mishkin

Skiving machine - how to pick one?

I've decided to invest in a skiving machine. I'd love to know how to pick one, what features to look for, what makers are better in terms of durability and ease of maintenance, and finally where to buy one.

I primarily work on handbags, wallets and smaller accessories, generally with soft and medium tempered leather usually up to 5-6oz (2-2.4mm). I want to use the skiver for both edges and splitting leather for lining. I understand that a band splitter would be better for actual splitting, but it seems skiving machine would be more flexible and financially more attainable. I'm in the states. My budget is around $1500-2500, though I'm somewhat flexible.

I've done some research already, thanks to a lot of posts on this forum. So far it seems I should be looking at bottom feed machines where bell knife has a constant speed and presser foot controllers the feeder roller. And one that has vacuum suction. What other features would be useful for me?

Which machines have these functions?

I would appreciate any help in picking one. It's a fairly large investment for me and I want to do it right.

Sounds like you're on the right track. For leather in the 5-6oz range you'll definitely want a bottom feed skiver which is the most popular type for people doing handbags, wallets, accessories and shoes. Technically you can use it for splitting but you'd have to run it through several passes to split an entire surface which may become a bit arduous. 

You're looking at about $1200 to $1500 for this type of skiver, or closer to $2000 for one with a vacuum suction device. I highly recommend the vacuum as these machines can generate a fair amount of dust and dirt over time, besides the pieces that will be falling on your feet after each skive.

thanks,
Ron

MISHKIN,

There has been a lot of discussion about, "Should I buy a top and bottom feed, can I connect a separate motor to the knife, etc.

I have a Cowboy top and bottom feed, wouldn't bother ever buying one with only bottom feed after using this one.

I have a Servo on mine so I can run it as fast or slow as I wish. Ninety nine percent of the problems folks have with these machines is the fact they don't sharpen the bell knife good enough. The other problem is frustration. These machines will drive you to drink if you don't get your "Head"on straight, meaning your human head. LOL  OH YES! Proper adjustment. Five to six ounce leather is close to their thickest although I have done two passes on belt leather.

Don't get fooled into being able to skiver wide pieces of leather, it ain't gonna happen without one heck of a mess of fiddling .

I am not hot on selling my machine but I would sell it to the right person for $1400 plus shipping or you pick it up. The head alone will weigh in excess of 90 pounds.

I made a chute for the garbage to drop into a bucket or box, I don't have much dust but that could differ with various leathers.

Ferg

Edited by Ferg
add info

Ferg,

Are you still thinking of selling your bell skiver? 

Karen 

1 hour ago, MaryMac said:

Ferg,

Are you still thinking of selling your bell skiver? 

Karen 

Yes I am. Where are you located? Just generally, don't give me an address.

Ferg

2 hours ago, Ferg said:

Yes I am. Where are you located? Just generally, don't give me an address.

Ferg

IP address resolves to Red Bank New Jersey.

@MaryMac I would recommend all users add their location to their profile.  You will get better answers to your queries if they happen to be area related.  Might even make connections with someone just down the road.

Tom