SheltathaLore

$600 a good deal on Pfaff 1245 with servo?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/for/d/pfaffindustrial-sewing-machine/6320813153.html

If it works well, I'm guessing it's a pretty solid deal for my use case (topstitching boots, chrome tan under 3/8" total; as much as I love my Typical GC6760, I doubt that a garment needle feed will cut it), with the following caveats:

• I hear Pfaff parts are expensive and/or harder to come by
  • It has a legit-looking servo, but I might still want to change out the pulley or add a speed reducer
  • I really wish I had a truck.  Figuring out how to move stuff like this is always such a hassle.  >.<

sounds good BUT seems the stitch length adjuster knob is NOT the original one!!! Not sure if it is working as it should - test the machinate before you buy it!!! I´d also test the built in bobbin winder. And check the condition of the timing belt (afaik the 1245 has a timing belt).

You don´t need a truck for this machine.

Edited by Constabulary

Good catch - I hadn't compared it in detail to a picture of a new one.  I'd definitely test it before buying, for sure.

Well... it's either rent something, or try to cram it into my Honda Civic, which would probably be hilariously unsuccessful.  And at that point I might as well rent something that lets me get it home without breaking it down. 

ha - okay - civic is a quite useless car for transporting something  bigger than a beer crate - check out a Mazda 6 station wagon - you get 2 sewing machines in it   ;) 

You still could disassemble the stand - not a too big deal - then even the civic can haul 2 machines :huh:

I would want to confirm that it is indeed a Pfaff. From those pictures I'm not so sure. 

From what I can tell, comparing photos on the 'net, it appears to be a 1245 -6/01, although the stitch length adjuster looks different (may have been repaired?). I couldn't figure out why it didn't say Pfaff anywhere, but it looks like they've stuck the light and a label over the name (??). The motor also matches some I've seen on similar 1245 photos.

As for moving it, I have a Subaru XV (Crosstrail in the US, I think) and by folding the rear seats flat and dismantling the machines I've got all of mine home that way. Lift the head unit off, remove motor from table, unbolt legs and dismantle etc - easy. At face value looks pretty good for $600.

Edited by dikman

I'm normally a Pfaff fan, but I'm getting bad vibes from that CL ad. To me it looks like it's been driven hard by uncaring people, and then suffered a botched paint job. It ranks on my desirable-o-meter scale right up there with a once-fabulous 80's BMW that now has a body by Bondo®, a window held up with duct tape, and a spray can paint job.

It may also just be a clone, not a genuine Pfaff, like Joe suggested.  $600 for a serviceable genuine Pfaff is okay, but $600 for a worn-out clone is too much. 

It may look better in person, but normally it's the other way around. 

For the archive:

CL-Pfaff-1245.jpg

Edited by Uwe

Ditto with Uwe..Table and bed has seen a lot of use, and there are a lot of rolls of what might be plastic tarps and banner and maybe sail or vinyl material under those tables..worked hard, many "cliks" of cloth sewn, and it maybe a clone.

Edited by mikesc

Checked with the seller, and they sent me pictures of the badge - assuming the badge isn't a lie, it is actually a Pfaff.  That said, given the wear, I think that I will nope out on the three hour drive.  It's just a pity there are no decent used machines available locally, even in the industrial shops.  I'm not quite ready to dump $1300-$1500 into a new machine just yet.

image3.JPG

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Thanks for posting the photos, the discussion sheds some light on used machines and their conditions.  With all that aside I thought it was good to mention that, that particular model in bare bones sales I seen on sale! at 1,995.US and most important Im not sure if the present new machine is a clone, so could be a bit different.

In respect I get a grin with; This 3hr travel, to me sounds a breeze. I have not been that lucky rather to another State in travel with all but one and a 4hr minimum one way. Sometimes this is the best option and in taking a break!

Have a Good day

Floyd

Have you contacted C.H. Holderby Co. there in Seattle?

4 hours ago, machinehead said:

Have you contacted C.H. Holderby Co. there in Seattle?

