Eslyn

So.. How do you get images like this?

il_570xN.1447508483_t931.jpg?version=0

I've been googling and googling trying to figure this out with no luck.  The best I can come up with is laser engraved, but from what I've seen those machines are pretty pricey, and most of the folks I see doing this are real small time or hobby and probably couldn't afford such an expensive machine to play around with as a business... Any ideas?  Or is there some cheap laser engraver that I missed that can do stuff that's like 12x24"?

There is no image to view, so one can't see what you are referring to in this post. But regarding laser engravers, some communities have "maker spaces" where laser cutters/engravers are available for use. It is a great way to learn how they work and see if one might belong in your future.

I'll attach the image to this post, since linking it doesn't seem to be favorable.

The closer makerspace to me is about an hour away, so no way that's really viable unfortunately.  It would probably be cheaper for me in the long run to buy a cheaper engraver and see if I can get it to work than run back and forth, between gas costs and teh cost of using the makerspace itself.

I've seen there are some pretty cheap engravers out there on ebay, for $100 or so, that can do a decent sized area.  So it might be something I'll have to look at more.  Ideally I'd love to be able to do larger images, but I know doing anything more than few inches wide is a pretty big, and expensive machine.  At least from what I saw.

imageproxy.jpg

9 hours ago, Eslyn said:

il_570xN.1447508483_t931.формат JPG?version=0

Я гуглил и гуглил, пытаясь понять это без удачи. Лучшее, что я могу придумать, - это лазерная гравировка, но из того, что я видел, эти машины довольно дорогие, и большинство людей, которых я вижу, это настоящее маленькое время или хобби, и, вероятно, не могли позволить себе такую дорогую машину, чтобы играть как бизнес... Любая идея? Или есть какой-то дешевый лазерный гравер, который я пропустил, который может делать что-то вроде 12x24"?

пирография.как и на дереве.

Translated with Google Translate:

pyrography as in the tree

Edited by Northmount
Translated

I‘d say this is never pyrographed. Instead I think ghis is stamped on the leather using a rubber stamp. There are  nice stamps available everywhere and the key is to use waterproof ink such as archival ink. Ian Atkinson has a video about rubber stamping leather on his channel, check it out.

I think this is laser cut. It looks too detailed to be a stamp. That would be a big stamp.

If you have this in your possession, does it lay totally flat on the leather or is it recessed?

As far as hobbyists goes..... There was a hobbyist a few months ago asking how to build a mobile shop in his trailer for when he was travelling. It had to have space for his big laser engraver, a work area, and his Corvette. He didn't want to leave his laser at home in his big full time leather hobby shop. So, hobbyists do come in all tax brackets. 

Some of those people who could be flying $20,000.00 model airplanes chose leather work instead.

I agree with Bikermutt07 it doesn't look like a stamp however I think it could have been done with a tattoo gun. Back in the day when all registered dogs were tattooed with a series of Kennel Club assigned letters and numbers, I would practice on a piece of pig skin. You had to be fast, steady and you needed to get clean, clear lines in a small space on the puppy. Easier doing big breeds but the toy breeds were always a challenge. 

These are definitely "printed" in some fashion.  They're not done by hand.  These makers produce the same image over and over again.  I don't have this in my possession, unfortunately.  Definitely not stamped, there's too much variety in the offerings of these markers for stamps like that, and a lot of them will put whatever you want on it, so it would have to be done on the fly.  If it was pyrography, it would have to be some type of automated thing for reproduction...Is that a thing?

Doing a quick search it is possible to transfer toner (something printed on a laser printer)  to leather.  Dharma trading has some materials for transferring inkjet prints to fabric.  Hmm, run a piece of leather through the laser printer on a manual bypass path......

But there are also some large, intricate rubber stamps.  Trying to get a clean image on any of these techniques would be a challenge.

Could also be digitally printed onto the leather 

Far as I can tell a cnc laser is a form of repeatable pyrography. 

It is ink.  Doesn't have the look of pyrography to my eye.  I'll go with some form of printing.

