I'm not a fan of closed toes personally, but that is some beautiful gun leather! Um... gun AND knife leather?

Good job. What does the center holster fit?

Practice on scrap pieces to get your edge treatments improved. Experiment with different types of applicators. I've found that the applicator is the secret to good lines, I'm still trying to find the perfect one.

I really like your backgrounding! What tool was that?

I don't use edge coat often these days, but I use a fine pint brush. Takes forever... which is why I don't use it much.

I use a small dauber, they work better the second time, after use I wash them out and when they dry, they are less fluffy, and you get a better line. I keep trying other readily available items, but keep coming back to the dauber. I bought one of the Craftool roller applicators, but can't get it to work well at all. Sometimes simple is best. It's all about control with edge finishing. I was using edge paint until recently when I've started working with just a dye. Jury is still out on that choice.

Thanks for the info on the background tool.

Bob Parks has an edge marker out. Angellus also sells their version too.  I think Bobs is wider and stiff enough that you dont get little fibers hanging over the edge. You fill them with dye and just keep them filled. It works well.

I've seen that! I keep forgetting to get one. It really looks like the answer.

DSC00237.jpgDSC00102.jpgI got the ones from Angelus - works great.  But truth is, I generally use them just on belts -- most holsters are short enough I can just use a regular dauber... think I can steady my hand for 6" :rofl:

Edited by JLSleather

I saw a tip where a guy singed his daubers with a lighter before use. Maybe that will help.

Interesting...I'll have to try that.

JLS, I'm loving those saw-tooth leaves!

Singing dauber takes the fuzz off. It helps.Stinks like burned hair...... cuz it is.:lol:

Edited by Mattsbagger

46 minutes ago, jlsleatherworks said:

Where can I find these edge markers? 

46 minutes ago, jlsleatherworks said:

Where can I find these edge markers? 

Springfield has them, and I think Tandy does too. You might also try Weavers, or go on Amazon and find a better deal.

Your edges are too wet no matter what you use to slick them. 

I've tried every method or applying dye or paint to edges I have come across.  Small brushes are way too hard to keep right on the edge. I have the Angelus refillable markers but I've found them likewise dangerous and risky to use because it is so easy to have that small pointed applicator to fall off the edge onto the leather's surfaces. It's very difficult for me to get a uniform coat with metal spatulas. Tandy and others market roller-type applicators that you dip into the paint and roll over the edge. These don't suffer from the tendency to fall off the edge but the deep grooves leave marks along the edges. Those roller applicators with a tank of paint underneath them seem way too messy and troublesome to use and really only work for belts or other linear items. Don't try one on a holster!

So I have gravitated back to the old-school method of applying paint or dye -- a piece of very heavy felt held with a clothespin. I buy lengths of 1/2" x 1/2" industrial felt from Grainger and cut them into 1" pieces. Dip them in the dye/paint and daub the extra on the back side of a piece of scrap leather and I am good to go. They're long enough and stiff enough that they're easy to keep perpendicular to and right on the edge and to thereby avoid slipping off it onto the surface of the leather. With a little practice you quickly figure out how much dye/paint to daub off so that there isn't a great glob of paint or big drop of dye that will wick onto the surface leather.

My paint brushes, Angelus pens, spatulas and Tandy roller sit. And I don't ruin any more projects by slipping off the edge and putting a nice streak of dye across their surface(s).

Works great for me.

Michelle

I tried a spatula just yesterday for the first time. That was an experience. I did find that I had to go much slower than I originally thought. Not a fan. I can see where practice would help, but the potential for disaster seemed quite high.

On 1/13/2017 at 3:26 PM, alpha2 said:

Interesting...I'll have to try that.

JLS, I'm loving those saw-tooth leaves!

Yeah, I like 'em, but i din't invent 'em.. Stohlman books show that like that since about 1950-something ;)

For edge coat Ive found that a small brass rod works really well. If applying die I use those foam brushes (small 1inch ones), pick them up at harbor freight when I can for like a dime a piece or so. Cheapest place Ive found em. 

I would work on making my background stamping smoother and also your edges. While at it deeper tooling will make you design pop out. I have never used edge dressing. No problem with those that do but I prefer to just get a really good, smooth, burnished edge.