giorgi

modify the sewing machine

Whether it is possible to alter / modify the industrial sewing machine with high bed and a triple-type feeder material into the machine type McKay stitcher ?

кожа Маккей замок Стежка брошюровщица швейная машина Mascotte Бессер Седло кобуры - Изображение 1

Edited by giorgi

Hi Giorgi,

Would you please ask your question another way? Do you have a particular machine in mind for modification? What are the particular qualities of the McKay that you want to achieve?

Thanks,

Gary

I cannot imagine any way to convert a walking foot or any other type of lockstitch machine to sew like a McKay. It is a machine unto itself. McKays only have one thread, which is fed up a long tube on the bottom, with a very special mechanism that forms proper stitches on the outside, with chain stitches on the inside. The end of this tube has a bent horn to hold a shoe upside down. That horn and the assembly it is attached to are movable in any direction, as you hold the shoe upside down and sew through its outsole and insole.

Here is an instructional video by a McKay user...

Amazing! I love the "calibrated leather wedge" for adjusting the pressure - very technical!!:lol:

Thank you for your answers .. I will formulate my question differently ... whether it is possible to alter / modify the sewing machine with high bed in a machine with a rotating / movable horn for lock stitch? .... I'm going to buy a Russian machine specifically for rework if possible .. .

In the Russian classification --- an industrial sewing machine class 236 PMZ Podolsk Engineering Plant - single-needle, designed for sewing leather boots and backs to the rear for nastrochki belts.

The machine sews two-strand shuttle line.

thanks for any commentary

236.jpg

Edited by giorgi

The last picture shows a post bed machine with an oscillating shuttle hook if I´m right? F.i. like the old Singer 34K or Adler Class 7. So if I get you right you want to modify a machine like the one in the last picture with a rotating / movable horn from from sole stitcher in the 1st picture?

I don´t understand the purpose and I don´t think it is possible.

Just now, Constabulary said:

Последняя картина показывает кровать машина столб с колеблющимся челноком, если I'm не так ли? Fi, как старый Singer 34К или Адлер класса 7. Так что, если я получаю вас правильно, вы хотите изменить машину, как в последней картине с вращающимся / подвижным рогом из единственного из сшивальщика в 1-й картине?

Я не понимаю цели, и я не думаю, что это возможно.

the purpose - to sew the soles with a rotating horn ..

Add or convert a post bed to a rotatable post machine..? ( which would get you halfway there )...I cannot see it being possible without access to an engineering shop..That said..even if you can find the "horn", from looking at the diagram of the "post part" of the post bed that you have, with some cutting and brazing/welding, and some bearings you could make the post able to rotate, but the , in my view, insurmountable problem would be that the point of the hook would not always be in line with the needle in order to make a stitch.

Edited by mikesc

Then you have to buy a sole stitcher - modifying an (probably) undersized machine does not make sense.

Edited by Constabulary

I think the hook would need to be of the end like the machine here. Landis have something similar I believe.This works great for sidewall stitching but I'm not sure about through a hard thick sole.

sidewall-stitcherfull.jpg

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

I think the hook would need to be of the end like the machine here. Landis have something similar I believe.This works great for sidewall stitching but I'm not sure about through a hard thick sole.

I've never seen a machine with a bed/arm like that, interesting for sure.

1 hour ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

I've never seen a machine with a bed/arm like that, interesting for sure.

They are the latest new craze in the Asian shoe making trade. The answer to the McKays with their limited availability, hugeness and heavy weight. I have seen these machines online, with a few different name badges, but not in person. I think it would be interesting to get more details about them.

What a fascinating machine, Rocky. I gather that the arm can be rotated (about 160 degrees or so)?

Watching that video that Wiz posted reminds me of the old American adage - there's no replacement for cubic inches!! That machine is a brute, going through that thick sole like it was paper (and with thread resembling small rope!!). Even if the OP could modify a suitable machine by fitting the "horn" (mission impossible, I reckon) it would probably lack the brute force required to punch through sole leather and would still be limited in thread/needle size.

It's not something I would even consider.

Hi Giorgi,

To form a lock stitch, a very precise relationship must be maintained between the needle and the shuttle and I can't think of a way to have a rotating horn that contains a bobbin shuttle that doesn't rotate. Even if you could, the shuttle, on either a vertical or horizontal axis, would have to stay on one side of the needle so you'd have that mass preventing you from sewing close to most of the upper and the edge of the sole.

I hate to say that something is not possible but what think I understand you are asking for is, at least, very nearly impossible.

Gary