Chief Filipino

How Do I Finish Leather But Keep The Leather Smell?

Is there a way to keep the leather smell but also finish it? I've been using acrylic resolene but the smell isn't what the client wants. Any ideas? I've watched several videos on youtube but none of them address my question.

Thank you

Only if you just finish one side,..........

Resolene seals the leather, . . . including smell.

May God bless,

Dwight

I've been using Aussie to finish the leather, gives it a slight bit of water resistance, a very nice hue, and smells great, at least in my humble opinion. Not as shiny/plasticy as the resolene, which I prefer - not so much into the shiny look on leather myself. You might try it on a small piece and see if you like the results.

YinTx

Ian Atkinson actually did a comparison of finishes including to how waterproof they are, smell during application and after drying, and what the finish looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyTg_hfpNUM

Thank you!

only time I've had that problem with resolene, and for that matter super sheen or any other finish, was when the dye wasn't dry enough and buffed enough before applying.

And yet I've let it dry for days and buffed it till the cloth comes back clean, but the resoline hits and boom, dye all over.

are you using water based dyes or oil based or alcohol based? I use mainly water based and seldom have an issue. Maybe try spraying it on with an airbrush or a small preval sprayer

I use an airbrush so I don't get dye bleed through

I do if I'm doing a bigger project but for something like a watch strap, too much work to dig out the sprayer.