Hey everyone! Im fairly new to the leatherworking industry and im just starting to build up my tool collection. Ive begun to get more and more orders so im looking for something to help my efficiency in production. One thing that slows me down is installing button snaps and rivets. Maybe i need more practice doing it by hand but i have trouble setting these in sometimes. This slows me down since i have to remove the messed up snap or rivet and can sometimes cause me to damage or scratch the item im working on. Its also happened a couple of times when the snap or rivet come off altogether after i thought it was securely in place. I want to produce high quality items for my customers and rid the fear of the item possibly coming appart. Can anyone point me in the direction of an affordable snap/rivet press? The one's on tandy are a little to pricey for me at the moment. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

P.s. i dont mind buying second hand tools!

Much appreciated, 

Ruben

Many people have converted arbor presses bought cheaply from a US machinery dealer [can't remember the name] Make a search on here for Arbor Press might throw up some better answers. The Tandy fittings for their press fits into some of the cheaper arbor presses

Edit; I just noticed I had this bookmarked > 

Edited by fredk

I bought a 1 ton arbor press from Harbor Freight for @$40, then drilled a hole in the ram to accept dies, setters, etc.  works great for stamping, setting rivets, grommets, eyelets, etc.  Do a search for arbor press on this forum and you will see many posts on how to modify and use arbor presses!

If you're not so handy with the tools, you could also just buy a press from one of the larger retailers. Black Friday is coming up. There may be some deals. Here are a couple of examples.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/search/?sSearch=press

Has anyone used an arbor press as a clicker press?  Or do they not have enough force and you'd need a shop press?

My Dake 2 1/2P is good for 6 tons and has 20” of daylight under the ram. Haven’t tried it for leather work, it probably would be a little awkward as the throw is pretty long. I use it for bearings, bushings, etc. It’s really intended for broaching, that’s why the long travel. Weighs a bit over 300 pounds.

1 hour ago, strathmoredesigns said:

Has anyone used an arbor press as a clicker press?  Or do they not have enough force and you'd need a shop press?

Works for small items.  Have done 4" circle in 8/9 oz heavy temper leather, had to use 4 bites to make it work, plus some extra leverage.

Tom

@Northmount were you using something like this as the foot on your arbor press or just the rod it comes with to punch out the leather?

il_570xN.960816100_8hct.jpg

On 11/2/2017 at 0:08 PM, OrtizCustomLeather said:

Hey everyone! Im fairly new to the leatherworking industry and im just starting to build up my tool collection. Ive begun to get more and more orders so im looking for something to help my efficiency in production. One thing that slows me down is installing button snaps and rivets. Maybe i need more practice doing it by hand but i have trouble setting these in sometimes. This slows me down since i have to remove the messed up snap or rivet and can sometimes cause me to damage or scratch the item im working on. Its also happened a couple of times when the snap or rivet come off altogether after i thought it was securely in place. I want to produce high quality items for my customers and rid the fear of the item possibly coming appart. Can anyone point me in the direction of an affordable snap/rivet press? The one's on tandy are a little to pricey for me at the moment. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

P.s. i dont mind buying second hand tools!

Much appreciated, 

Ruben

Ruben, I have a pair of these I've had for over 10 years now, . . . and while at times I'll fail to set every thing up right, . . . if I do my part, . . . these never fail me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-Pliers-Set-Canvas-Marine-Heavy-Duty-Fabric-Button-Fastener-Installation/352192247767?hash=item52004b37d7:g:JXYAAOSwvTpaA2V9&vxp=mtr

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

5 hours ago, strathmoredesigns said:

@Northmount were you using something like this as the foot on your arbor press or just the rod it comes with to punch out the leather?

Just using the end of the ram.  A plate as you have shown would help as long as the size of die is not too large.  You could move up to a 3 ton arbor press if you want more punching power.

Tom