Made my grandson some bracers it was my 1st go at this and I think I pulled it off just right 

IMG_20171213_25214.jpg.1677a25fea9777b41fe60e9d6d773670.jpg

Thank you he is a growing lad so put a bit extra on

Future leatherworker, no doubt!  Great job.

Very nice! I'm sure he'll gret good use out of them. 

Just a bit of correction on the terminology here, though. Those are braces, used to hold up pants.

Bracers are quite different:  They are used to protect the arms for people who like to play around with swords and medieval armour! (LARP stands for Live Action Role Playing).

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Whereas in UK English,( actually I think in any other country's English, other than the strange USA "variant" ) "suspenders" are what women wear to hold up stockings.. :)

Btw..definitely not confusing Canada with USA..

Edited by mikesc

Here women used to use garter straps and a garter belt to hold up their silk or nylon stockings.  So I see where the use of suspenders would apply.

Men just used a tight elastic band (garter) to help hold up knee high socks.  That would strangle my legs and just about kill me.

Tom

Just another word for the same thing. If you click on my link above, you'll see both terms used by posters on this site. I've seen bracers used many times in literature, too, as I'm into authors that do Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones/ type stories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracer

I'm familiar with braces as well, because both my dad and grand-dad used to wear them to hold up their pants back in the 1950's!  

Edit: further research shows a bracer is actually an archery arm guard, while a vambrace is a piece of armor. However, people who do LARP don't distinguish between the two. So. 480 volt, you were right! Technically, they are different.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

My kids are hard-core LARPers. It’s probably my personal conceit that I use armor terminology to describe them, but that’s what I intend them as when I make them.