Dan Miller

First show booth featuring my leather work

Here is a photo of the first arts show I did last weekend featuring my leatherwork. There are the chairs, leather boat bailing scoops and camera straps (neck and wrist). Didn't sell much, but lots of interest in the chairs.

Dan

P8280019.jpg

Nice set up.

Very Nice!! Combines my two loves .. wood working and leatherwork.

15 minutes ago, venator said:

Dammit. . . now I have to make some chairs. . .

Those are awesome.

LOL!! Right! My dance card is full of all the things I want to make and then someone else posts something cool and I go ... damn .. now I gotta make myself a chair!! I still havent made my damn Card wallet!  :)

Too many talented creative people around here ...

Beautiful work Mister !!

On 2016-09-06 at 6:21 PM, venator said:

I desperately need to find some craft sales or something to sell at that don't cost $1500 for a booth.

Some malls will let you setup for a couple days for a much more reasonable fee.  Contact the mall management company.

Tom

14 hours ago, northmount said:

Some malls will let you setup for a couple days for a much more reasonable fee.  Contact the mall management company.

Tom

Solid idea,  unfortunately I don't currently have a set-up like tables, chairs, display cases etc.  But maybe in the future.

4 hours ago, venator said:

Solid idea,  unfortunately I don't currently have a set-up like tables, chairs, display cases etc.  But maybe in the future.

We used just a couple tables many years ago.

Tom

On September 6, 2016 at 8:21 PM, venator said:

I desperately need to find some craft sales or something to sell at that don't cost $1500 for a booth.

Look around for various shows - the one I was at when I took the photo that started this thread was under $200 for a two-day show. It was in a small town in a touristic region.

On 2016-09-06 at 9:21 PM, venator said:

I'm booked into 6 shows this upcoming fall season and the most expensive one is 40.00 for an 8' table. All set up, tables, chairs are provided and I just need to show up with my stuff and put it on the table.

Man I can so relate to this.   I've attended a number of shows where I didn't sell squat but took immense satisfaction knowing I had the hippest booth at the event.  On one hand you have doing what you have to or need to and on the other there's making the world a more beautiful place and never the tween shall meet.

For those of you looking for places to show off your wares, have you looked into your local SCA chapters?  SCA stands for "Society of Creative Anachronism", which is basically historical re-enactment from medieval times.  I think pretty much every state has several events in it a year, and they almost always have vendors.  If your leatherworking LOOKS like it could fit in with older stuff (and tooling has been around a loooooong time) then you'd probably be able to get away with your stuff there, although it would be a good idea to talk to someone involved and show them some pictures of your wares.  Things like chairs would probably sell really well, especially if they're lightweight and transportable.  Things like pouches that conceal tablets/phones would also do well.  And I can tell you that there are VERY few vendor tables that would be unreasonably priced.  Of course, it's a good idea to go to some of your local SCA meetings to see what's what before just diving in, and some may have rules that you have to be a member to be a vendor.  

Just thought I'd throw that out there as an unexplored venue that some may not have thought of.  

Also Dan, NICE setup!  Very inviting looking. :)