plinkercases

Juki 1341 experience? pros cons?

To start yes I did a forum search and read up on wherever this machine appeared but I am now just looking for specific feed back on it from those who know it or use one?

So... I do all kinds of stuff of varying thicknesses but for the gun leather and sheaths thicker stuff usually hand sew or use my Boss. I am considering investing in a machine that can run from the upholstery leather stuff up to perhaps 2x11 oz = 22/64 = 2.75/8 (if my math hasn't failed me.. again). I have a line on a new in box Juki 1341 with stand et al for a very good wholesale Canadian Dollar price.

I will not be in any way a production shop any time soon and more for a Jobby (Hobby that pays a little) but I would like to pay and cry once for machine that will serve my light duty use for the coming years.

I know it is server motor, walking foot top and bottom feed, large bobbin, tub arm, and can pass 3/8th total thickness under the needle.

I am not really looking for alternatives just some feed back on this particular machine right now if you don't mind. Unless of course someone has a great deal here in Ontario on an equal or better machine for less than $1900CND....

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can share about this machine.

Have you checked with Techsew yet? They are located in Montreal, Canada and carry all major brands, plus their own Techsew badged clones. Techsew is a long time advertiser and supporter of Leatherworker.net.

Was the $1900 price for a machine purchased inside Canada, from a Juki dealer? That is not such a bad deal considering the conversion of your dollar and, that if anything goes wrong, you can probably have it serviced without it leaving the Country.

Yup purchased from the importer direct and tax in, Canadian dollars and I can drive there to get it. he also does service so one stop shop. As I say I am not shopping around per se so I have checked out anything else but just walked in this opportunity and am wondering about this particular machine and if it is OK for my needs.

My last Juki was an LU-563. The 1541 shares a lot of features with that old model. Both use large LU bobbins that hold a lot more thread than even the large M style bobbins used in some industrial sewing machines. The 1541 is more geared toward casual users than the more expensive 1508 series. It should sew 10mm thickness, but that is the maximum. After that, parts will hit each other and all hell will break loose (literally).

Make sure you get a demo of the machine sewing your own leather. Ask all kinds of operational questions. Record the demo sewing and all adjustment tutorials you are offered. Buy all manner of needles, bobbins and thread. Buy a quart of Juki oil. Get thread snips. Make sure you are comfortable with the position of the knee lever, or get it readjusted before you take the machine home. Get any accessory feet, folders and edge guides at the time of the sale.

Juki machines are well built, no matter which Country has the factory. The parts and tolerances are high quality. Parts are available all over the World and there are hundreds of aftermarket accessories that fit them.

Thanks Wiz. You are saying 1531 but I assume you do mean the 1341 I am looking at. Whichever I am sure most comments would apply anyhow.

The manufacturer's site says presser foot by knee 16mm so that's good.

Good to know they are well manufactured and serviceable.

I would like to here from anyone who has used one? the search of the site seems to indicate a few folks own them but they were old threads.

That's a pretty nice price so I would consider it for that money, though It would be great if some 1341 operators chime in that have stitched a lot of thick stuff and for sure if they put some layers of leather or any gear like  2 x 11oz on that particular machine.  At the moment I'm showing .344" on my calculator of 11/64 x 2:) but its a new one.

My 1341 will stick with the lighter stuff for a bit, as I haven't tried it on any heavy duty, and would most likely push that project under a bigger foot machine unless it needs or request a small cylinder arm, I'm mean 2 layers of that may need bigger thread securing that.

But again great price for a Juki.

Good day there

Floyd

What do you use yours for project wise and max thickness? What is your max thread and needle size you run? Happy with it?

And yes 2x11 oz = .344 = 8.74mm so technically it could fit under 10-16mm lift but as you say..

And thanks for a nod on the price.

Starting to really consider this now.

2 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Thanks Wiz. You are saying 1531 but I assume you do mean the 1341 I am looking at. Whichever I am sure most comments would apply anyhow.

The manufacturer's site says presser foot by knee 16mm so that's good.

Good to know they are well manufactured and serviceable.

I would like to here from anyone who has used one? the search of the site seems to indicate a few folks own them but they were old threads.

My bad. Sorry bout that Chief. I am not yet versed on the 1341. But, I can tell you from my very brief investigation, they sell for the mid to high 4k US range. That would put the price in Canadian dollars at least at $5,000. So, I assume you are buying a very used machine for only $1900 CDN

I work with canvas projects and maybe an 1/8" over seams so not a comparison with the sheaths and leather gear projects.

