JeannieH

New to leatherworking.Hobo bag I finally finished

Have you used any of that thread yet? Looks very interesting. That site has some other interesting tools and such also. Thanks for the link!

Jeff

48 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Have you used any of that thread yet? Looks very interesting. That site has some other interesting tools and such also. Thanks for the link!

Jeff

Yes It’s the only thread I use. I have the number 8 in ivory and black. Free shipping over 6 bucks I believe..maybe 7. This thread is beautiful. I posted pics of a bag I made. I will paste the link.

Oh this is the topic with the bag lol. So that bag pictured is all Vinymo thread in size 8.

I use 92 size thread is the #8 the same size didn't see a size chart on there site. The color choices they have are nice and it's priced pretty good.

No number 8 is smaller. You can order a sample book. Here is a pic of it.

99D6D838-111C-4C74-A9E0-C943548BD163.jpeg

F7B5EA5C-8705-481F-9452-C27980FD119D.jpeg

Here is the back. I think this has what you need.

24F96BE4-7266-4261-A8B7-BDE2E67C46F7.jpeg

The leather for my strap trim and tassels came from there. It’s the Haas Barenia.

10 minutes ago, JeannieH said:

No number 8 is smaller. You can order a sample book. Here is a pic of it.

99D6D838-111C-4C74-A9E0-C943548BD163.jpeg

F7B5EA5C-8705-481F-9452-C27980FD119D.jpeg

Thank you very much, I am pretty new with a sewing machine. Making my first tote bag out of leather and canvas, I mostly only use leather but have just bought a bunch of duck canvas.  I must have watched over 100hrs of sewing tutorials didn't realize how many things you needed to know for sewing regular fabric. From picking the right interfacing, zipper installation, different ways to use interfacing it's fun and a never ending learning process.  

Yes it is! If you can master getting the right tension you will do fine! It can make or break your day I tell you that lol! The Vinymo thread is polyester. It will work with everything. Before it I was using bonded nylon and bonded poly. I was never happy with how it felt and it didn’t look high end to me. I accidentally came across this place and tried a small spoil of the thread. Never looked back since lol! 

It is some times tricky sewing lighter material on the industrial machines I have found. If you can get the tension right you can see medium weight fabric with no problem.

Gorgeous bag.  Design, colors, everthing is right.  On your strap edges you say you used a beveler but the edges still seem fairly square to my eyes.  Also, did you burnish them at all?  I mean prior to coating?

2 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Gorgeous bag.  Design, colors, everthing is right.  On your strap edges you say you used a beveler but the edges still seem fairly square to my eyes.  Also, did you burnish them at all?  I mean prior to coating?

Thank you. I did use a beveler..but I haven’t mastered that lol. Maybe I didn’t take off enough? I’m still not sure how I’m supposed to hold it and how much I should take off. I did not burnish. I lightly sanded with 400...then painted..repeated..then after painting I heated an edge creaser and ran it over the edges..then repeated..now, I don’t know if that was right...but that’s what I did. I have a lot to learn about finishing edges!

Most all of us can stand improvement in our edges.  It takes time and a number of steps to get a good result and many of us lose patience and hurry through it.  Yours look as good as most and while a fileteuse may improve them, they are pretty good now.

Tugadude Thanks for that! I really want my bags to to be known for the fine details so the edges are something I am determined to master. I look at designer bags in the store and look all in them. I know people wonder what  in the world I am doing lol. Anyway, thanks for the critique and I am working on improving that bag. I want to make the strap that holds the o-ring adjustable for those who need the strap a tad longer..gonna add feet as well. I will post pics and hope you see it so you can give me your thoughts!

12 minutes ago, JeannieH said:

Tugadude Thanks for that! I really want my bags to to be known for the fine details so the edges are something I am determined to master. I look at designer bags in the store and look all in them. I know people wonder what  in the world I am doing lol. Anyway, thanks for the critique and I am working on improving that bag. I want to make the strap that holds the o-ring adjustable for those who need the strap a tad longer..gonna add feet as well. I will post pics and hope you see it so you can give me your thoughts!

Edges can be time consuming I used to struggle with them until I asked many of the small leather companys on instagram.  Look at Little King Goods edges they are perfect he had helped me out a ton. I since then bought a wooden edge finisher for my drill and a drum sander.

19 minutes ago, AdamPCain said:

Edges can be time consuming I used to struggle with them until I asked many of the small leather companys on instagram.  Look at Little King Goods edges they are perfect he had helped me out a ton. I since then bought a wooden edge finisher for my drill and a drum sander.

Ok I definitely will!

That is a fantastic design and execution.

9 minutes ago, plinkercases said:

9 minutes ago, plinkercases said:

Thank you so much. I have some things I want to tweak to make it better though. It’s my personal bag. I’m enjoying it. Feels good to have a bag no one else in the world has lol!

Let me just say WOW!  I'm beyond impressed.  If that is truly your third bag, then you are seriously talented and a quick study.  Your bags are going to be a smashing success.

Please considering making them in other colors, you know, for those of us who can't keep white clean.

Hello

Nice job on your bag The lining is cool with your colors.

I use a electric edger m3000 the irons crease the leather at the same time rounding the edge this works much better with the softer calf like Barenia it will also give you a flatter edge which will hold your edge paint better. 

Most of the time the outer bag if using a sewing machine is stitched with a Lr point needle for your angled stitch and the lining  with a L or point needle.

I have a facebook page Greg Allan Saddlery  there may be some pics of the zippers I f not if you like I can send some to you.

