Uwe

When to stop and turn the material

Serafil is no good by me and gives a lot of headaches with tension. I find it too slippery and shreds easily. Coats poly is better but try Strongbond from Shann it was called Venus and in my onion is the best by far. It is very strong and burns off well.I use it in all sizes.  http://www.shann.com.au/product/amann-strongbond-thread-bonded-nylon/84

Thanks mate, that site looks good unfortunately according to their home-page they only sell to the trade.

Fortunately I only bought a small spool of Serafil to try (won't buy any more). I tried another run with the M20/#138 Coats on the Pfaff and found that if I feed slowly it's fine, but if I try to speed things up I run the risk of the thread snagging - I'm pretty sure it's the hook catching the thread rather than the loop. No big deal as I go slow anyway.

Back to Uwe's reason for starting this thread, I also found that thicker leather can be problematic when stopping and turning the material. If the needle is only just in the material the thicker stuff can push the needle out of alignment if care isn't taken, so having the needle at the bottom of its travel is probably safer. (I found this out the hard way and put a very nice double offset bend in a needle, beats me why it didn't break!).