1CJK

How to determine what ton clicker needed!

11 hours ago, Brianm77 said:

just setting some plates on top of your die and getting after it

That will work just fine.

This is just the type of question I wanted to ask. Using a shop-press for clicking out leather. The 20 ton press is very cool.

Has anyone ever used a little one ton arbor press, from Harbor Freight, to click out small pieces? I was hoping to get a small, inexpensive press, that I could have a die made for, to click out firefighter helmet shields with. With a few modifications I could start clicking out my pieces for way less than paying for an expensive clicker from Weaver or Tippmann. Has anyone ever tried this? Thanks.  

5 minutes ago, Hooper26 said:

Has anyone ever used a little one ton arbor press, from Harbor Freight, to click out small pieces? I was hoping to get a small, inexpensive press, that I could have a die made for, to click out firefighter helmet shields with.

I have used a 1 ton arbor press to click 4" circles.  On 8 oz. and up, takes 4 presses, 1 at each quadrant.  Didn't use a full size piece of steel plate over the top, so maybe could have done it with one press in the center, but would be a heavy pull.  Still faster than cutting by hand, and more accurate.  Smaller items are of course easier.

Tom

I tried my .5 ton on about 1.5" circle and didn't even come close.  Did not have a very sharp die though.  I have been contemplating making about a 20 to benchtop model with a jack. 

On 3/31/2017 at 11:12 AM, Brianm77 said:

So the plate welded on the bottom of the jack is only to speed up the process?

It's a spot for the leather, and the die, to sit.  I use 3/8" thick plates, but they aren't welded.  Just set on there -- it's not going anywhere.

Top plate laid on the die the same way (for smaller dies, I don't even use the plate -- just the little steel "blocks" that came with the press).

Edited by JLSleather

I Was mainly talking about this one (pic robbed from 1CJK's press). 

The only advantage of this plate being welded in would be to speed things up right.  Every one I have seen on here has been welded in, and I was just wondering. 

IMG_1384.PNG

Hello, @1CJK! It's a shame I got to learn about this site almost 4 years later after your post... I've been searching on how to build a hydraulic press to emboss leather with a customized brass stamp I ordered from AliExpress (1.1/2" x 2.1/2") and the main issue bugging me is how to get the movable plate (at the bottom of the jack) parallel to the base plate. Most designs use a guide on the frame, but it ends up swinging a lot. In you project you used a kind of guide on the internal frame. Is there some king of bearing inside? Could you please share any additional information on how it works and/or how you built this part? Thanks and congrats on your project. It's amazing!

image.png.5641d69b40af5fd0755540c0b1b10db3.png

1 hour ago, Kuromizu said:

Hello, @1CJK! It's a shame I got to learn about this site almost 4 years later after your post... I've been searching on how to build a hydraulic press to emboss leather with a customized brass stamp I ordered from AliExpress (1.1/2" x 2.1/2") and the main issue bugging me is how to get the movable plate (at the bottom of the jack) parallel to the base plate. Most designs use a guide on the frame, but it ends up swinging a lot. In you project you used a kind of guide on the internal frame. Is there some king of bearing inside? Could you please share any additional information on how it works and/or how you built this part? Thanks and congrats on your project. It's amazing!

All you need to emboss that size stamp is an arbor press. Check out my post on DIY hot foil. My arbor press is now able to do all the rivets/ snaps etc  but also clicker duties. On the bigger size dies I just walk them around. And now it will emboss names and stamps and hot foil as well. And it's only a 1 ton press. I'll update the thread soon.