adelvalle

Machine Singer 111W155

IMG_1539.jpg

Edited by northmount
fixed title to match model number

Hello, I am starting in leather business, I want to buy a machine to sew leather, is it machine is good..? i can"t find information in the web. I live in Montreal, The price is 550 CA. it's a walking food without running back. Please, Can you help me. Can I find the pieces in the marker.. if someone i need it. Thank you for your info.. Good day..

You need to define what leather you are intending to sew.  Garment weight, 3/4" harness, etc.  When you decide what type of work you are doing, then you can define what machine can do the work.

Techsew is in Montreal. 

You will get more responses in the sewing machine forum.  I'll move your post there.

Tom

Yup, there's a scratch that makes the "II" look like "H". The Singer 111W155 is a very popular and very capable sewing machine for upholstery and leather work. A great starter machine that's well known with lots of inexpensive parts available.

A well adjusted machine should sew up to 6-8mm of soft leather with size 138 thread without much trouble.

43 minutes ago, northmount said:

You need to define what leather you are intending to sew.  Garment weight, 3/4" harness, etc.  When you decide what type of work you are doing, then you can define what machine can do the work.

Techsew is in Montreal. 

You will get more responses in the sewing machine forum.  I'll move your post there.

Tom

Thank you for help me.  I saw the page techsew, but my budget is lower... I can start 500$CA more and less. I have other offer, Machine Omega WF22ZZ new with zig zag in 425$CA semi industrial portable with this:

Motor 1.5 amps.
Carrying handle.
automatic tensioning system.
electronic controller for high speed accuracy.
Support included for big son coils.

warranty 1 year.

What do you consider the better option.? or what should I know or ask?

I'll do bags, accessories like Wallets, Card holders, purse, key chain and decoration like baskets and trays I start to do some examples and I am sewing by hand. The leather is Ref. Duquesa it is 1.2/1.4.   I sewed up between 1/8 et 3/16". 

If you need more information or you want give more advice.. Don't be shy.. Thank you...!! all that you can say me.. it'll help me.

Capture d’écran 2016-04-28 à 11.21.57.png

11 minutes ago, adelvalle said:

Thank you for help me.  I saw the page techsew, but my budget is lower... I can start 500$CA more and less. I have other offer, Machine Omega WF22ZZ new with zig zag in 425$CA semi industrial portable with this:

I would think the old singer would do what you want better than a seamstress/dress making machine will.  I have a techsew 2700 and a 1975 singer industrial 20-33 dress making machine.  For light weight flat stuff (2 or 3 layers of 1mm each of pigskin, etc. for wallet liners), the singer does okay.  The 2700 cylinder arm does better for most stuff, especially for purses where you need to be able to reach inside.  I use the 2700 more than the singer.

When you get a machine, get leather point needles too.  They help the backside look a lot better.

Call Ron at Techsew and see if he has any used machines.

Tom

Salut adelvalle :) ..le Singer 111W155 c'est la meilleur option pour toi pour demarrer, pas mal des pieces sont dispo' toujours, pieds de biche etc , , c'est presque increvable, solide, tres bon matos :)
Par contre .."Machine Omega WF22ZZ new with zig zag in 425$CA semi industrial portable" non..trop faible..le descriptif.. "semi industrial portable".. c'est du n'importe quoi..

Translation / Traduction..Because I think that adelevalle is francophone with English as second language so maybe a reply in French helps ?..I wrote..

Hi adelvalle the Singer 11W155 is the best option for you to begin with, a lot of the pieces are still available, feet etc, it is almost unbreakable.
In contrast the "Machine Omega WF22ZZ new with zig zag in 425$CA semi industrial portable" , no, it is not powerful enough, "semi industrial portable" means nothing / is a rubbish description..

a lire read this .by Wiz..

Edited by mikesc

I started sewing with a Singer 111W155 and think it is a very capable machine. Other than lacking reverse it seemed just a capable as my current machine, a Juki 1508. Unless you are skilled with a clutch-motor, you might want to consider variable speed servo-motor.

Here is a link to the user manual.

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/111W152_W153_W154_W155.pdf

Edited by Tejas

Merci, Guys.

