My next project is a set of holsters and gunbelts, which the lady wants in a walnut brown - not as easy as I thought. I bought Fiebings Medium Brown, but I would call it Very Dark Brown! It also has red in it, which becomes more obvious if I cut the strength, but  she doesn't want any red tinging. So I bought Fiebings Light Brown, but it's still a dark brown and shows red tinging on the edges of a test piece.

So, how do I get a proper brown colour? I'm in the process of making my own walnut stain (from walnuts) but trying to get it dark enough is a bit of a challenge, so I'm still working on it.

Any ideas?

Did you try fiebings walnut color ? 

Chocolate is a bit less 'red-ish', and there is of course walnut color.  OR, you might try taking your brown and adding a few drops of green -- this will tend to counter the red tint.  Do it slow, little at a time... the green is quite strong.

They have a walnut dye.  Looks pretty good

I didn't see it at the shop which is why I bought the Light Brown so I'll have to ask, maybe they don't normally stock it.

Thanks guys.

Ah-ha! Just checked the Feibing website and I see that the Walnut is in the Pro Dye range, I was looking at the "normal" dye range. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Edited by dikman

Amazon has it as well.

Tandy in Atlanta has it, although it's not in the catalog. It is the Pro OIl dye

Found a Fiebring's dye called show brown in my dye lot collection. Don't know if they still make it but the test piece in the photo is really nice brown with no red tinge to it. the center circle is the show brown cut with denatured. the upper circle is the dark brown showing the red tinge to it. Not sure if this qualifies for your walnut but i really like the color. best of luck, Jim Parent

show brown.JPG

not sure what went wrong but this photo is way to big.

Perhaps Angelus dyes has a better brown? I don't have a brown from them to show you a sample, unfortunately.

Thanks guys, but don't forget I'm in Oz, so availability isn't quite the same as over there. Anyhow, the shop has the Pro Dye Walnut Brown so I got him to hold a bottle for me. I'll start with that.

Ok, got some Pro Walnut and it's a nice brown, although a little darker than I would have liked. Can this stuff be cut to lighten it a bit? And if so what do I use?

Yup. Use some Denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol.  You can even use water if you have to.

Tried it today on a belt - nice, I like it, it actually looks brown and might not need thinning.

I use walnut dye a lot, and really like the look.   I have also used it diluted to great effect.