Wossname

First pair of sabatons and greaves

I recently finished my first bit of armor work, this pair of greaves and sabatons (and spur leathers with no spurs, ha ha). I'm cosplaying as a D&D character from a popular web series (Percy from Critical Role) and designed a costume with a bunch of historical nods to what is a fantasy gunslinger. So, it's a little gothic, a little 17th century musketeer, a little steampunk.

I own a pair of very comfy riding boots, so patterned everything custom for as tight a fit as possible. The added weight is noticeable, but I can still run, jump, etc. I've got strap savers to add, a little color matching to do, and some additional weathering/antiquing, but I'm pretty dang happy for my first big leather project. The completed costume will have a leather breastplate, pauldron, plague doctor mask, rifle sling, gauntlet, sidearm holster, and misc accessories. So, I'm no where finished, lol.

tumblr_otu6ktamW01saapdjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_otzds8ZphQ1saapdjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_otzds8ZphQ1saapdjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_otzrn0ZLzM1saapdjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Wossname
small addition to project description

That's very cool!!! good idea to build on pair of boots that fit well

I look forward to seeing the whole deal.... I was a child larper before it was thing... and dreamt of making a full leather deal to run around in.. and a metal one....

By strap savers do you mean "keepers"?

Wow, looks great! Must've taken a ton of work!

16 hours ago, plinkercases said:

That's very cool!!! good idea to build on pair of boots that fit well

I look forward to seeing the whole deal.... I was a child larper before it was thing... and dreamt of making a full leather deal to run around in.. and a metal one....

By strap savers do you mean "keepers"?

Thank you! And yes, I meant "keepers", lol. 

15 hours ago, Bonecross said:

That looks amazing!

Thank you! I wish I could embed my motion test to show off the articulation. :D

12 hours ago, motocouture said:

Wow, looks great! Must've taken a ton of work!

About 24 hours, including patterning. (I'm trying to get in the habit of writing down my build times for future reference.) Watched a lot of Netflix while stitching and doing the texture stamp, ha ha.

Looks good!  Keep posting as you make new items for your costume. I never did LARP,but I was an SCAer back in the day.  My costumes were not that elaborate.  Very nice for yout first big  project, (or your 20th!).

Holy Smokes! That is amazing and beautiful. Well done.

Keep us updated, please.

Really love the look of these to me the top of leather working, at least for me and its something I really want to try, is armour making!

21 hours ago, Windrider30 said:

Really love the look of these to me the top of leather working, at least for me and its something I really want to try, is armour making!

Thanks, and I feel the same way! I really want to teach more leather working skills in the cosplay community -- right now, the big thing is EVA foam, because people think it's the fastest or most inexpensive solution or they are intimidated by leather.

On the flip side, though, knowing your way around EVA foam makes it easy to pattern and make prototypes for leather, ha ha. Though for me, the EVA foam ironically tends to be the bigger expense. (I have an absurd amount of leather I bought for pennies on the dollar from Craigslist. Those boots cost me maybe $20 in vegtan.)

Great looking pieces, nice detailing :)

We need updated pics of you in garb when you get the chance. I think this is awesome to follow along with and your work so far is damn sweet.

They look great.