I found other machine, It's other machine.. SInger 211 G 166, in 600 $CA (465 $US) in your opinion. is better that one or the other one (singer 111 W 155) in 500$CA. For me, they are so similar... Singer 211 G 166 it's more new but i think less hard.. What is your advice. Thank you.! and good day.IMG_1508.jpg

I like the 211 better since it has reverse (backstitch). Reverse is worth $100 to me.

You will probably want to install a servo motor, but other than that, it is a good machine.

Edited by BigMatt

211G166 is good for what you want..better ( more recent ) than 111W155..and just as "solide" , and, like BigMatt says..it has reverse ( very useful , saves a lot of manipulation ) ..I have a 211U 166A..( made in Japan ) a very similar machine..Lots of spare parts available :)

Fitting a servo motor is a good idea..much more control on any machine, and you can get good servo motors for not much more money than the cost of buying a speed reducer.

Edited by mikesc

The 211s are nice. I have an old 211G155 so no reverse which kind of sucks but other then that the machine is a beast. The clutch motor on these flies so slowing it down is a must. One trick is putting a foam pad under the pedal (I use a piece of pipe insulation the anti freeze foam wrapped in a towel) this allows you to slowly feather the clutch easier. 

I think either the 211 or 111 if in good mechanical order would suit you fine, just have to work with any short comings of an older machine. Ofcourse Bob or Wizcraft would be the guys to talk to about what is best between the two. 

Most people that have ran both will like the 111w better esp for leather because it has a larger & heavier handwheel & parts are more plentiful for the 111w too.

Agree with Bob but the reverse function is something I would miss. So I would go with the 211 most likely.

If you can find a 111G156 I think I recall from other other on-line information that it, or at least some, has reverse.

For what you want to sew the 211 will be more than adequate, and reverse really does make life easier.

Thank you guys, I don't understand so much about servo motor.. but the rest.. is Ok. THANK YOU.!

re servo motor..sewing machines used to be fitted with clutch motors ( moteur a embrayage ) they use a friction plate to transfer the force from the motor ( which is always turning at a fast speed ) to the pulley that drives the belt from the motor ( below the table )to the "sewing  machine head" ( the part above the table or "bati" )..When you press the pedal the friction plate is moved and  makes contact and the pulley spins..usually very fast..so the machine can be hard to control to run at slow speeds..to run slowly ( and have good control for leather sewing ) you need to move the friction disc ( clutch / embrayage disc ) just a little, ( this is called feathering the clutch )..it can be hard to learn..c'est delicat et pas tres evident..

The clutch motor runs fast all the time..and uses electricity all the time..and sometimes requires that you have access to AC current 3 phase ( tri phase )..some will run on domestic mono phase supply..or can be adapted to do so, if you know what you are doing with electricity ..

example of a clutch motor

http://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Clutch-motor-sewing-machine-motor-250W-high-speed-industrial-sewing-machine/32471847899.html

Compare with..

A servo motor ( runs only when you press the pedal, is DC but plugs into AC domestic supply ) and is variable from verrrrry slow to fast..

Un servomoteur c'est un moteur qui fonctionne en courant continu d'intensité réglable par une system électronique et ça consome presque rien par rapport au moteur a embrayage.

example of a servo motor..

http://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-500W-AC-servo-motor-for-Industrial-Sewing-Machine-instead-clutch-motor-Free-shipping-by-DHL/32260915360.html

a lire aussi

http://www.voiles-alternatives.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=366

et  re le dernier lien...les variateurs à fréquence sont cher, et mieux etre un bon electricien pour le montage etc..

HTH :) ..btw ..I'm still thinking that you maybe read French too ?..even my French ( avec mes fautes d'ortho ) with some grammar mistakes ;)

Edited by mikesc

A walking foot machine with servo motor and speed reducer..not my video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_SjYNjPUA0

and

A walking foot machine with a clutch motor..video by wiz...he can make a clutch motor machine ( with maybe a speed reducer ? )run really slow..takes practice..lots of practice..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-QjJgJKKVM

and finally..

A walking foot machine with a clutch motor running the way they usually do..fast..and quite hard to control..sewing textile..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o7yT8v9jM0

Edited by mikesc