowing and just fabulous, I make mistakes when learning! LOL So what do you do with projects that are functional, look decent, but are not at the level you want to sell? Already have too many holsters(hard to believe I know!) etc tec. Hate to just throw them away, and really cant afford to either.

Appreciate any help and suggestions!

Pin them to the wall to look at and remind yourself to slow down and what not to do on the next ones?

I use a scrap of leather and practice everything I would do on an actual item. Its very similar to almost anything you practice, when it comes down to the thing you trying to achieve, its shows you your errors and where you need to improve.

The worst work that leaves your shop is the quality standard you will be judged by.

The worst work that leaves your shop is the quality standard you will be judged by.

This is a very true statement. Like Halitek said keep them to remind you of what not to do next time. John

Don't put your mark on it if it's not up to your quality standards!

Mark it as blemished or second grade and sell for a discount or make a trade - that case of beer mentioned above is always a good trade.

Oopsie box!

They can be sold as preproduction samples/prototypes, without any makers mark, for instance, at a discounted rate. "Factory seconds" sort of thing.

Welcome to the club. We have room for new members, although we do our very best to keep membership at an all time low. As is why we help in any way we can.

Offer them up to whoever will take them as long as you tell them it has an "oops" factor. The terms are yours to set.

That being said, I have one on the wall with a sign under it that reads "Don't EVER do this again!"

Jim

Jim -- I like that idea! Only problem is my wall would get coated with signs! LOL Thanks for the ideas, I like the sell discounted/swap for beer suggestions if the piece is functional and looks decent. Otherwise, its going in the trash -- that ought to make me work harder -- I cant afford to throw leather away.

I would make a point to use bellies for the prototypes. It's cheap and doesn't hurt so much when it it doesn't work the first time. But, I would then know what to do to fix the issue with the new design.

Until you have a Tried and True pattern, use cheap leather. It's happened to all of us.

Jim

As a newbie myself, I totally understand the pain. Even cheap leather stops being cheap when the mistakes are big enough! But the upside is lots of leather scraps. I have more than I know what to do with now. I've used my scrap bag for various straps, and I've been looking at small projects as well. There are some cool scrap projects on the pattern subforum. The cell phone stand keychain on the first page is easy as hell and uses up pretty small scraps.

Give it to your mother-in-law, when she straps it on, get out of town.