LeatherLegion

Wuta Stitching Irons

Just got the set today in the mail..only 5 days delivery time to Canada...

These are the 3.85mm (#7) , making very clean holes ,and they go in and out with ease.

I just tried 3 different threads on a 7-8oz  chrome tanned...from left to right : #138 bonded nylon , #207 bonded nylon ( both threads are being used in my sewing machine) and the heaviest thread is a .8mm waxed braided nylon. The #138 and the #207 filled out the holes nicely ...the .8mm seems a bit "bulky" for the 3.85mm stitch but it might look nice on certain projects

As usual , any comments , suggestions or critiques are more then welcome

19050478_1674776862829968_4985652776554987520_n.jpg

Left and middle look good to me. I agree the .8 looks a little bulky.

How many teeth on the other iron?

Edited by thefanninator

40 minutes ago, thefanninator said:

How many teeth on the other iron?

2 and 8 teeth ...got them on ebay

I recently got the same set. I am having a problem tracking my divider line though. Seems the slight rounding of the tips allows it to walk a bit.

Am I just being to picky or should I be doing something different?

I was really looking forward to getting them, but alas, on my current wallet project I reverted back to my trusty colink 15 dollar chisels.

Maybe put a little more weight on the divider? The thread is going to hide the line anyway, right? Just a thought.

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

should I be doing something different?

You can also use one of those adjustable edge creaser from Tandy. It leaves a wider groove..and as alpha2 said, put more pressure on it . Initially i thought the tips are flat, but they are round and it sinks in  the grove a bit. i was gonna get the Crimson but i couldn't justify spending the extra money. I just wished the handles were a bit beefier ...but overall i am happy with them

I have since been wanting to get the crimson's as well. I watched Nigel's review of them right after placing my wuta order.

I will try the more defined line, thanks.

I have the same chisels and like them very much.

If you notice them 'walking', it could be because their shape has one disadvantage.  The piercing edge is almost flat (similar to many pricking irons but different from many chisels intended to be driven all the way through).  Co-Link, Craftool, and many of the other chisels have a pointed tip, which is easier to locate in the groove and easier to centralize.

That one disadvantage doesn't outweigh thr many advantages (to me).  Because the piercing edge is nearly flat, these pierce leather quite easily and the hole on the back is the same size and shape as the one on the front... Similarly to a well-placed awl hole.  This is true even on thin leathers.  Many pricking irons will get quite wide if you pierce the leather very far (yet the hole on the back is flat), leaving the front and back different.  Many stitching chisels will have a point and so on thin leathers will leave a smaller hole on the back unless you pound quite deeply into the thin leather and into whatever you have beneath it.

There are pros and cons to every approach or tool, but I think Wuta's tip shape is why they could 'walk' on people accustomed to other chisels.

Edited by johnv474

Here is a simple card holder made using the Wuta pricking irons...the #207 thread seems a bit to heavy on this one 

19052235_461197067568305_8979189269037842432_n(1).jpg

19120759_466336263716266_8917890434932408320_n.jpg

I am still trying to improve my saddle stitch using stitching irons

Here is the front (left side) and the back (right side) .It looks like the i was not holding the irons perpendicularly when punching the holes and the back is not as straight as the front.

Critiques and suggestions are more than welcome. Thank you !

19228618_414608405591189_5177162400461225984_n.jpg

Edited by LeatherLegion

Lots of folks would be proud of your stitching.  Yes, one problem with irons is keeping them plumb.  Takes practice, but so does consistent awl work.

Nice job!

I bought Wuta pricking irons as well. 3mm / 9SPI. I don't trust myself to center the prongs every time so I line up the edge of the prongs to my divider line. I try to trace my line very lightly but you can still make it out.

0_20170627_234718.jpg

33 minutes ago, niakulah said:

I bought Wuta pricking irons as well. 3mm / 9SPI. I don't trust myself to center the prongs every time so I line up the edge of the prongs to my divider line. I try to trace my line very lightly but you can still make it out.

I do the same thing since I find it very hard to exactly center pricking irons on a line.  Stitching chisels are a little easier since they have points, but not quite the same thing.  I've been contemplating putting two lines, spaced to the width of the pricking iron and make a heavy-ish line to see how that would look - turn it into a feature!

Bill

On 28/06/2017 at 0:38 AM, billybopp said:

I do the same thing since I find it very hard to exactly center pricking irons on a line.  Stitching chisels are a little easier since they have points, but not quite the same thing.  I've been contemplating putting two lines, spaced to the width of the pricking iron and make a heavy-ish line to see how that would look - turn it into a feature!

Bill

Now that's an interesting idea. I just saw that on IG:

We also use the Wuta irons, we like them overall (especially for the price and quick shipping!). They are very sharp but I wish the handles were longer and they were heavier. That would greatly help in my opinion.

It's a challenge to keep a straight and consistent line of pricking marks from the edge, it does get easier with practice. Some leathers are easier than others to do this. I normally put a crease on the edge and then use that as a guide. Also, for Alran goat or similar leather (with a finish and grain) it is hard sometimes to even see a line made by a divider, that is where using the crease comes in handy.

In the photo below I just used the crease as my guide...

-Adam

59560f0c15908_IMG_6117(1).thumb.jpg.b01daa01e6295dd80f5ff066e70e9f61.jpg