In the UK and I guess elsewhere you can get "WOW" paper that is primary used for printing onto T Shirts and the like basically you draw your logo using Corel draw or similar then print onto special WOW paper then heat press onto the garment with no weeding (removing bits not wanted. you can see the process here on a video

http://www.themagictouch.co.uk/acatalog/WoW_Professional.html

When it was laser-printed or pyrographed you‘d see it on the leather surface, it‘ll look like it was burned which isn‘t the case here. I did stamping with ink on leather as well and it looks exactly like this. Could be printed as the edges are too flawless to be hand stamped. Look here

https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/484191765/notebook-add-on-rubber-stamping?ref=shop_home_active_20

This is also hand stamped with a single stamp and ink. See how its done here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-N5_F75QbD8

Edited by charon

On 4/20/2018 at 7:42 PM, baroness said:

Doing a quick search it is possible to transfer toner (something printed on a laser printer)  to leather.  Dharma trading has some materials for transferring inkjet prints to fabric.  Hmm, run a piece of leather through the laser printer on a manual bypass path......

But there are also some large, intricate rubber stamps.  Trying to get a clean image on any of these techniques would be a challenge.

Absolutely! It's called acetone and I use it all the time to transfer designs for carving. Reverse the image you intend to transfer and print on standard laser paper or try tracing paper. Tape the paper to the leather and then saturate the paper using acetone and a wool dauber. Next use a bone or other type of creaser and rub the toner into the leather. Carefully remove the paper and presto!

Bob

Of course I cannot find the piece of white Deer Skin I transferred a laser image to.

I cheat a little. I have a 16" x 20" pressure plus heated platen press.

I can take a piece of good quality copy paper intended for laser printing, print the copy of whatever I wish, normally a Black Line drawing, lay it on the piece of leather. I set the temperature on my press and lay the copy over leather in the press. Lower the top for about 20 to 30 seconds. Then transfer the piece of leather to a small oven set at 300 degrees. Leave for 30 to 45 seconds. When I remove from the oven the image is permanent on the leather.

I have transferred black line images to brass then framed them.

BTW: Unless you have extra Laser Printers you can use for a replacement, don't try to print a piece of leather on the pass through.

Ferg

Edited by Ferg

54 minutes ago, Ferg said:

Of course I cannot find the piece of white Deer Skin I transferred a laser image to.

I cheat a little. I have a 16" x 20" pressure plus heated platen press.

I can take a piece of good quality copy paper intended for laser printing, print the copy of whatever I wish, normally a Black Line drawing, lay it on the piece of leather. I set the temperature on my press and lay the copy over leather in the press. Lower the top for about 20 to 30 seconds. Then transfer the piece of leather to a small oven set at 300 degrees. Leave for 30 to 45 seconds. When I remove from the oven the image is permanent on the leather.

I have transferred black line images to brass then framed them.

BTW: Unless you have extra Laser Printers you can use for a replacement, don't try to print a piece of leather on the pass through.

Ferg

I also have a 16 x 20 press and do the same,  but didn't mention it because it requires a 16 x 20 press! I don't use the final setting step because I am concerned about cooing the leather. Off topic, but have you tried HeatnnBond for attaching linings?

I have attached a transfer to veg tan made with acetone. That was a test for the cup mades for a sushi bar.Sushi-Cup.thumb.jpg.90f267640bc932e4d31e697a7beb1ff1.jpg

Bob

Laser-to-leather-transfer.jpg

Edited by BDAZ

No, I haven't tried the Heat-n-Bond. You have to be very careful the heat in the oven isn't too hot and you don't leave it very long. It definitely will dry the leather and burn it some times.

I am working on the pattern for a Tote. I want to make the lining just as the outside of the Tote only a tad smaller

and only connect it around the top edge under the rolled edge.

I have always attached the lining completely with glue.

Ferg

14 minutes ago, Ferg said:

No, I haven't tried the Heat-n-Bond. You have to be very careful the heat in the oven isn't too hot and you don't leave it very long. It definitely will dry the leather and burn it some times.

I am working on the pattern for a Tote. I want to make the lining just as the outside of the Tote only a tad smaller

and only connect it around the top edge under the rolled edge.

I have always attached the lining completely with glue.

Ferg

Check out this thread. Best thing since sliced bread! You can bay small rolls at Walmart and larger ones through Amazon. Of course it doesn't have to be wet formed but wet forming after bonding has no effect on the bond.