LoneWolf1973

Looking for some help with a pattern

I am looking for some assistance with a wallet.  I have had a request to make a bi fold but with a badge holder in it.  My problem is designing the holder part.

Details of the badge would help us help you

Detail; size, shape, thickness etcetera

He had said a "generic" badge holder...I am not even sure if that can be done out of leather because of different dimensions...he was wanting them for gifts to his vet group.

Need to find out what badge he intends to use i.e. Sheriff, police, fire, military. 

So the badge area is generally two layers the back piece has two slots for the "pin" to secure to, the top layer is has the badge outline cut into it, this is so the badge sets flushish and doesn't cause a really odd hump in the wallet.

I have made a few FD and PD badge holder/wallets and the one thing I can say for certain is there are no generic badges!. There are numerous shapes available. There are also different curvatures on the back side. Some of the officers I know have purchased separate badges on their own that are flat and intended specifically for use in a badge holder. Fire88 pretty much described the same process I have used in the past for curved badges.

If you can get your hands on one of the badges to trace it's shape that would certainly be a good place to start.

Edited by Ed in Tx

Thank you for the replies...I will contact him and get more details about the badge such as an outline.

Once you have the basic bi-fold cut out and ready, . . . take another piece of 5/6 leather, . . . make it the size that will cover one end of the bi-fold, . . . outline the badge on the leather, . . . and cut it out.

On the next layer down, . . . punch two holes for the pin on the back of the badge.

Cement and stitch or lace as you please, . . . but that is how I make mine.  AND, I won't start on one until I know for certain the size and shape of the badge.  Like was said above, there are just too many different variations.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you Dwight...I try to avoid badges so I was unaware of the mass variations