Yep.  Sadly, the best they (or Sewing Machine Service in Renton) can do is a new Highlead (206 clone, I believe) for $1400-$1500... and once I factor in sales tax, I might as well be paying freight.  I mean, having something known to work with support from a local dealer isn't a bad thing, but part of me just wants to keep looking for a good deal.

I suppose if I really want to go the DIY route, I could snag something like this 227 (I would really love a cylinder bed if possible, but those are much harder to come by) and try to get it set up. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Industrial-Sewing-Machine-Model-Consew-227-Walking-foot-cylinder-Leather-/182817166857

5 hours ago, brmax said:

Thanks for posting the photos, the discussion sheds some light on used machines and their conditions.  With all that aside I thought it was good to mention that, that particular model in bare bones sales I seen on sale! at 1,995.US and most important Im not sure if the present new machine is a clone, so could be a bit different.

In respect I get a grin with; This 3hr travel, to me sounds a breeze. I have not been that lucky rather to another State in travel with all but one and a 4hr minimum one way. Sometimes this is the best option and in taking a break!

Have a Good day

Floyd

If only I didn't hate driving quite so much :-/

1 hour ago, SheltathaLore said:

I mean, having something known to work with support from a local dealer isn't a bad thing, but part of me just wants to keep looking for a good deal.

I don't know how long you've been looking, but my council is, "Patience", regarding finding a "good deal" (I know, not really what you want to hear). Asking the gods of Craigslist to provide a good deal less than 1/2 hrs drive may be asking a bit much. 

It took me about a month looking somewhat locally, and a few more weeks expanding my Craigslist range, to find anything that was actually a walking foot machine, and they all required a bit of driving. I drive a 4door sedan, w/o easy access to a larger vehicle, and could haul home the entire machine/table setup by dismantling it (w/ my random collection of scavenged/inherited tools). 

Be aware that a "good deal" usually takes some mechanical work on your part, so if you need to be up and working quickly, you may want to change your strategy a bit. Good luck!

8 minutes ago, RhodesAveDesigns said:

I don't know how long you've been looking, but my council is, "Patience", regarding finding a "good deal" (I know, not really what you want to hear). Asking the gods of Craigslist to provide a good deal less than 1/2 hrs drive may be asking a bit much. 

It took me about a month looking somewhat locally, and a few more weeks expanding my Craigslist range, to find anything that was actually a walking foot machine, and they all required a bit of driving. I drive a 4door sedan, w/o easy access to a larger vehicle, and could haul home the entire machine/table setup by dismantling it (w/ my random collection of scavenged/inherited tools). 

Be aware that a "good deal" usually takes some mechanical work on your part, so if you need to be up and working quickly, you may want to change your strategy a bit. Good luck!

Yep, I know.  But you can generally get an idea of prices and trends by looking at what's currently available, and the snapshot of the local market that I'm seeing at the moment isn't terribly encouraging.

I'm not requiring it to be within half an hour, but a six hour round trip really doesn't work for me for medical reasons.

Hey-

I was also trying to offer a bit if hope, in that, in my experience, I went from absolutely nothing available somewhat nearby to more than a few, all in the course of weeks/ a couple months. I, too, was frustrated, and thought I might go crazy performing the same search over, and over, and over. Where I am, there isn't anyplace with industrial machines, although local shops specializing in embroidery and quilting machines can order products/supplies they know nothing about (a small vent, in that I prefer to work with knowledgeable companies/ individuals= a big shout-out to Bob at Toledo Industrial).

Being more specialized, walking foot machines are definitely more scarce, and usually more expensive, than standard industrial or zig-zag capable machines (leading many to *want* vintage Singer and others to do things they weren't made to do). I know that there are a good number of individuals doing leatherwork in the NW, probably in no small part because of Maverick, Oregon Leather, and other suppliers somewhat nearby. So hopefully an appropriate machine pops up soon.

