Gregspitz

Installing speed reducer on Friday Hope it goes well

installing speed reducer on Techsew 5580 Roller foot machine..

several steps.

strip down the table to....

move legs of the table!

enlarge belt slot

move bobbin winder 

move servo motor

INSTALL new Needle Position circuit board in Servo Motor to work with speed reducer

install speed reducer pulley

adjust everything as you reassemble and put machine back in place

and pray it all works..

all this to go slow

anyone else do this and have any tips???

thanks for listening..

Edited by Gregspitz

Have done it several times. Just take it slow, double....triple check everything before you do it and it will all come out fine. Will be well worth the effort in the end. 

thanks...I have a friend who is a master carpenter for the table modifications...I think between the 2 of us we should be able to do it..

the part I am worried about is installing the new circuit board in the servo motor so that the needle positioning works.

Techsew will help on the phone when we get to that part

I have replaced the aorta in several patients so I am hoping this is easier.

There will be less ( but maybe some ) blood involved in installing the speed reducer :)
re the circuit board, usually the only precaution you need to take when installing circuit boards ( whether in PCs or anything else ) is to make sure that the polarity is correct ( connectors are usually designed to go on just the one way to make it easier ) and to avoid static electricity as you would when working on a PC..and to remember to switch off and unplug the mains power before doing anything..
Count your screwdrivers and tools before closing up ;)

Your hand sewing is no doubt amazingly precise, as it is rather more "mission critical" ( as lives really do depend on it ) than the hand sewing of the rest of us..

So......how did it go?

6 hours ago, Hockeymender said:

So......how did it go?

I assume it's still in recovery. He'll send someone to post an update. :yeah: I crack myself up. 

Regards, Eric 

I have replaced the aorta in several patients so I am hoping this is easier. So long as they weren't there to get a tooth pulled or something else I'd recon it should turn OK! Did they Live? just wondering.

Maybe it is still in intensive care*, rigged up to a machine that goes "ping" ! :)

*Nope, "intensive care" for a sewing machine would mean it was on Eric's bench :)

Wishing a speedy recovery to the patient !

With help from Techsew Ron Mike and Eric (very patient thank you!) and my friend Harold the carpenter we

moved the legs, shifted the motor, enlarged the belt slot, installed the reducer pulley...

blah blah blah and reassembled it all . Took from 9am until I was sewing at 5PM.....overall I learned a lot and it completely changed the machine. torque and precision for what I do mostly is making watch straps

changed the servo motor circuit board to accomodate the needle positioning with the reducer...I NOW have the machine that I dreamed of! Smooth Smooth and plunges through the leather precisely.

If and when you do this take your time, measure a lot and buy several belts of different sizes around what you think you need. I made a couple trips to the auto parts store and finally a 36 inch V belt fit perfect.

I have the NP motor set to stop in the down position. my favorite part is when I hit the heel of the foot pedal and it GLIDES out of the material and stops. This is not a slow motion video this is real time.

here is a video

Nicely done!