Uwe

Show & Tell: Putting a table on wheels

I'm certainly not the first one to do this and tables that are designed with wheels in mind are the best solution. But I wanted to figure out a way to retrofit my tables with removable wheels that wouldn't raise the table much and be very sturdy.

I spent the day at Techshop to put my Adler 467 on "proper" wheels. I have to move it from storage area to the work area whenever I want to use it. It's been strapped on top of mover's dollies, but that was just a temporary solution and not very ergonomic at all for actual sewing.

Here's what I came up with today. Perhaps it'll inspire some folks to make something similar or to improve upon my design. 

Design goals: Wheels must install without tools and be easily removable. Raise table less than 2" (5cm) to keep table height and pedal ergonomics good. No modification of original table legs. Lockable swivel castors. No decrease in overall stability.

This project has been bouncing around in my head for some time. The solution shown here consists of two skateboard-like units that clamp onto the original legs on either side of the table. The hinged wheel units on each end clamp onto the floor mount tabs of original table legs. The weight of the table provides the clamping force via hinge levers - the heavier the table, the stronger the clamping force and thus stability.

Total cost of materials was about $50 ($25 for the four swivels castors, $15 for 2'x4' fancy phenolic 3/4" plywood, $10 for fours hinges.)

Here's what the table looks like wth the new wheels:

IMG_7307.jpgIMG_7310.jpg

These close-ups show how the hinged wheel end units clamp down on the tables mounting plates:

IMG_7283.jpgIMG_7284.jpgIMG_7286.jpgIMG_7287.jpg

Here are the parts for one of the wheel units (seven 3/4" plywood pieces, two locking swivel casters, two hinges):

IMG_7296.jpg

The center support board is connected to the two wheel end pieces via hinges -  this provides the clamping action to hold the unit in place.

IMG_7302.jpgIMG_7303.jpg

The two end pieces have a vertical offset like a fifth-wheel trailer to keep the center support board low enough for good ergonomics of the table and pedal. The sides walls of each wheel assembly are spaced to fit snugly around the table's vertical metal legs to provide support against sideways tilting.

IMG_7299.jpg

It takes more than one person to put these wheel "boots" on. Taking them off is easy - just lift up one end of the table and the wheel boots fall off.

The footprint of the wheeled table is considerably deeper front to back, compared to the original table. This provides room for the swivel casters to rotate 360˚ without compromising front-to-back stability. This setup is not going to tip over backwards when you tilt the sewing machine head back.

Edited by Uwe

I'm thinking either a DC battery and an inverter to run the sewing machine motor, which now has an extra long shaft to provide a 2nd pulley.  Of course you know where the belt on the 2nd pulley now goes to. :-D    >>>hhhmmm steering.... have to think that one out.

Clever idea with the hinges.   Regular Nascar type car jack might make install a one man-er.

That's impressive!!  Looks outstanding to me.

As a side bar Uwe, the 45K shuttle came in today.....fast and beautifully packed......very professional.  Thank you

Once again well done :spoton:Clever idea! Next thing I want to see from you is a hoover board for sewing machines tables. I mean Nike now has the self tying shoes so.... ;)

Edited by Constabulary

Uwe's a smart one! :P

I have thought of this often (how to put wheels) on my commercial sewing tables. All (3) of my big embroidery machines have nice wheels on them, so easy to clean around them or move them. I have to come up with a solution for my commercial sewing machine tables though, so thank you Uwe!

Nice Uwe! We use Kessler tables which are height adjustable with a crank handle since operators come in all sizes. We also have some set for stand up operation. They are on wheels as well since we rearrange the factory quite often. Your design does resemble the Kessler a bit. Well done. 

Regards, Eric 

That is a great build.  I like how you kept it low so you can sit and sew at it while its on the wheels.  nice work!

I've been wanting something like this for a long time

Sometimes I am surprised what one can do with wood. Nice, I could use one.

Hi have read a million of your posts to help me with my Pfaff 145. I don't sew leather, but there is a wealth of information on this website that I really appreciate. Hope you don't mind me digging up an old thread. Just wanted to say this is a really nice idea! Thank you!

This is great thanks for sharing.  I missed this one from before.