hidepounder

Legal Size Pad-folio

Here is a project I finished last week. It's a legal size pad folio. I have smudged the name because it's an XMas present....so if you know who it is....PLEASE DON'T SPILL THE BEANS! It detracts from the photo...but I didn't want to take a chance.

This is a Sheridan style pattern with a "Parkway" twist. I really struggled with this one...the customer wanted a basket weave border, but because of the unusual size, the border just didn't look good. Instead, I created a second, wider border inside the outer border and wrapped a vine around it. I then wove the main pattern in and out of the vine on the border. The inner border doesn't show as well as I'd hoped, but overall, I think it's okay. The back side has the same border. The exterior is constructed of two pieces 7-8 oz leather and the binding is split down to 5 oz. All three pieces have stiffeners under the liner. The tooling is antiqued and finished with Neat-Lac. The exterior edges were slicked, dyed and sewn with Rice, white #138 thread, top & bottom at 9 stitches per inch.

Legal_folio_016_edited_1_L_.jpgLegal_folio_019_L_.jpgLegal_folio_025_L_.jpg

The lining leather is 2 oz, natural, finished with Tan-Kote. It is sewn with Rice, white #69 thread, top & bottom, at 12 stitches per inch. All the edges are either turned and stitched or slicked. The back side of the lining components are finished with a tan nylon fabric.

Legal_folio_020_L_.jpgLegal_folio_023_L_.jpg

These photos aren't the best, but will have to do until I can update my camera. As usual, all critiques and comments are welcome.....and I'm thick skined, so don't be afraid to tell me what you think!

Bob

post-7682-1228176290_thumb.jpg

post-7682-1228176402_thumb.jpg

post-7682-1228179031_thumb.jpg

post-7682-1228179149_thumb.jpg

post-7682-1228179163_thumb.jpg

i do believe your struggles paid off...cuz that is smokin sharp bob!!

darryl

WOW oh WOW! Man I love your work. The design and execution is really something amazing. A great goal to have for me.

I think I can make out that name... it's , yes, it's Art Schwab!! I can't wait until Christmas.

Art

Edited by ArtS

Bob,

You have a very distinct style, but change it up on every new piece you are showing us. I am particularly drawn to the center element and the other florals coming off from it. Add in how these interact with the vine border, the vine interacts with the inner bead line, and it is over the top cool. I will defer on showing this piece to Rundi until after the current order board is minimized. I think a nonpaying order for a new purse is coming on. You guys just keep raising the bar. Thanks, amigo.

Just beautiful, Bob! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Crystal

Bob,

I think with some practice you could turn out something worth keeping. A cow had to die for that? Come on, show us something good!! :cow::devil:

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: Really Bob, Your work is some of the best I have seen!! I would love to get some pointers someday!! The kind of work you do is what so many of us here can only hope to ever get close to. Thanks for sharing that piece.

Rick Jorgenson

Bob, very nice piece, original and creative inside and out. A guy has to do a few of those to get it right. You done good.

Troy

That is very very nice. Way to go.

Oh, I dunno, Bob.

It's a good effort and all, but . . . is that the best you could do??

Harvey

(Well, you SAID you're thick skinned).

It will never make it past Santa. I predict it will be found at Santa's desk at the North Pole after he kleeps it out of his bag of gifts before he slides down the chimney!! Dayum... you just can't trust anyone these days when there is great leatherwork around!!

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Bob, what I like most is that you just do it your own way, it's tough to do your own thing and create something unique and top-notch, and you really pull it off everytime.

C'mon, Bob! You're making the rest of us look bad!

That is some seriously fine looking work! Thanks for sharing.

Hilly

Beautifull work, sharp crisp lines, excellent colours and the pattern is extremely well developed.

Nice

THIS IS GREAT from inside out! I just love it when you have that inlaid border interwoven with the florals. It gives it a whole new life. :notworthy:

Tom

Absolutely gorgeous!

Is there ANY way that you could do, say a 2-4 frame simple tutorial on how you plan/do your finger cuts.

I have studied yours and others and can't seem to figure out where to start.

Do you start at the base of the corners and works your way to the center, then up and outwards, start high on the edges and work to the bottom corner, do the left and try to match with the right, etc???

again- really beautiful work.

respectfully

pete

Now that is some super-fantastic work right there! Love that edge too.

KK

Just wanted to add that I love the way you put multiple flowers inside a single swirl of vines in your Sheridan work. Very original!

Bob,

Another Excellant example of your work!

:notworthy::thumbsup::notworthy:

Really like how the vines fit the scallops of the spine.

Johnny

Beautiful as always HP maybe ill have to take a trip out by ya n get some trade secrets lol. (ya like I get out of my area lol) Bronc :notworthy::cowgirl:

That is gorgeous - now for the newbie question ;0)

Not that I want leather to become anything but a hobby that pays for it's own tools etc in my case ... but how much would a piece like that sell for? I'm thinking that if I ever wanted to put something out anywhere near that quality, I'd be working for about 2 cents and hour! LOL

Very very nice work - checking out pieces like this excites me about this hobby in general - thanks :0)

edited to add ... and if I was able to produce something like this I certainly wouldn't work for 2 cents an hour ;0)

Edited by McJeep

Bob,

Out standing work again. Question: Do you slick by hand or use power slickers and the like?

Comment: I would have dyed the edges of the interior pieces as well, just to give this edges a little more definition, but you're making me think I need to take some art classes to be able to draw patterns like that.

Just WOW. :jawdropper:

sodapop, Art, Bruce, Crystal, Rick, Troy, MADMAX22, HARVEY, Bree, Jim, Hilly, 8thsinner, Tom, pete, Kevin, Johnny, Bonnie, McJeep, Marlon......

Thank you all for your comments and kind words, I appreciate them all! The support received here LW is inspiring......so, more to come!

Thanks again,

Bob

Bob,

Question: Do you slick by hand or use power slickers and the like?

Marlon,

Here's my process: I edge, wet the edge, liberally apply Fiebings bar saddlesoap to the edge, mechinically slick with heavy canvas sparingly impregnated with Fiebings paste soap (approx 1750 rpm). Next, I hand slick with a rub stick and then dye the edges, making sure I get good penetration and full coverage (spirit dye). When the dye is dry, I wipe off the residue (re-dye anything I'm not ahppy with), slick again mechanically with parafin coated canvas (1750 rpm), remove the residue with a cloth, polish with a clean, dry soft cloth. And there you have it! I will say, however, that this process is continually evolving as I learn new tips and discover new products and methods.

Hope this helps....

Bob

Edited by hidepounder

Bob,

your work is beautiful. first the organizer and now the folio. Both are amazing pieces of work and exhibit your talent for pattern creation. i think both are outstanding.

David Theobald

Love your work Bob,

and your touch to make everything look so finished, Wow:-)