dikman

Oh dear, another machine.....

Looks like I've just bought another machine (not that I need it:rolleyes:). No model number in the advert, blurry photos but it's a Seiko, looks like an 8BLD. I rang the seller and she said there's no model number on it, so I asked if it was a walking foot. She wasn't sure so sent me a photo of the needle/foot area. Definitely a walking foot, so for $150 I said I'd take it!!:)

It was about 6 months old when they bought it, around 1993, so virtually one owner, used for upholstery work (not leather). Now I just have to work out how to pick it up in a couple of days. Don't know where I'm going to put it yet.....

It would fit at my house. Lol

Sounds like a great deal !!

Once I get it I'll definitely post some piccies. The woman said they hadn't used it much for the last 4 years so probably needs a service, said it worked fine other than a bit of an issue with the lower thread tension.

Bob, what I really want/need is a Cowboy, ideally a 4500 but a 3200 would suffice. Unfortunately they're a bit dear new, and the chance of getting one used is nil and buckley's (in other words, none!) so if I see a nice "ordinary" walking foot at a good price I buy it to make myself feel better :rolleyes:.

My idea is to hopefully set this one up for 138 thread and leave it, so that I don't have to fiddle with my others whenever I change thread size.

22 hours ago, dikman said:

Looks like I've just bought another machine (not that I need it:rolleyes:). No model number in the advert, blurry photos but it's a Seiko, looks like an 8BLD. I rang the seller and she said there's no model number on it, so I asked if it was a walking foot. She wasn't sure so sent me a photo of the needle/foot area. Definitely a walking foot, so for $150 I said I'd take it!!:)

It was about 6 months old when they bought it, around 1993, so virtually one owner, used for upholstery work (not leather). Now I just have to work out how to pick it up in a couple of days. Don't know where I'm going to put it yet.....

You can never have too many machines!!!

A Seiko at that price is a bargain and if you resell it you have the knowledge to sell it properly and make some money so you can buy new machines from me LOL

11 hours ago, dikman said:

Once I get it I'll definitely post some piccies. The woman said they hadn't used it much for the last 4 years so probably needs a service, said it worked fine other than a bit of an issue with the lower thread tension.

Bob, what I really want/need is a Cowboy, ideally a 4500 but a 3200 would suffice. Unfortunately they're a bit dear new, and the chance of getting one used is nil and buckley's (in other words, none!) so if I see a nice "ordinary" walking foot at a good price I buy it to make myself feel better :rolleyes:.

My idea is to hopefully set this one up for 138 thread and leave it, so that I don't have to fiddle with my others whenever I change thread size.

A Cb4500 is $4500 in the land of Aus. Shipping to SA is around $350

CB3200 is $3500 plus shipping

As Darren said - you never have too many machines. Buy it and consider it as investment and later on as part of your pension when you sell it - one day :lol:

I currently only have 6 fully operating industrial sewing machines in my shop. Additionally, there is a Singer 111w103 head being rebuilt a little at a time (it will share the table with the 31-15). I also have a blind stitcher and a serger, as I do garment repairs and hemming. I rebuild and sell old domestic Singer sewing machines and occasionally pull one off the rack to sew linings, or demo the machine.

I still need more machines! I could really use a post machine and curse time and space every time a job comes in that could use one.

Addicts.  

Thanks to you folks, I can't even watch a movie, documentary or video with sewing machines in it without backing up and maybe even pausing to see what machines are being used.  I don't even have an industrial machine, just a domestic.  I'm not sure, but I think I'm getting addicted too!

But seriously, thanks for all the info.  When I take the plunge and do get a leather sewing machine I'll be able to make a much more informed selection!  And I know just where to turn when things inevitably go wrong.

Bill

Thanks for the prices, Darren - I think :(. Because this is only a hobby for me (and I sell very little, only to fellow shooting club members who ask me to make something for them) I can't even consider one at those prices- unfortunately. It just means I have to handstitch the really thick stuff.

Whiz, if you lived closer (;)) we could possibly do a deal on my Singer postbed machine.

Ok, a few photos of my latest acquisition.

It appears to be in pretty good condition, just needs a bit of fluff cleaned out and oiling. It's a large bobbin (yay) and I got 5 spares with it, a bunch of needles (probably cloth) and some oddments of thread (#69). I also bought some nice imported Irish Tweed from her as I'm thinking it might make a couple of nice rifle bags.

So, a question for all you knowledgeable types - how do I figure out what model it is? I can't find any model number, the only thing on it is a serial number - TH 9908501.

Seiko 1a.jpg

Seiko 2a.jpg

Seiko 3a.jpg

Seiko 4a.jpg

Seiko 5a.jpg

After looking at lots of google images of Seikos, I could only find two of an STH-8BLD, but both had the black stitch adjustment dial like mine, whereas the 8BLD-3 all have a light coloured dial.