At this time I haven't a lot of time on it, and honestly set it up for canvas exclusively, it is quite the machine and I am here to first help in your search but would like to hit myself in the head if you can get a new one for 1900. Canadian/1450.US they can run twice that amount.

In my opinion I see you work with more holsters so recommend something with heavier thread, this in my small opinion is best suited to the lighter work on your site, and nice site by the way.

If you decide this, please look with some others here on that particular, but in any account it will stitch all day long forever the stuff I do.

Photo2620.jpg

9 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

My bad. Sorry bout that Chief. I am not yet versed on the 1341. But, I can tell you from my very brief investigation, they sell for the mid to high 4k US range. That would put the price in Canadian dollars at least at $5,000. So, I assume you are buying a very used machine for only $1900 CDN

No worries Wiz and no it is new in box from the importer/distributor and branded Kobi but the same mechanical unit.

Unfortunately he doesn't have one set up but I can ask him who he sells to that may have one on the floor then take some of my thicker veg tan to them and see it will run it.

he did show me a sample of almost have inch built up of upholstery leather layers that he said it can do. and a sample with a seem made of fairly robust upholstery leather with a piping in it.

More to think about and thanks lads.

I had a 1341 before I acquired my CB 4500. It was a great machine and was built like a tank. Everything I threw at at it handled without complaint. I used to run 180 needles and sew plastic knee caps on to shin guards. I also sewed skate boots with it. Don't know how the Kobi version stacks up, but the Juki 1341 is a war horse IMHO. 

The clones sometimes need considerable setup and tweaking out of the box to make them cooperate. Usually the dealer does that. If you're doing it yourself, here's the engineering manual for the Juki 134x series to help with that task:

http://semsi.com.mx/Manuales/JUKI/LS-1340&42-7EM01_e.pdf

Edited by Uwe

To think I had a few factory manuals, but lacking that above information I considered when there was a question you could be ask.

Now you went a put the exact manual in front of me for homework, OMG this old and still homework!

Thanks Uwe!, you da man

Floyd

There are very few true Juki LS-1341 clones out there, actually. Most clones are based on the older Juki LS-341 design, the predecessor to the 1341. The info on the Kobe House brand's  Japan Sewing Machine & Supply Co. website is a bit sparse.  Do you have any pictures of your Kobe 1341 clone?

Edited by Uwe

Uwe the importer also deals in Juki name brand as well and told me it was made by the same manufacturer but just literally rebranded to Kobi so no a clone but rebrand of the same mechanical unit. But I will confirm that with him if I am going to buy. Thanks for the manual and I think I will ask him to unbox and set it up for me even if I have to pay him a little more if I go for it. I can literally put it in the van and be home in 15 minutes so it should stay as set.

Thanks Hockeymender for the good feed back.

Thanks all for the help so far.

4 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Uwe the importer also deals in Juki name brand as well and told me it was made by the same manufacturer but just literally rebranded to Kobi so no a clone but rebrand of the same mechanical unit. But I will confirm that with him if I am going to buy. Thanks for the manual and I think I will ask him to unbox and set it up for me even if I have to pay him a little more if I go for it. I can literally put it in the van and be home in 15 minutes so it should stay as set.

Thanks Hockeymender for the good feed back.

Thanks all for the help so far.

There has to be more than a different name tag to account for a price difference of $2,500. Somebody is pulling your leg. You get what you pay for in sewing machines. Ask for a warranty that covers parts and labor for x number of months, just in case, plus ask if you can call the dealer for help when things go south.

I was in his warehouse, saw the boxes, saw his tech room, saw machines out, and was referred there by a dealer who says, "if you want industrial machines or parts in Toronto this is the guy". This all comes out of him not being able to help with an adaptor to put a presser foot on my old Singer 96K51, he asked what I was using it fro and I explained and so he says "I can sell you this for that." Shows me the Juki catalogue he has and picture on his inventory pics but says the only difference is it says Kobe on it - which is his own "brand" - may be a clone or relabelled but I am asking him that - no reason fro him to carry his own brand and it not be a reliable machine.  he said fro specs I can just look at the Juki site and materials. I asked " You will sell to me at wholesale and new?" and he says yes and its in the box or I would show it to you. He even wants the tax on top of 1,700 CD which brings it to about 1,900. Wasn't fishing fro a cash deal and I didn't ask for one. Sure would be a business expense.

