myjtp

How much do you charge for a hand tooled full grain belt?

I was just wondering what the going rate is for a hand tooled leather belt 1.5" thick 50 inches long nice finished edges. Can everyone upload pictures of their belts to see what sort of work you do and your price :)  I'm just sort of seeing what's out there I might try to make some or I might buy some.

For quality work that is done on quality leather and by a person who has refined skills with tooling (which most don't in modern times but there are still a few of us that do) you can see a price of up to $200 or more.  Those of us who are in that neighborhood have been doing this for awhile and are also business professionals.  On the flip side you will find some "weekend warrior" selling their belts for $50 but odds are that they are embossed and not actually carved & tooled and they are most likely not done on quality leather (more likely a Tandy belt strip which isn't from their better leathers) and most don't even have finished edges.  I don't typically post pictures (not even on my website) as these belts are pretty much custom and I keep those closely held unless someone expresses an interest in a custom belt.

At the $200+ range, are there many people buying? I mean, I could see some of the gun people spending $100 or more on a holster, and not bat an eye. But I honestly can't say I know anybody that would pay that for a belt. On the other side of that coin, I have seen women spend $3-$5k on a purse, and not bat an eye. It is funny how the world works, ain't it?

I make three width sizes of belts 1.25" 1.50" and 1.75" .  I do not do any embossed belts. My belts are all hand stamped unless someone requests a plain belt. They are not lined but I do make the inside smooth. I use 9/10  Hermon Oak leather on all my belts.  They all come with a buckle and I use Chicago screws to attach the buckle so that it can be changed if the customer wants. I do them in black, chocolate, dark brown, brown, and saddle tan. I may be considered by some as a weekend leather worker but I do this every day and I sell quite a few belts with lots of return customers.  I also make more holsters by far than belts.

Prices:

1.25" - $50.00

1.50" - $50.00

1.75" - $60.00

photo IMG_2701R_zpswdzuak4k.jpg

photo IMG_2701R_zpswdzuak4k.jpg

photo IMG_8541R_zps7603cb22.jpg

photo IMG_8335R_zpsb7f079e1.jpg

At least $8.  These were slightly more than that.

0634.jpgDSC00304a.jpgDSC00054.jpg

1 hour ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

For quality work that is done on quality leather and by a person who has refined skills with tooling (which most don't in modern times but there are still a few of us that do) you can see a price of up to $200 or more.  Those of us who are in that neighborhood have been doing this for awhile and are also business professionals.  On the flip side you will find some "weekend warrior" selling their belts for $50 but odds are that they are embossed and not actually carved & tooled and they are most likely not done on quality leather (more likely a Tandy belt strip which isn't from their better leathers) and most don't even have finished edges.  I don't typically post pictures (not even on my website) as these belts are pretty much custom and I keep those closely held unless someone expresses an interest in a custom belt.

You are so rite on.............. my customary fee for custom commissions is $ 25 dollars an hour. That is product design working with the customer to the finish product.  

Since we are opening up the can of worms......

What about a belt with no tooling out of Hermann Oak or W&C. Decent buckle with stitching?

Just kind of curious.

SJSleather, those are true master belts.  I consider myself a craftsman with leather but you are a true artist.

10 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

What about a belt with no tooling out of Hermann Oak or W&C. Decent buckle with stitching?

Just kind of curious.

What would you pay for a belt like that? Personally the most i have paid for a belt is 150.00 and had no issue paying it. 

3 hours ago, Rohn said:

SJSleather, those are true master belts.  I consider myself a craftsman with leather but you are a true artist.

Thanks, Rohn.  That first one is an old Stohlman design .. STILL gets requested sometimes.  That one went to a young fella ropin' cows down in San Antonio ...

1 hour ago, kiwican said:

What would you pay for a belt like that?

44.jpgI charge in the $60-ish range for "plain" and stitched, because that's about what I would pay.  But for that, you get leather with no "boogers" -- that's no scratches, wrinkles, inconsistencies...  And I'll emboss 'em for not much more.. simple and looks nice.

