KingsCountyLeather

Has anyone tried Un-doing saddle stitching?

Hi,

I was sewing some leather last night, the light wasn’t great and I pulled some stitches a bit too tight.

looking at it this morning... I would like to redo it.

has anyone ever tried to rip back the stitched and re do it again?

Ger.

Yep.  Do it all the time.  If you want a good-looking job you have to be willing to do it from time.  Just work from the off-side so tool marks don't show.  Back up to where it is presentable and go back three more stitches,  Then use whatever splicing method you are comfortable with and make it right. No need to separate the leathers as long as they were aligned while you were doing the original stitching.

The Colonel 

Not a big deal, but you do have to cut every stitch. Each one is a knot. That's the beauty of the saddle stitch.

Unless, of course, you have to undo them! 

Hand saddle stitching is one reason I have a very sharp knife that will get down between the layers of leather.

May God bless,

Dwight

I try not to have to separate the layers, but sometimes you just have to.  I use a standard stitch-ripper on occasion, but they don't last very long if your stitching is tight. X-acto knife with number 11 blade seems to be the solution -- for me anyway.

"hook blade" for a scalpel..( looks like a tiny flattened, elongated  "sickle" ).the one that the doctors ( or vets use ) to cut stitches prior to pulling them out ..probably a #10 ( or maybe #11 ) "something"..I have some here somewhere, but it is 23.30hrs..a wee bit late to go looking for the pack to get the number off it.

practice with it on something else 'til you get proficient, else you'll miss/slip and bleed on your leather..adds "authenticity", but most customers probably won't see it that way.

Edited by mikesc

Speaking of which ... If you haven't discovered liquid bandage, this is the time.  Although I do not recommend practicing this art, you can apply this stuff ( which is essentially super glue for skin) and get right back to work with a lot less pain, as the cut is not exposed to air, and no more bleeding on your project.  I've had it used (by a surgeon) on my face and hands, and I've used it on my fingers so many times I can't recall.  I keep a bottle in my shop, in my truck, shaving kit, saddle bags, and medicine cabinet.  Available at about any drug store.   you can thank me later.

Thanks everyone for the great tips.  It’s nice to see that I’m not the only one here making mistakes! :P

In France we can't get "liquid bandage"..but I carry super glue ( against cuts )..always..like I carry cash..and a credit card, driving licence and ID..I also keep super glue in the kitchen, and next to my workbenches and computers.. and have explained to family that super glue is for first aid sticking sides of wounds together while the medics are on their way..or while we are driving/ being driven , to the hospital emergency room..also keep it in the first aid kits in vehicles.

Edited by mikesc

34 minutes ago, mikesc said:

In France we can't get "liquid bandage"..but I carry super glue ( against cuts )..always..like I carry cash..and a credit card, driving licence and ID..I also keep super glue in the kitchen, and next to my workbenches and computers.. and have explained to family that super glue is for first aid sticking sides of wounds together while the medics are on their way..or while we are driving/ being driven , to the hospital emergency room..also keep it in the first aid kits in vehicles.

My prayers go out to you and your family. Remember to cut away from your fingers. Maybe wear gloves when typing on your computer? Sounds dangerous.

I've been told that chainsaw sculpture,  skydiving and going somewhere where one might be shot at are dangerous too.. ;)

I only wear gloves when working with 3 phase and HT.

But I do have a lot of scars on my hands..and elsewhere..

you eat life..or...

Beware of Maya.. :)

ps..In my family , we are all atheists.

Edited by mikesc

When my son was 3 yo he fell against a door jam and split his forehead,  While my son was in my arms, the doctor said he’d glue it with superglue so he wouldn’t have a scar. When he finished glueing the cut... he was talking directly to my son, but my son was a bit shy and lowered his head to my shoulder and stuck his forehead to my jacket! My son is almost 18 yo now and still has a scar on his forehead... ;)

I know that I shouldn't be..but I'm giggling at that.. ;)

2 minutes ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

When my son was 3 yo he fell against a door jam and split his forehead,  While my son was in my arms, the doctor said he’d glue it with superglue so he wouldn’t have a scar. When he finished glueing the cut... he was talking directly to my son, but my son was a bit shy and lowered his head to my shoulder and stuck his forehead to my jacket! My son is almost 18 yo now and still has a scar on his forehead... ;)

nearly blew beer out of my nose. Best belly laugh in a while!

7 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Hi,

I was sewing some leather last night, the light wasn’t great and I pulled some stitches a bit too tight.

looking at it this morning... I would like to redo it.

has anyone ever tried to rip back the stitched and re do it again?

Ger.

Yep re-did some last night luckily I figured out the stitch was bad before I got too far along. If your not finished you can unsew it if you’ve finished get out the craft knife. Had to redo a whole purse earlier this year.

Edited by Fire88

Yes I have had to do it to. As some one mentioned, a Stitch Ripper, you can buy them in sewing/haberdashery shops, normally used with cloth, the have a long rounded spike the won't dig into the leather or cloth and a sharp mini blade to cut the thread. They only cost a couple of pounds and are very handy.

Here's a link to UK Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=stitch+rippers&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=2978721297&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1vof0whjte_e

I mostly make sheaths which have relatively sort runs of stitching. If I see that a problem or mistake is starting to occur I unsew/unpick/ tease out the stitching with my round awl or a dart head. Straighten or pull out that thread with your fingers or through beeswax and you can carry on sewing without a join

I sew leather by hand, but I also sew tents, rucsacs, and outdoor clothing by machine.

Whether sewing leather or fabric, if I need to cut through stitching I use either a stitch ripper or a number 3 Swan Morton scalpel handle with a number 10 or 10A blade

Yes; I have had to do it too. If I'm still sewing and the needles are attached I just reverse stitch back to the error and then stitch forwards again. But if all is done, eg on a repair job I have three tools in my armoury for cutting the sewn threads. Two have been mentioned already; the dress-makers seam ripper [on the left] - mostly for fine threads, a Swann Morton #12 scalpel blade in a SM handle - good for regular leather thread and even lacing up to 2mm thick [centre] and on the right, a dental pick, as it comes the point is sharp but I blunted it so it doesn't dig into the leather - its handy for loosening threads or lacing amongst other jobs

thread cutters, 01s.jpg

That's what the Fid was made for. Undoing knots and pulling out lace that needs to be redone, or ends joined when finished. 

Chas

Bob Douglas sells a tool called a “stitch line channeler” and put up a video about a year ago on Facebook demonstrating how to use it to cut stitches.