JamesR

Backstitching with tiger thread

Hello,

I recently started working with tiger thread. I like the stuff but I find that it is more difficult to backstitch over it. 

I have even broken a few needles trying to backstitch.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Hard to say without seeing some pictures, and some details.  What are you using for an awl, what size/type of pricking iron, type and thickness of leather you use, what thickness of thread are you using?

YinTx

Bob douglas slim awl blade, 1.2mm tiger thread,8oz. harness leather,j.watt overstitch wheel 6spi.

I get the backstitch completed but it just seems like I'm getting hung up in the braid?IMG_0224_1.jpg

cell phone holster.jpg

I'm working with pretty much the same stuff except I'm using 1.0 Tiger thread. I haven't had a problem backstitching. I switched to John James harness needles size 1/0 because I was having to use pliers to pull almost every stitch with my Tandy needles. You really have to watch where you put the needle in on the backstitch so you lay that second stitch in the proper place, trying not to pierce the first layer of stitching. I use my scratch awl to direct the lay of the thread as I pull it tight. I can't tell by the picture. but maybe your awl is a little small for that size of thread? Hope this helps. 

Some nice looking work, both.  I think perhaps the thread is really thick for that size awl, and using the scratch awl to direct where that backstitch goes as Bigfoote suggests may help in your case.  Let us know how it goes!

YinTx

Not to mention, going through 2 or 3 layers of 8 oz leather is going to really add up, and cause a lot of friction when you try to pull your thread through!  Just stitching 10 oz of leather (two 5 oz layers) can get tight...add to that heavy heavy thread...

Thanks guys, I think I will try the larger blade,

Also, I cast the stitch so I am thinking that it may hold up the back stitch? I wonder if I should not cast the last two stitches before I back stitch.

BTW nice work Bigfoote!

Larger awl blade (I used to do the same thing as you with the small blade).  Also, toss the big eye needles and use harness needles  I am assuming you are using big eye needles because they are what break all the time.

7 hours ago, JamesR said:

Thanks guys, I think I will try the larger blade,

Also, I cast the stitch so I am thinking that it may hold up the back stitch? I wonder if I should not cast the last two stitches before I back stitch.

BTW nice work Bigfoote!

Thanks James, a lot has to do with practice, practice, practice. I sewed together tons of scraps, and took a long time to figure out how to get a nice corner, I still make mistakes but most can be fixed. I alternate between an awl and a stitching chisel. If I'm in a hurry I go to the chisel, if not I use the awl. Your bag looks pretty good, your stitching will get better, and right now looks a lot better than my first attempts. One thing I will repeat, John James needles will help a lot. They don't drag and I have never broke one yet! I'm not selling them, just like to tell folks when I find a great product. Tiger thread is my go to, but I also have a couple rolls of the cheap Chinese thread, it's about .7mm with a long delivery time.

electratron and Bigfoote,

Thank you for the replies. I think the awl size is my problem. 

BTW the only needles I use are John James so I guess the holes are just not big enough.

I have the same problem and wonder if it the cast on both sides are my issue. Maybe don't cast where the back stitching is? I will try that. Thinking out loud and rambling sorry.lol

Mattsbagger,

Yes, I tried not casting my last 2 stitches on a sample piece and it does seems to work better. When I backstitch over a "cast' stitch I find that I end up pushing through the braid and this hangs up the works. When I have used unbraided cord I don't have this problem.

Yes I'm thinking out loud too.

Edited by JamesR

30 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Mattsbagger,

Yes, I tried not casting my last 2 stitches on a sample piece and it does seems to work better. When I backstitch over a "cast' stitch I find that I end up pushing through the braid and this hangs up the works. When I have used unbraided cord I don't have this problem.

Yes I'm thinking out loud too.

If you broke those needles your holes are too small!

Brianm77,

It's when you wrap the thread around the needle on each stitch which sort of forms a knot. There are tutorials on the web showing you how to do it.