A 6 hr round-trip is definitely a bit much. I can barely move today, after spending 13 hrs driving yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, RhodesAveDesigns said:

Hey-

I was also trying to offer a bit if hope, in that, in my experience, I went from absolutely nothing available somewhat nearby to more than a few, all in the course of weeks/ a couple months. I, too, was frustrated, and thought I might go crazy performing the same search over, and over, and over. Where I am, there isn't anyplace with industrial machines, although local shops specializing in embroidery and quilting machines can order products/supplies they know nothing about (a small vent, in that I prefer to work with knowledgeable companies/ individuals= a big shout-out to Bob at Toledo Industrial).

Being more specialized, walking foot machines are definitely more scarce, and usually more expensive, than standard industrial or zig-zag capable machines (leading many to *want* vintage Singer and others to do things they weren't made to do). I know that there are a good number of individuals doing leatherwork in the NW, probably in no small part because of Maverick, Oregon Leather, and other suppliers somewhat nearby. So hopefully an appropriate machine pops up soon.

A 6 hr round-trip is definitely a bit much. I can barely move today, after spending 13 hrs driving yesterday. 

Ah, my apologies... I think I should have had some tea before I replied; it came across a bit crankier than I intended.  Sorry about that. :-/

Guess I'll just keep refreshing craigslist, and call up one of the recommended leather machine suppliers here if I just completely run out of patience.  I am pretty hyped for making more shoes :D Preferably before I forget everything I learned in class, heh.

No problem, I understand the frustration.

If you haven't, already, get "creative" with your Craigslist searches. In my experience, even though you would *think* searching "sewing machine" would bring up every "sewing machine" post, it doesn't. So, also search "Industrial Sewing Machine", "Commercial Sewing Machine", "Leather Sewing Machine", etc. And look closely at the pictures in different listings (you can get additional information that way), not everyone listing knows how to properly list a product, and may not know anything about the machine they are selling, so they may not list the model/ model number/ machine attributes (this may or may not be a "bad" sign regarding the machine's condition). Definitely have your own needles/ thread/ leather to test with. 

Like others have said, a dealer machine will be in the "best" possible shape, but other machines/sellers offer buyers other possibilities. Unfortunately, you probably will "pay" with time/ frustration for a bit. I am currently on the lookout for my own cylinder arm "deal"; unfortunately, those I've found so far are either $$$, or in Wisconsin (and only fit the "200 mile" range if you chart it straight across Lake Michigan). I about cried last week when a Pfaff 335 went up for $600, and I'm telling myself it was a dud (it "disappeared" very quickly, hopefully to a good home).

P.S. Craigslist has been good to me lately, and I recently added a sweet, devoted, handsome Australian Shepherd to my household, from persons who were physically and mentally abusing him through a combination of outright abuse and a lack of positive attention/ exercise. He and I fell in love instantly, although we are working on his ability to allow me out of his sight for any length of time. 

Edited by RhodesAveDesigns
Additional info

Oh definitely... my current craigslist search is "juki | pfaff | consew | singer| adler | commercial | industrial | upholstery | leather machine | sewing -embroidery -serger -coverstitch -treadle -featherweight -cabinet", which is the best I could do so far without going over the search term limit.  Sadly, "sewing" is not always in the title of these, so I also have to filter through the industrial mixing machines, etc.  Oh well.  I'll just have to keep refining it.

Congratulations on the addition to your family!  My older dog passed away last week, but I adopted another one, and he is the most precious little cuddlebug you've ever seen, and gets along great with my other dog.  Still thinks that the big wide world is a little bit too scary, but a while in a stable home with lots of love does wonders for rescues, in my experience.  And his big sister Sophie (in my profile pic!) will teach him very quickly that the big world isn't scary - it's AWESOME and filled with smells and people who will pet you.

You definitely have searching "down", and I give you props for that (I don't think most people try that hard). With that level of diligence, you will definitely find something. 

I'm sorry about your loss, but glad 2 read about your addition. Mine joined my 12 yr old border collie mix, who finds him a *bit* annoying, yet goes and sleeps next to his crate, and instigates crazy chasing games. He follows her and copies much of what she does, like any little brother, so it's all coming together nicely.