I see no reason for him to pull my leg and perhaps mess his reputation (not that I could do real damage as a little guy, but I could go back to the dealer who referred me etc..) and he seemed upset he couldn't help me since my machine was over 80 years old. Nice guy and so was his tech.

http://www.japansewing.com/index.html

This could just me I was in the right place at the right time.

And yes of course I will make sure I am clear on who services it if it goes south.. him or a dealer.. and I will be confident of warranty details before I buy from him. Again I see no reason for him as one of the heads  of the machine food chain here to mess a little guy like me over. But I have been wrong before I am sure....

I am waiting for an email answer to a few questions before I make any decisions.

More will ne revealed I am sure.

I don't doubt what you seen at the business, earlier in the year I seen clones looked to be exactly as the 1342, including the knob on the top so adjusting the step option. I cannot seem to recall a name on it but I sure was surprised at it with the option as mentioned. Also I remember it was listing under 2000US wherever on this net, so if your looking look for the options.

Its a small world nowadays, take a look at the shirt label your wearing or the screw driver in your tool boxes. We all have to go on experience and when a new item is out we hunker around and learn what we can and keep working or tweakin.

Keep us all posted, and its always great to hear of new business startups.

Floyd

Having a dealer close-by who's personable, knowledgable and motivated is a big deal and worth a LOT all by itself. If you get good vibes from them, then the machine you're considering may be a perfect fit with great support. I personally really like the Juki LS-341 and LS-1341 class of machines and a well-done clone or re-badge is the prudent choice for many crafters.

The same-factory-different-label cooperation between OEM and secondary custom branding is somewhat rare in the sewing machine world but it does happen. The Durkopp Adler and Global brands are one example. DA makes post bed machines at the Minerva plant in the Czech Republic. DA bought the Minerva plant from Global and made some cooperation agreement. All the machines come off the same assembly line, but the higher-end machines with more bells and buttons get the DA logo, the basic machines get the Global logo.

Juki does operate factories in both Japan and China to my knowledge and who knows what goes on behind closed doors during the night shift. 

He did say all the Juki attachments and such all fit the Kobe. Anyhow I will connect with him on Monday and get someone info and certainty pass it on.

Just glad to here good things about the 1341 which is a start.

Thanks all.

OK so I had a good long chat with Chris from Japan Sewing Machines and here is the scoop;

• its clone of the Juki with 90% very same parts but assembled by Kobe in there own plant
  • all the same functionality as the Juki 1341
  • it is industrial grade
  • he will assemble, set up/adjust and give me a training session for 50 more bucks in his warehouse
  • comes with servo motor
  • 1 yr warranty on the motor
  • 90 days on the machine
  • if it needs service later his tech there or any of the guys he knows will do it for me cash and on my site if necessary

Now I need to sell my Boss for sure.

It sounds like you may have found another machine for your projects, and a dealer with some techs close to you, that's always great.

I know whats wrong with that, and its I'm to far away : )

As for the Boss I haven't used one but thought they used pretty big thread. So with the 1341 having a max bobbin size thread of 138 as the standard it may be nice to keep the other for awhile. But I can see a big 4500 around the corner in your future ; )

So keeping the Boss question I will gladly pass to someone else as ive stirred the coals hehe.

Your having way to much fun

good day

Floyd

The Boss should go to help fund this machine. But it may not sell so.....

I amusing 277 in it for the few things I did use it for.

The heavy stuff I can still stitch by hand. I think I will stitch by hand for the few holsters and sheaths I make and use the machine for belts, cases and bags (I make shooting bags and stuff out of old couch hide that this would be great for.)

Now I have an objective I will have to do the fund raising. he said just let him know when I ma ready.\

Thanks for the vicarious excitement Floyd.

Looks like you're onto a good thing, pc.:specool:. Plus it sounds like that machine may be a better fit for what you're actually doing.

I've made a few Western-style rigs/holsters and was a little disappointed at first when I realised than none of my machines were suitable for stitching the holsters (their capabilities are probably similar to the machine you're looking at) but then I figured I was better of hand stitching them anyway as it gives a stronger product and I feel that I have greater control over the process. The machines are great for the belts, however, which I found very time-consuming when hand stitching.