Danny got this one at $60.  W/C double layer, INSANELY clean leather (no marks at all), double stitched, his own buckle.

And then to git ta stampin', depends on the complexity of the design.  Simple basketweave.... few bucks.  Some of the other "geo" stamps take quite a bit longer, so there's that.

And even tooling, there's a "range".. in those three belts above, the first one takes CONSIDERABLY longer than the third one.  So, I price by what they want.

And buckles are included UNLESS requested without (the two belts on the outside, both those boys had their own buckle they wanted to use).  I assume that you want a buckle much like the one in the middle pic, but I dont charge for it if you don't want it.  STILL, kinda cool that I've had people from all over send me their buckle to make a belt for it - not everybody gets trusted with family heirlooms or rodeo award buckles ;)

DSC00497.jpg

And I'll do sets, simple enough (long as it aint set of 100 ;) ).  This one went to a feller and his boys... bit of a price break, since I can use the same piece of leather, same dye, stain, finish, thread, etc. (no changing thread colors, no testing dye shades, etc...)

All that makes a fancy speech, but truth is I'm not toolin' belts this week (or next) due to the move...

Thanks, guys. I just wanted to get an idea. Not being a tooler will put off a lot of sales, but I'm not trying to live off this stuff.

And I wouldn't sell Junky stuff. It will be clean or not at all.

You have taught me better than that.

22 hours ago, CaptQuirk said:

At the $200+ range, are there many people buying? I mean, I could see some of the gun people spending $100 or more on a holster, and not bat an eye. But I honestly can't say I know anybody that would pay that for a belt. On the other side of that coin, I have seen women spend $3-$5k on a purse, and not bat an eye. It is funny how the world works, ain't it?

As a matter of fact there are but you have to have the right market for this type of work which is the trick.  The bulk of my higher end/higher priced items are actually ordered via online but they are out there.  As a business I do more than just peddle to the local scene, I am global and have been for many, many years.

19 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Just kind of curious.

I only use H.O. and the top grade available and all of my hardware is solid brass.  I don't do stitching as decorative item as the punching of holes that close to the edge of any single layer belt will lead to the edges eventually wearing out and the belt looking like it had been dragged through hell.  Stitching isn't as big an issue if the belt is two-ply.  I would charge about $65 for a standard belt because I cut everything at the time of order and all of what I do is done by hand; no spraying, machine anything, just real handmade work and quality.  Again, I am a business with a global client base and not just a weekend crafter dude.

1 hour ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

I only use H.O. and the top grade available and all of my hardware is solid brass.  I don't do stitching as decorative item as the punching of holes that close to the edge of any single layer belt will lead to the edges eventually wearing out and the belt looking like it had been dragged through hell.  Stitching isn't as big an issue if the belt is two-ply.  I would charge about $65 for a standard belt because I cut everything at the time of order and all of what I do is done by hand; no spraying, machine anything, just real handmade work and quality.  Again, I am a business with a global client base and not just a weekend crafter dude.

Sorry I didn't mention the lining part. Yes they would be lined.

What hasn't been said or if it has I missed it, but you have to figure out your market, there are different factors in each even when it comes to how someone will be led to your website to look for an item they might be interested in, but you have to be able to charge what the market will bare.  There has been mention about weekenders full time artisans on and on.   Again what it will come down to is how you present yourself and how you click with the client.  Its like looking at Ansel Adams and his work, Ansel was a much better darkroom person than he is given credit for, he is given high accolades for his photography but, his work was printed by him and he knew how to bring the best out in the dark room.  I myself am retired and spend a great deal amount of time talking to people to promote my fledgling leather business with hopes that I will hit the right note that will reverberate with the potential customer.  Here are 3 of my belts the one on each side sells for 60.00 the one in the middle sells for 75.00 these are all H/O leather 1/4 inch thick with a stainless steel liner.  Do I wish I could get more sure but it is going to take time to get there, but it will come from sales outside of my immediate area.

