metroplexchl

need help finding some polyester stripping for stretch poitns

So i have a few bags that I've made that have points on them where the leather stretches out a little over time from the constant use or at weight bearing points in the bag.  I've thought about sewing in some polyester strips or fabric in between the outer leather and the interior layer of garment leather at those points that have a tendency to stretch out.  I thought polyester because it would not stretch like leather does, but I'm open to suggestions.

Any ideas on where I can find something like this? Not sure what they would be called actually....a search for polyester stripping reveals countless inapplicable solutions...

thanks,

chris

Saddleback Leather installs these on their bags.

I haven't had any better luck in searching than you have.

Maybe one if the pros knows something???

I would say any upholstery supplier should be able to help. There are many types like seat belt webbing etc. If that's close try your local wrecking yard maybe.

I bought some poly webbing or strapping from Ohio Travel Bag. Just go to their page and search webbing. It comes in different widths and colors

Fibreglass tape, like used for drywall repairs works too.  May need more than one layer depending on the amount of strain.

Tom

Whoa....just saw saddleback leather for the first time....amazing stuff.

I looked at the seatbelt webbing but feel like its too thick.  I was thinking some sort of fabric that doesn't stretch (like polyester maybe? there may be others) but comes in sheets (that can be cut into strips or small swatches) or strips.  Like maybe duct tape thickness at most?...something that wouldn't show an obvious bulge from the inside.

Did you watch the how to rip off a saddleback bag? Dave is pretty funny. 

That video shows them inserting the polyester in all the lashing and strap points.

Did you watch the how to rip off a saddleback bag? Dave is pretty funny. 

That video shows them inserting the polyester in all the lashing and strap points.

Yeah I found that one last night. That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Any ideas on what its called (so I can search for it) or where I can get some?

I don't know. I have tried to search for that stuff and can't find it either. 

Reinforcement tape from Lisa Sorrell sounds great.

Another option would be fiberglass window screen, or even aluminum wire screen if you really need additional strength.  Either can be cut to whatever width and length you need.

Tom

I had this same question. I went to Jo-Ann's fabric and found polyester ribbon. Much thinner than webbing. 

image.jpg

Thanks