JLSleather

Cutting Boards 'n' stuff

Where are we getting a quality cutting surface for clicker dies?  I've been getting by with cheap stuff... replacing pretty frequently.   Today, I do a search, and it takes me to Tippman.  So I guess I'll try that, and "add to cart", but - much like many sites - it won't let me see the shipping or expected time frame until after I "register" on the site.  They talked themselves out of my business with that - I left.

Here's the thing.. I"m just done 'signing up'.  Signed up for something at tandy years ago, and still getting crap in the mail and email.  Ordered once from cabela's.. got emails until I changed the email address. Went through all that at Weaver, just so they could send me some leather that .. well, let's just say that signing up at Weaver was a waste of time.  Like so many others.

Seriously.. I just want a cutting board to put under clicker dies that will last a bit without being an investment ...

Yep it's all to track our habits and wants and needs to sell us more. Sometime my wife and I think our phones and TV are spying on us. We will talk about something and Bam! there it is on our "home" page of something. But that's the way things are now. Nobody has anything anymore. I go to Home Depot to get something and they're all like oh we don't have it in store. We can order it for you. Well I can also order it but I wanted it now! And people complain about small shops closing. Same thing they will order it for you too.

Yeah, it's all part of the "get somebody else to do it for me" attitude that envelops the entire country. Closely related to the "give me your money today and I'll get you something in 8 to 10 weeks" routine.

Still haven't found what I want, though.  I can get something that looks like it would work, but it would have to be cut down to even fit in the press, and I jsut want a slice - not the whole loaf ;)

Oh, note that we get that from "leather people" too.... hour long video "production" to answer a simple question.. :rolleyes2:

Edited by JLSleather

I may be completely off track here but would a piece of rubber conveyor belt work? I know nothing about clicker presses but you could back the rubber with board of some sort to make it rigid and and watch the depth of the cutting punch to make sure you don't go through it all. Just thinking out loud. If it won't work forgive my ignorance. 

Nah. don't think tha's gonna work. Too soft.. the "board" would "mush" instead of letting the blade cut.  Needs to be more firm.. think more along the lines of kitchen cutting board (but not that). 

I'm curious about this clicker die thing, I do not own one or have even seen one.

But after seeing them on youtube, I wonder if a poly cutting board like you can get a walmart would be a good option?

I picked a 12"x18" poly board for the kitchen I thought might last a year, I'm still using it 5 years later. Just a thought

I don't know about clicker dies, but - I think I remember reading that HDPE plastic is the material to use - and it's the same material used in plastic cutting boards - Maybe somebody that knows more about clickers can jump in and let us know if this is in fact the right material.  Try these (they all have various sizes and thicknesses - and other types of plastic sheet material as well):

U.S. Plastic

W.W. Grainger

McMaster Carr

I've been looking at these for the day I finally build a workbench for cutting leather - Hopefully.

Hope that helps

Bill

Thanks, Bill.  From what I'm reading, that hdpe is fine for cutting with a knife, or a small punch.  Not sure it has the toughness (durability) to withstand tonnage (prone to crack?).  Appreciate the links and info!

Sad part is, a plate FOR a clicker press could be on the way right now if they weren't determined to sign me up for something.

Cutesy is the same -- they just started offering "guest" checkout, no registering on the site.  It's better for me (and preferred, but not 'critical') to sell things NOT on there, but I have seen an increase in the dollar amount of sales since they stopped requiring people to sign up (people come from Google, and spend $100 in stead of $20).

Look up Induscousa.com their number is 8003474472 you will find what your looking for at the right price and wont end up on a mailing list.  Once you buy you can thank me and I'll let ya know how much you owe me, check em out!!!!

Them folks what givya the pricin' is outta lunch.  Friendly fella on the phone, though -- even gave me some referral on the boys with the swing arm presses ;)

Callin' me back with pricin' after lunch ..

'Preciatecha Ron!

When you find out just what material they suggest using, let us know!   It could be helpful for future reference.

Located in Canada but have quality clicker boards:  http://simards.com/simona.html

Hi guys, 

Clicker cutting boards come in different types, but they're generally plastic or hard rubber.  Hard Butyl rubber tends to last longer, but the dies don't cut quite as well, and the boards are harder to plane smooth again.  Plastic boards, IMHO, are better because they're relatively cheap and can easily be planed smooth again.   HDPE, Polyethylene, HDPS, and other cutting board surfaces all work well.  Don't bother trying to buy something labeled "clicker boards".  Just go to a plastics company and buy a 4ft x 4ft x 1" sheet and ask them to cut it down for you.  They'll charge a small fee for cutting it, but you'll have 2 boards, which means you can continue working while your other one is getting planed smooth.  

Try not to plane the board to less than 1/2".  Some of the older clickers don't have a rubber bump stop at the bottom, and there's a chance you'll damage the machine if you bottom the head.  I start thinking about getting a new one once they're around 3/4" thick.  After that, they become work bench board, or if they're clean enough, I'll use them for my BBQ smoker stuff.  

Alexander

Well that certainly didn't pan out.  Some guy say the other guy call me after lunch  Never did get a call.

Ordered something from somebody.. don't even remmebr now, but I guess I'll see it when it gets here.

cant winem all or all ways hitem outa the park.

Yeah, it'll be fine.. works out one way or another.  Would have been simpler if Tippman just state what they want for shipping, but :dunno:  Had they done that, they might have sold a couple dies, too...

On 6/27/2017 at 11:13 AM, JLSleather said:

Seriously.. I just want a cutting board to put under clicker dies that will last a bit without being an investment ...

Just had to buy some more boards.  1" thick polyethylene was about $475 for a full 8x4 sheet, including cutting fee.  Works out to about 10 cents per sqin, or about $14.60 per sqft.  

For the dimensions I use, I was able to get 8 or so out of the sheet.  If your dimensions are odd, the individual prices can go way up.  Some of those older, bigger german machines have big boards and that equates to about $100+ for the material.  

I've just done a deal for a 20 tonne hydraulic clicker (€350.00 including a inverter to convert from 3 phase) I don't need it yet but I think in the future it will work out for me. But the cost of getting the dies made is very expensive! Does anyone make their own? 

41 minutes ago, nstarleather said:

No I can usually get a wood filled steel rule for under $100 for simple shapes and rarely over $200 even for complex ones...

Just know what you need:  woodfilled are cheapest, then open steel-rule, then forged...

I think that's expensive... I suppose I'm not selling anything yet and if I was... 100.00 is not bad in the whole scheme of things. But still,  I think I'd like to try a lot of different projects with a clicker and if I had to spend 100 each time I'd need to win the lottery!

53 minutes ago, nstarleather said:

No I can usually get a wood filled steel rule for under $100 for simple shapes and rarely over $200 even for complex ones...

Just know what you need:  woodfilled are cheapest, then open steel-rule, then forged...

That does sound pricey and the wood fill ones don't last as long..  I get all metal dies in that price range.  Maybe try Economy Die Makers

They are in Ontario but that means with CAN/US exchange, you get about an extra 20% off the cost.