Mjolnir

Show your Repurpose

What I've enjoyed about the posts here, more than anything else, are the moments that I spot something in the background of a photo. The, 'What is that!?' moment. The craftsmanship and ingenuity of the members here are unparalleled. Please share how you have modified a tool, created a tool, or made something that makes the craft unique, personalized, or easier.

I found my only use for a stitch groover was to help make a better bonding surface when glueing. 

Made a scrap offcut of square steel tube into an anvil to reach into the bottom of bags and things. Made a video on it here:

When I first started, one of my biggest challenges was setting snaps, I don't know why, but I would constantly screw up the dome side that you crimp the spring piece onto. So, instead of learning how to do it right, I came up with a whole range of crutches to help me get by. The funny shaped piece of steel that vaguely resembles a section of rail road track has a snap setter installed into the top of it, the small brass thingy clips into the spring of a snap and guides the mandril that peens the tube to make a perfect set every time. I can't claim that one, copied it from one that a friend had, don't know where you can find them. And the divided leather box was made by my wife as a birthday present. DSCN3850.thumb.jpg.91f7739902d3f93106652ac98f95fb6c.jpg

Edited by Jake907

I needed something new to do today and I was inspired by a pic of stacked leather to be made into a handle. I have two swivel knives one is an ergonomic, not cheap, knife the other is a, throw away tandy starter. So I had a waste of space to improve :) ( never post that you have a tool to... nevermind). I shaped it with my trusty beltsander and mouse sander. the handle is from my better knife just because. I mottled a little dye and burnished with beeswax.

20171228_142244_resized_1.jpg

13 hours ago, Wedgetail said:

Made a scrap offcut of square steel tube into an anvil to reach into the bottom of bags and things. Made a video on it here:

Show that cool bench you've got. and details to go with it! My theory is you cut up a work out bench for this stuff.

Here I’m finishing up an old bench tool system into a sander/burnisher. Not sure which mandrel system I’m gonna use just yet. 

DACBD253-8275-4E53-B64C-E7BEC3C87514.jpeg

Edited by Fire88
Redo photo

Here is my setup using a photo back drop stand the pana vice attached to my bench is the greatest thing I have ever bought. 

20171229_210029_resized.jpg

On 12/28/2017 at 6:14 PM, Fire88 said:

Here I’m finishing up an old bench tool system into a sander/burnisher. Not sure which mandrel system I’m gonna use just yet. 

DACBD253-8275-4E53-B64C-E7BEC3C87514.jpeg

I think I have that same arbor in my shop waiting for me to put it to use. 

I guess I can play.. here is my stitching "Clydesdale" as @bikermutt07dubbed it.20171225_151300_resized.jpg.32de37fd2d54ebc34d65e2a2435f343a.jpg the jaw arms came from the arms of an old exercise machine, the jaws are 3" angle iron 7 1/2- 8" long. Second photo is before the jaws were covered and the new "tightening knob" was installed. You can see in this photo the" tilt" function/rotational knuckle. 20170402_163923_resized_0.jpg.af9fb794934dd75fe8910d23f135eba2.jpg the rest of the frame is 2x2" square tubing recycled from other scrap I had laying around 20170402_163923_resized_0.jpg.af9fb794934dd75fe8910d23f135eba2.jpg

Here's another photo of the build showing the jaws articulation and the spreader spring. Both of the jaw arms are permanently welded onto a 3/8" pin that goes through the bottom base. In this photo you can see the "rotation" function limiter or tightening knob. (It's what the assembly is standing on as well as part of the knuckle. 20170401_190342_resized_0.jpg.8973f3b3f7d5a0b1625fb762b4242e70.jpg

The seat is a "recycled" le Pera Sportster gel "solo" that was given to me I own an FLH so.... and finally I had to replace the knob to something more user friendly, so I jumped on the lathe and popped the shiny knob you see here in the middle out. 20170507_090705_resized.jpg.9bed802d03192f012fd0c914a9a9d068.jpgthanks for letting me play! I also have some head knives I could post but I think this is plenty! 

On 12/29/2017 at 10:31 PM, rodneywt1180b said:

I think I have that same arbor in my shop waiting for me to put it to use. 

I tried using the smaller taller arbor and it needs dismantled and polished. So I went with the wider arbor. 

C1E2B018-26A5-444F-BC2C-CCDF1B5B9F92.jpeg

Concrete form tubes for leather storage  from Home Depot 

image.jpeg

Edited by Joseph1836