Mockingbird

Cylinder-arm sewing machine

I'm looking to buy my first leather sewing machine to make small goods, bags, wallets etc. 

What should I be looking for? From some initial research keywords such as walking foot, cylinder-arm, servo motor, 135x17 needles popped up.

Anything essential for leatherwork?

I'm also willing to import the machine from China.  

First question is what thread size would you like to be able to go up to on top and bottom?

2nd question is are you wanting high production?

3 what is the thickest material/leather you want to stitch?

1. I'd like to keep thread size small. For hand stitching I'm mainly using 0.6mm thread at 3mm stitch length. 

2. Yes high production. 

3. Thickest leather glued together around 6mm. 

I've been looking into pfaff 335. Any good alternatives? 

Theres no need to import honestly, we have professionals on the site here that are the actual dealers around the world. There are some ads above if you have pop ups turned on for this site, and many others that frequent to help technically. The 135-17 needle mentioned is a clasification they somehow refer to as ( system ). This is considered canvas, upholstery, light and some medium leather. These items are running a 69-138 thread size.  

The bigger threads used for looks or serious belting, holsters and saddle type goods are used in a bigger machine with a bigger needle (system) maybe a 794. 

This is a short refference i mentioned, so looking just above in this sew machine area the articles cannot be better explained so welcome to the site and when ya get a chance have a look.

good day

Floyd

1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

1. I'd like to keep thread size small. For hand stitching I'm mainly using 0.6mm thread at 3mm stitch length. 

2. Yes high production. 

3. Thickest leather glued together around 6mm. 

I've been looking into pfaff 335. Any good alternatives? 

The Pfaff 335 is an excellent machine for this work. I have one myself. Given where you are though I would think first about the Seiko as in this link.http://www.seiko-sewing.co.jp/en/products/lscseries/

Consider for high production the larger bobbin/hook size.

From a quality point it would be also be at the top and service would be very easy I think.Showing support for the country your in can be of advertising benefit as well.

Forgot to mention that for high production and that type of work a needle positioning system would help a lot while you learn and speeds production a lot while helping to keep the quality high.

If I were living in Japan, I'd look for a nice Juki LS-341/1341 or any of the other highly regarded made-in-Japan brands. Just like there a plenty of used Pfaffs and Adlers around in Germany, it seems there should be a good number of used Juki machines available in Japan. Maybe Juki has a factory outlet?

Juki 245 and 246 are the equivalent to a Pfaff 335 and they are made in Japan or in China for Juki.  Should be cheaper than a Pfaff 335.

glenn

A Cobra class 26 is the clone of a JUKI 341, a better choice than  a 335, IMHO

Thank you for all the advice. I appreciate it. 

Just out of interest for cylinder arm machine users, which table do you prefer using? 

Machine on edge of table or machine in the middle of table with a cut-out table? 

I'm now looking into Juki 1341. 

That Juki looks good for the job but I cant say I have any experience with the thin shaped throat plate as yet. The small end is a great asset when doing tight curves as in wallets etc. The way I design a lot of my wallets I can stitch all the way and across the bridge area as well. A check on my web site should show some I think.I way prefer the table with the cut out in the middle as it gives somewhere to put extra bits to be stitched a lot of the time without needing to of feed of a trolley which does slow things down.

What do you guys think about advertised 'auto oil' machines? From what I gather its a bed of oil at the bottom of the machine? 

So manual oil vs 'auto oil'. 

Just keep in mind that some of the auto oilers require the machine to be run at high speed to work - usually much faster than we leathersewers like to use.

No sorry. I have a set up up on a couple of Pfaff machines here with Variostop motors but the part you have outlined is only to regulate and lubricate the air cylinder that lifts the feet when pushing back on the foot pedal.

Likely a savings "somehow" with the servo mounted there and its control screen on the surface. I would think a machine operations not needing the extra typical torque for leather work as one gets from a reducer installed pulley system. I honestly cannot see any usage of oil lubrication on the machine head. Only the air over mechanical system for operations. I would just order a machine from one of the dealers frequenting the site here, when a budget is set.

Where is your location ? 

good day

Looks like a direct drive servo to me.With the panel you can program how many backtack stitches you want @ the beginning & end of the stitch.This is more of a higher speed factory machine set-up.

If you can't find brochures, manuals, or documentation that list specs and describes how the thing works, don't buy the machine. 

4 hours ago, brmax said:

Likely a savings "somehow" with the servo mounted there and its control screen on the surface. I would think a machine operations not needing the extra typical torque for leather work as one gets from a reducer installed pulley system. I honestly cannot see any usage of oil lubrication on the machine head. Only the air over mechanical system for operations. I would just order a machine from one of the dealers frequenting the site here, when a budget is set.

Where is your location ? 

good day

The poster, Mockingbird, is in Japan, as is listed in the bottom of their on-page profile.

Ya thanks Wiz i did finally go look, not my standard!

Okinawa, Japan it is

many times i enjoy the curious aspect of questions posted here on the site. No offense here but it seems advertisingly sometimes 

Floyd

“There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism.

But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question.”

-Carl Sagan

"There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers"

-Colin Powell :P

On 3/17/2017 at 8:05 PM, RockyAussie said:

Your stuff is really nice.  I'm hoping to get my skill level up to that of yours some day.