erniethemilk

Rounded corner Edges - Any tips?

Looking for hints and tips on getting rounded corner edges. 

At at present when I cut round it all gets a bit choppy rather than beautifully round corner edges as I've seen on lots of product. 

Any hints/tips gratefully accepted  

I use a washer to trace my corner, then cut as close to the line as I can...then use a dremal tool to sand the high points, thus making it round.

I know some people use a cutter, kind of like a strap end arch cutter.  I have just started making many cuts with the box cutter kind of like this.  I will then sand it if needed.  I also trace a washer for those curves.

cutting corners.jpg

33 minutes ago, LeatherLegion said:

Get yourself a set of round corner punches like this one and you'll save a lot of time .

I made my own from a piece of electrical conduit, . . . but if you got the 20 bucks, . . . this is what I would do.

May God bless,

Dwight

I used an angle-grinder to cut a large circle hole punch down to an arc

cjartist, that doesn't work if it's an INSIDE corner! Had a terrible time cutting a decent corner for the window on a cell phone case. That was when I found out about corner punches!

21 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

cjartist, that doesn't work if it's an INSIDE corner! Had a terrible time cutting a decent corner for the window on a cell phone case. That was when I found out about corner punches!

True. I haven't had the need to make an inside corner.

After a year or so cutting with a knife and a coin, I finally purchased the corner punches.  Wow, why did i wait?  Huge time saver, and really good edges.  Then I discovered I could have had them pretty cheap on Ebay for an entire set... Oh well!  next time!

YinTx

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

After a year or so cutting with a knife and a coin, I finally purchased the corner punches.  Wow, why did i wait?  Huge time saver, and really good edges.  Then I discovered I could have had them pretty cheap on Ebay for an entire set... Oh well!  next time!

YinTx

Do tell Yin!

16 hours ago, onlyoblivion said:

Do tell Yin!

Not sure.... what do you want to hear?

YinTx

I bought a set of these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172479859661?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not used them yet but I reckon they might come in handy. As they come they're ok sharp

Also bought a few of these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Half-Round-Belt-Strap-End-Punch-Wallet-Cutter-Tool-Leather-Craft-10-45MM-/391213513381?var=&hash=item0

They need a good sharpening when they come

[how do I get rid of this double spacing of lines??]

Oh sorry.  Yeah, basically what Fredk put... http://www.ebay.com/itm/9pcs-1-4-Leather-Tool-Belt-Round-Fillet-Shaped-Punch-Tail-Cut-Punch-10-50mm-/152371671157?hash=item237a0f3075:g:BacAAOSwa~BYYlym

basically like $1.30 a piece.  I don't have that set, I paid more for less.  Have no idea how well those hold up, but might be worth the $.

fredk, let me know how those hole punches you bought work out, I had debated getting a set, but wondered about the quality/life expectancy and performance.

YinTx

15 hours ago, fredk said:

[how do I get rid of this double spacing of lines??]

Don't press enter until the absolute end of a paragraph. This place is set up like a word processor, enter starts a new Paragraph.