KingsCountyLeather

A lot of leather hides.

Hi all,

Ive come across a closed shoe factory which has an almost endless supply of leather hides for a small leather crafter like me.

they’re not free but are very cheap!  Most of the leather is soft, like bag leather. All chrome tan. Embossed, plain, printed, elk, bovine, etc...

I’ve only started leather working this year, so not very experienced. 

My problem is I don’t know if I should buy some of the leather for future use when I’m more experienced? Or should I let it go and buy leather as needed for specific projects? Or learn how to make bags and make a fortune from cheap leather?

Any suggestions? 

Buy, buy, buy! You'll not get the chance again. The more you buy perhaps you'll get a better deal on it too. Buy as much as you can afford.

Its too good to miss up. Its all very useful; you can make all sorts of small items, plus it can be used for lining insides of bags etc

buy all now.

Often opportunity only knocks once.

I always buy leather when the price is excellent.  I often am not sure what it is going to get used for, but it always does get used over time.

The advice sounds good... but keep in mind, there’s pallets upon pallets of this leather, maybe up to 100 pallets. There was veg tanned leather and someone making re-enactment gear for Viking movies bought it all. Someone else bought all the good machines. Tonne’s of clickers were sold as scrap metal.

almost all of the leather is 2-3mm or more so it’s heavier than lining. But none is heavy enough for belts unless doubled up, it feels too flexible.

Sole leather went for armour I bet!

I wouldn't say buy 100 pallets!!! but buy what you can afford and have space for... if it is chrome leather for the uppers it is really most likely you will use for (if not shoes) bags/liners/box covering - maybe book sleeves...vests ?. so if you think you will use it, can afford it, and can store it GO FOR IT. and send pics!!

8 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

The advice sounds good... but keep in mind, there’s pallets upon pallets of this leather, maybe up to 100 pallets. There was veg tanned leather and someone making re-enactment gear for Viking movies bought it all. Someone else bought all the good machines. Tonne’s of clickers were sold as scrap metal.

almost all of the leather is 2-3mm or more so it’s heavier than lining. But none is heavy enough for belts unless doubled up, it feels too flexible.

That wasn't Boyd Rankin was it by any chance?

We that live out in the country have a saying .. If you don't have to feed it buy it ..

9 hours ago, Matt S said:

@KingsCountyLeather Do you have any photos of what they have left?

From what I saw... photos wouldn’t help you decide to buy anything. It was a very large warehouse that had pallets of leather thrown in a disorderly way on the floor and on the first floor were pallets on wall racks with some order to the hides as in colour and styles (swade, embossed, printed, etc.) it all had a bit of a musty smell as it has laid there for around 17 years, but they all looked in good condition.

11 hours ago, fredk said:

That wasn't Boyd Rankin was it by any chance?

That name hasn’t come up anywhere? Who is he?

Age and smell might cause you to pause... understand the condition prior to purchase, so you don't end up with useless material.

YinTx

1 hour ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

That name hasn’t come up anywhere? Who is he?

Boyd and his wife Lynne are Irish Arms [in Cavan afaik]. They have made the equipment for the film  'Arthur', some for 'Braveheart' , 'Vikings' and lots of other major medieval & historic films and programmes

He's likely to have been the person who bought that leather.

Edited by fredk

If you have the $$, buy now. bargains' don't come easy, far an few   buy  buy  buy