Old Coach Saddlery

Holster or Stirrup plate

Looking for a holster plate that will fit or could be modified to fit my Ferdinand 900b Bull. I am hoping that this will allow me to sew the welting to the flaps of an English saddle. That said I am not sure whether a holster plate or a stirrup plat would be better. I emailed Cowboy to see if there plate might fit. But haven't heard anything yet. I spoke with Weaver the screw pattern seems correct but the needle slot is off.

Is your Ferdinand Bull built on a Juki TSC-441 body? That is the basis for the 441 clones, like the Cowboy and Cobra machines and there is a good possibility the Cowboy throat plates will fit it. If your machine was built on a Seiko body, the Cowboy plates may not fit.

The service DVD that I purchased from Tony Luberto Sewing states that the Bull was built off a Consew 754r. Consew does not offer a Holster plate.

3 hours ago, Old Coach Saddlery said:

The service DVD that I purchased from Tony Luberto Sewing states that the Bull was built off a Consew 754r. Consew does not offer a Holster plate.

That machine closely resembles my CB4500. I think you should order a holster plate and see if it fits. If the holes are just slightly off, use a round file to enlarge them to fit.

How about a few pictures of your and Ferdinand 900b Bull with close-up of the hook and needle plate area (hook cover cap open or removed?) We're just guessing otherwise. Ferdinand changed base machines for their modified version over time. 

If your machine is based on this version of the Consew 754r:

Consew754R-440x348.jpg

then it's really a Seiko CH-7B:

$_1.JPG

and that machine's business end looks more like an Adler 205 style to me:

Seiko-CH-8B-031.jpg

Adler 205 and Juki 441 style plates my still fit your Ferdinand, or fit with minor modifications. I have one flat-top harness maker throat plate that fits nicely on both Adler 205 and Juki 441 designs, you just have to use small washers or different throat plate mounting screws with larger heads on the 441 designs.

It may be a great time to give Gregg a call over at http://www.keysew.com/ as all these brands are sold there. The option to interrupt his morning coffee is great:), and a plus for business to them. The help the shop gives back on here at times is appreciated as are the others businesses.

Floyd

On a Cobra here, I have a measure from the needle o.c. to the centerline of the screws of .910" inch.

As I see in the other pics the screw slot is made for some adjustment side to side, I believe this may be a help because hook spacer thickness options could be used. Then again the needle bar also can be an adjustment side to side a bit for hook to scarf minor adjustment. This is on this machine and could be way different than a Ferdco.

Floyd

We just really need to know what the measurements on that Ferdco machine are, otherwise it's just a mildly entertaining "guess what the dimensions of my obscure Ferdco machine are" game. It's kind of backwards.

Edited by Uwe

It doesn't look like the Juki TSC-441 (Cowboy 4500 etc. ) style throat plates will work, at least not without modification. I took a picture of my 441 plate and sized it to match the scale of your photo. I lined up the needle slots on both plates, so you can see where the other dimensions line up or not. 

The Cowboy holster and stirrup plates are not exactly cheap at $160 each - a bit expensive for experiments. 

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 9.32.08 PM.png

Edited by Uwe

Great looking machine!

From looking at the photo with his measure tape on the plate it looks like 22 mm from center of screw holes to needle slot center, thats about .866" vs the measure of that Cobra plate with .910" I had to the needle o.c..

Fwiw on another measure I had was; from the screw center i get .315" to the pulley side edge. Its all pretty close would need to roll/lay the tape over the curve to get accurate measure between screw holes, though they look spot on with that last photo.

Just for grins that's how its measuring up :)

good day there

Floyd

tempting though. The measurement that weaver gave me foe the Adler was to short from needle slot to edge of plate. Really can't go anywhere with that. But you could do something here. As you said an expensive experiment. To bad the weaver plate was only $99.

Have you contacted the Hoffman Brothers?

Hoffman Brothers

1795 Birchwood Avenue

Des Plaines, Illinois 60018-3005

Toll Free - 800.323.9120

Fax - 847.671.1320

Email - hoffmanbrothers1@aol.com

They own Ferdco now. Maybe they have the part you need.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:40 PM, Uwe said:

The Cowboy holster and stirrup plates are not exactly cheap at $160 each - a bit expensive for experiments. 

They are cheap if you get them from overseas, think about $40, just takes a few weeks to get them in.

On 2/15/2017 at 2:13 PM, MADMAX22 said:

They are cheap if you get them from overseas, think about $40, just takes a few weeks to get them in.

Not sure where the $160 comes from.  I'm a factory dealer, and our plates are $125.  

13 hours ago, SolarLeatherMachines said:

Not sure where the $160 comes from.  I'm a factory dealer, and our plates are $125.  

Not sure think Uwe got that from Toledo sewing, seems they vary from your price on up depending on where you get em at. Oh and pretty sure I was off looks like they are more around $20 from overseas. Not sure what you guys get them for. 

Yes,we have them priced @ $160.00 BUT sell them @ discount & have never sold one @ that price.Cowboys plate is stainless steel,most others are chrome plated & the chrome peels off after while.

On 2/13/2017 at 6:21 AM, Old Coach Saddlery said:

Looking for a holster plate that will fit or could be modified to fit my Ferdinand 900b Bull. I am hoping that this will allow me to sew the welting to the flaps of an English saddle. That said I am not sure whether a holster plate or a stirrup plat would be better. I emailed Cowboy to see if there plate might fit. But haven't heard anything yet. I spoke with Weaver the screw pattern seems correct but the needle slot is off.

I know this is an old post but I stumbled across it and thought it all looked pretty similar to a 205-64 Adler I had as it seems to be a needle feed machine rather than the a 441 style with walking foot. Coincidentally I wanted to fiddle with the foot a little to get it to be able to sew closer to edges. As you can see the Adler foot was not chicken feed. You'll laugh but I found one of my 133K13 darning feet fitted the bar perfectly and I was able to grind and polish it to make a nice foot with one toe very short and almost missing..

I am in Australia but in desperation prior to my 133k13 foot find I ended up conversing with a Barb Hershberger at Weaver who sent me the following:

Item Number

Quantity Ordered

UOM

Description

Unit Price

Extended Price

205-20-008-0

EA

PLATE HOLSTER

105-22-003-3

EA

FOOT ADLER

N-800-005-107

EA

GUIDE COMPLETE ROLLER

65-3062

EA

WORK PLATE W/GUIDE ATTACH.

On 2/13/2017 at 10:53 AM, SolarLeatherMachines said:

Unfortunately, I don't have a Bull handy to measure.  But if you need a plate, maybe this will help.  These are the plates we supply for the CB-4500.  

Holster Plate.JPG

Stirrup Plate.JPG

I realize this is an old thread, but do you have any of these? 

Thanks for the help. I actually picked up another  Bull and it had with it a number of plates someone had fabricated. They where just what I was looking for. The best part was I didn’t know it when I got the machine . I just stumbled upon them.