So I figure mine's an 8BLD. Next question is what's the difference between the D and the D-3? I haven't been able to find a manual for the 8BLD yet.

maybe a difference in foot lift or hook size? Isn´t there a list that explains the letters and numbers? I think on the old Seiko website they had an explanation...

Sold in the USA by Consew, this was sold as a model 206RB-3, the -4s were white.  

This model -3 was one of the very best Consew 206RB models in the series.

Foot lift at the knee lifter is 9/16", same for all 206RB-3, 4 and 5s.  All Consew 206RB subclasses and Seiko STH-8BL subclasses use the same hook, bobbin, and bobbin case.  

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Gregg, are you saying that mine's probably a 3? I've downloaded the manual (from your site :)) for the 3 and everything looks the same.

The bottom oil tank (that feeds the hook) was empty and all the oil wicks/felt pads were dry so I oiled everything that moved (!) and left it overnight. The woman said that there was a bit of a problem with lower thread tension, but I noticed when dismantling it that a lever/arm next to the hook was poking out at an angle and didn't seem to be doing anything. This, as I found out, is the latch opener, and definitely needs adjustment!! I also suspect that the two feet need re-adjusting, all minor things. Hopefully today I can spend time going over the adjustments.

I'm also considering fitting a larger pulley to the head, in place of the handwheel. I did this to my Pfaff and it makes a huge difference to the low speed control and torque, and is much easier than messing around with speed reducers.

Seiko 6a.jpg

Looking good so far. Fixed the latch opener, needle bar needed re-adjusting (the needle that was fitted was shorter than the specified needle), both feet needed re-adjusting, the thread friction discs are grooved (not surprising) so I reversed them front-to-back which moved the grooves away from the thread path, and the "biggest" problem, the screw that holds the needle in had one side of the screwdriver slot missing! I couldn't find anything among my supply of screws that matched the thread size (I've got no idea what it is) so as a last resort I silver soldered the busted screw to the head of a larger screw. Not pretty, but it works. It came with welting feet fitted, but fortunately I seem to be accumulating a collection of assorted spare feet so fitted a standard set.

Loaded up some #69 thread and handcranked on some scrap leather with no problems. Next thing was to load up some #138 thread, again it didn't miss a beat, basically whatever I could fit under the feet it sewed.

Next thing is to hook it up to a motor and see if it will sew a long run.

Hooked it up to a motor and tried a run down an old belt with #138 thread - beautiful, didn't miss a beat. Two pieces of scrap veg, just over 1/4" thick, and it treated it like a very thin piece, perfect stitches. I've got no doubt this thing will sew whatever I can fit under the feet. And I reckon it might handle #207, just a pity I haven't got any to try.

Me happy :), me like :):).

Now I think I know why folks like their Seikos/Consews so much.

Almost done, just have to sort out the knee lifter. The tabletop came with it so I re-used it but fitted it to stronger legs (the kneelifter positioning is different to the Singers so it was easier to use the original table rather than drop it onto a Singer table).The motor has a 1 3/4" pulley so fitting an 8" on the head unit gives me a 1:4.4 reduction, and coupled with the servo I can crawl it nicely with lots of torque.

I just need to replace the belt with a smaller cross-section one, as while this one works I think it's a bit too stiff. (Since I started this sewing machine thing I've accumulated quite a selection of belts but I never seem to have the size I need :blink:).

Seiko 7a.jpg

Seiko 8a.jpg

Got yourself a great bargain there Richard, same machine as mine, and I thought I did well for $500 ! mine wasn't stitching at all when I bought it, but found some silly person had put the needle in back to front, corrected and sews like a dream.

You wont regret it these are a fantastic machine.

Man you got everything looking great with the Seiko. good work there!

gives me a grin, about the accumulated belts and the knee lift. totally understand! 

A great find for sure

Floyd

Thanks guys. I think the lower oil tank is leaking, probably just needs new gasket material. I'm also thinking of fitting a handle/knob to the large pulley as this would make it easier to handcrank it.

yeah...that pulley is a beast!!    I'd think you could go off the grid, if you hook some sort of power supply off of it :-)

At the risk of boring people, I have to make one more statement - I love this machine!!

I have some M20/138 bonded braided polyester thread and none of my machines like it, they inevitably catch the braiding at some point during stitching and usually after a very few stitches. I gave up trying to get the adjustments right. So, out of curiosity I decided to try it in the Seiko. Perfect first time, no tweaking necessary.

Don't know why it won't work on the others but does on this one, but I don't really care. I'm very impressed.