Greg B

8 hours ago, Aven said:

Let me just say WOW!  I'm beyond impressed.  If that is truly your third bag, then you are seriously talented and a quick study.  Your bags are going to be a smashing success.

Please considering making them in other colors, you know, for those of us who can't keep white clean.

I appreciate that! It is my third leather bag. I made the same style bag before but with cork fabric.  Ive made in total 6 bags..3 being leather. I will definitely be making these in different colors! The bag is actually in a beige like upholstery leather that is treated for being easy to clean. I got some red lipstick on it and it wiped off lol! I will make more from this leather too. Anyway, I’m working on some improvements so I will post a pic of the next one!

4 hours ago, valafar said:

Hello

Nice job on your bag The lining is cool with your colors.

I use a electric edger m3000 the irons crease the leather at the same time rounding the edge this works much better with the softer calf like Barenia it will also give you a flatter edge which will hold your edge paint better. 

Most of the time the outer bag if using a sewing machine is stitched with a Lr point needle for your angled stitch and the lining  with a L or point needle.

I have a facebook page Greg Allan Saddlery  there may be some pics of the zippers I f not if you like I can send some to you.

Greg B

Thank you! Which tip do you use that creases at the same time rounding? I will look for those type needles! Also check out your fab!

Hello

I use the f-2 tip mostly I have 2 one of the tips I grind down its easier if you have curves to follow.

If you have a sewing machine I can tell you what needle system to use with the size of thread.

Most fashion houses use the Amann threads 20, and 30 the thread lays very nice on the bag , you can order this thread in the states.

If you get stuck on something you can contact me my info is on my website Gregallansaddlery.com 

Greg B

6 minutes ago, valafar said:

Hello

I use the f-2 tip mostly I have 2 one of the tips I grind down its easier if you have curves to follow.

If you have a sewing machine I can tell you what needle system to use with the size of thread.

Most fashion houses use the Amann threads 20, and 30 the thread lays very nice on the bag , you can order this thread in the states.

If you get stuck on something you can contact me my info is on my website Gregallansaddlery.com 

Greg B

Ok! I have a 227r consew. I use Vinymo Mbt thread from Japan. Size 8. I am saving up for a fileteuse. I’m buying one from leathercraftpattern.com. It’s just like the regad but for 400 I will get tips included.  It uses the same tips as regad as well.  I will look up that Amann thread as well as your site now!

8 minutes ago, JeannieH said:

Ok! I have a 227r consew. I use Vinymo Mbt thread from Japan. Size 8. I am saving up for a fileteuse. I’m buying one from leathercraftpattern.com. It’s just like the regad but for 400 I will get tips included.  It uses the same tips as regad as well.  I will look up that Amann thread as well as your site now!

Your bags and saddles are wonderful! That is the skill level I want to get to! Gorgeous. What type of leather is that green bag? I think that would work well for my application.

Hello Jeannie

Your needle system for your machine is 135-17 and it looks like your thread range is probably 70 to 138  

when I make the bags I use 138 top 90 bottom unless you can see the stitch on both side then 138 138 or 90 90 

The needle sizes range from 140 to 160 for the 138- 90 combo , I prefer the140 needle or 22 size,  outside the bag you would use an Lr needle so the box would look something like this, 135-17  size 140 LR ,for the inner bag construction and lining a 135-17 size 140L or point needle. I don't know what your thread number 8 works out to be 120 or 110 ? but for a nice stitch a 138, 90 is a great combo.  On the Amann threads I use the serafil line. I might try you thread I'm always open to try something new.

The green bag !! I just sold that bag you have a great eye!! The leather I use for that bag is from the Remy Carriat Tannerie the skins are called lagun Hermes uses this leather for some of there bags.

For saddlery I use the Sellicalf and hunting these also make beautiful bags.  I import my leathers from Carriat , Chamont, and Haas tanneries these are my favorite tanneries. 

Hopes this helps 

Greg B

On 3/11/2018 at 11:43 PM, valafar said:

Hello Jeannie

Your needle system for your machine is 135-17 and it looks like your thread range is probably 70 to 138  

when I make the bags I use 138 top 90 bottom unless you can see the stitch on both side then 138 138 or 90 90 

The needle sizes range from 140 to 160 for the 138- 90 combo , I prefer the140 needle or 22 size,  outside the bag you would use an Lr needle so the box would look something like this, 135-17  size 140 LR ,for the inner bag construction and lining a 135-17 size 140L or point needle. I don't know what your thread number 8 works out to be 120 or 110 ? but for a nice stitch a 138, 90 is a great combo.  On the Amann threads I use the serafil line. I might try you thread I'm always open to try something new.

The green bag !! I just sold that bag you have a great eye!! The leather I use for that bag is from the Remy Carriat Tannerie the skins are called lagun Hermes uses this leather for some of there bags.

For saddlery I use the Sellicalf and hunting these also make beautiful bags.  I import my leathers from Carriat , Chamont, and Haas tanneries these are my favorite tanneries. 

Hopes this helps 

Greg B

Why do you use a bigger thread on top and smaller for the bobbin? I’m not sure what my number 8 is either. I attached a picture of the back of the sample book I bought for the thread I use. 

2E262D64-F4AC-4B80-9F42-FCC6CF622078.jpeg

Great looking bag!  My wife is a Dooney & Bourke fan.  When I first saw the bag my first thought was "My wife would like that."  Now I know why.  I think you nailed it.  I love the bleed knot detail on the straps too.

Rodney