3 belts.jpg

2 hours ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

Tell me more about this stainless liner?

I haven't heard of that before.

4 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Tell me more about this stainless liner?

I haven't heard of that before.

Some of the bigger name gun belts have a metal blank sandwiched in between the layers. Never thought about doing it myself

13 minutes ago, CaptQuirk said:

Some of the bigger name gun belts have a metal blank sandwiched in between the layers. Never thought about doing it myself

Some use Kydex strips too.

Just now, Mattsbagger said:

Some use Kydex strips too.

How well does the kydex work? It seems like it would be a lot easier to work with.

I've yet to do it myself. I just have read of it and seen it offerd. I don't see why it wouldn't work fine. But that's just my opinion.

Kydex from what I have heard is not ideal, neither is the metal strips. Some have used various types of poly strapping that is made to bend and flex without getting brittle and doesnt eat away at the leather or stitching. Thats just me doing a bunch of research. I have yet to use any type of liner besides leather. I have used horse for the inside layer which makes a very stiff belt. FIrst and foremost use quality leather then start thinking of adding random liner materials. 

You have to remember that everyone is going to claim there way is the best and throw out all kinds of opinions why that is the ultimate truth. The liners are a good sales pitch and if spun the right way makes a regular dual layer leather belt sound like it couldnt hold a derringer for more than a couple weeks without falling down to your ankles (although I garuntee this aint the truth).  

Ofcourse I am just a veteran "weekend crafter dude" so dont listen to anything I have to say. 

Edited by MADMAX22

I've used both, Kydex is easier in that you can sew through it if you need to or want to for some reason, the only reason that I started doing it is that I was being asked if I did any that way by guys who have seen the adds by the companies that offer it.  So I looked into doing it that way and it has helped in selling some belts.  On some what I have done is rubber coat the tips of the metal or in the case of the one I am finishing up I added a small piece of leather to the ends of the metal.  Over all it is not hard to add, in my case I just picked up a splitter so I can take some skirting split it put the strip of stainless in between the 2 pieces glue that down let the glue dry then glue in the other piece then sew it all together, would 1/4 leather do the same sure, but, to be competitive and some one asks for something ya do what ya gotta do.  that's how Bill Gates got rich someone went to him and asked about an operating system he said sure then went out and figured how to do it and the rest is history.

11 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

that's how Bill Gates got rich someone went to him and asked about an operating system he said sure then went out and figured how to do it and the rest is history.

Actually, Bill hired somebody smarter to do the work, then sold it as his own. Those hippies in California had the Mouse first, and Bill stole the idea. So kiddies, THAT is how you get rich ;)

12 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

FIrst and foremost use quality leather then start thinking of adding random liner materials... liners are a good sales pitch ...

Exactly.

I actually do it the other way -- I build customers by NOT doing "anything" they ask for.  People know that I make useable, useful goods -- not "fluff" and marketing poo.  

I don't make cigar/cigarette cases.  No leather masks. Recently turned down requests for shoulder holsters / rigs (havent made those for years).  No ddsm / lgbqrf items.  And I have never made a belt with steel or kydex "liners".  And I have my reasons for all of that.  Certainly has cost me some 'jobs" (like the ones I turned down for starters), but in the end.. people generally respond 'that Jeff guy don't mess around... right the first time ..."

And I'm just one guy, without all that 'social madia" so don't say it can't be done (I have a fakebook basically just so nobody else can start one and say they're me ;) ).

Edited by JLSleather

I'm just the opposite. I prefer holster work, but I've been asked to do a belt, a tool pouch, and various other items. It isn't my norm, but I don't mind thinking outside the box on occasion. If somebody asked for a leather cod piece, I'd turn it down, just because I don't want to have to measure and fit the guy. If a gal wanted a bustier, I'd certainly take every effort to make sure it fit just right... but that's just me. If somebody asked for a steel lined belt... I'd really have to consider a source for the spring steel, and how much more it would add to an already time consuming project. If they were willing to pay it, I will make it.