Hello All,

This is came from a template provided by Tboyce. I downloaded the revised version of the biker wallet, went to FedEx office to get it printed. I had them put it on 24 in X 36 in paper though there was quite a bit of excess paper at the bottom. I don't know what paper sizes they have though so maybe that's the only size to print on. I really like the template! The only issue I really ran into was in the card slots. The cards are really hard to push in and pull out, but I really think this is an issue with the waxed polyester thread I'm using from Tandy Leather. It might be a little to thick in diameter and a little too waxed. I've had a similar experience with other wallets I've made. So I would suggest to go with a non waxed or perhaps a thinner diameter thread. I've been wanting to try a new thread but haven't found a good cheaper price tag. I want to try Ritza Tiger thread but that's pretty pricey for me, so if anyone has a suggestion to try out I'd love to hear it!

Also, I always have trouble with beveling thinner weight leathers. Does anyone have a tip or trick to do get a nice clean bevel? I've tried holding it down with a ruler but it still seems to push the leather at times. Yes I probably need to sharpen it better and I'm trying but I still haven't quite figured out sharpening anything well enough. Yes I know this is the show off section but I am always open to critiques to help me improve my skills, so if you see something feel free to say it, please! 

Anyways here is my version of this wallet:

large.IMG_6331.JPG.126bf37b7b97954fb963c7fd7468c9d4.JPGlarge.IMG_6332.JPG.5419dada8dfd0be573c7237f2182ddf3.JPGlarge.IMG_6335.JPG.49520cf690d93f94e7dfc50819f1bb3e.JPGlarge.IMG_6333.JPG.dd060320a0cda104c27dbd4c7e809417.JPG

Nice! That's better than my first wallet by far!

I am new to leather working and haven't done much hand stitching.  But I really like the variation in color in your dye job. I think that looks great compared to a solid color. Did you use an airbrush to achieve the multi-color? Great job!

2 hours ago, JD62 said:

Nice! That's better than my first wallet by far!

Thanks, it's not my first wallet over all just my first biker wallet. :)

2 hours ago, TomWisc said:

I am new to leather working and haven't done much hand stitching.  But I really like the variation in color in your dye job. I think that looks great compared to a solid color. Did you use an airbrush to achieve the multi-color? Great job!

I've mastered the technique of not being very good with a wool dauber! Hahahahaha! I agree with you that I am not the biggest fan of solid/even dye jobs. I like my pieces to have multiple areas that draw the eye, almost like abstract art. I do try to make it fairly even, but honestly it just comes out that way because I run the dauber until it runs out, load it up with more and try to start where it is fairly even in tone. Doesn't really work if I'm going for an even tone, but honestly I like the look of uneveness. :) 

your stitches look good. The generic thread is pretty thick I use either 1.0 or 0.8 mm tiger thread even the 1.0 is much thinner than the tandy thread. I'm not sure what else is out there for thread.

For beveling thin edges I try to keep my beveler more vertical than coming at it from a 45, you can also try moistening your edge before beveling. I use a #1 beveler as well on anything under4/5.

As for your cards sticking it's cause the pockets are too small. Maybe your thread size or your pattern is a tad too small you should have a 1/16th to 1/8th in on either side of your cards.

Edited by Fire88

23 hours ago, Fire88 said:

your stitches look good. The generic thread is pretty thick I use either 1.0 or 0.8 mm tiger thread even the 1.0 is much thinner than the tandy thread. I'm not sure what else is out there for thread.

For beveling thin edges I try to keep my beveler more vertical than coming at it from a 45, you can also try moistening your edge before beveling. I use a #1 beveler as well on anything under4/5.

As for your cards sticking it's cause the pockets are too small. Maybe your thread size or your pattern is a tad too small you should have a 1/16th to 1/8th in on either side of your cards.

Thank you Fire88! I didn't even know they made a #1 beveler, I'll have to pick one up. On paper the template has 1/8" on either side of the card so I think that it is the thread. I bought some thinner thread from Tandy. I wanted to try tiger thread but it's rather expensive for a small timer like me. I'm thinking I'll pick up a small spool and try it out to see if I like it. I think I need to invest in some better diamond chisels, or maybe even try pricking irons and using an awl. I don't use my awl as much because I hate how it pushes the second layer away from the first.... maybe I need to sharpen my awl? Do you sharpen awls? .... hmmmm I need to learn more about awls! hahahaha 

Buy Ritza from Rocky Mountain Leather or Egyptian Leather on Etsy. It works out to .03 cents a yard. On full spools.

Edited by Mattsbagger

2 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

Buy Ritza from Rocky Mountain Leather or Egyptian Leather on Etsy. It works out to .03 cents a yard. On full spools.

I'll give it a look! Thanks! 

I bought a bunch of the Ritza knock off thread and it is quite good too. It isn't Ritza but it is still good, strong, and bright. You know how Ritza is almost hard? This isn't like that but similar in most other respects.

1 minute ago, battlemunky said:

I bought a bunch of the Ritza knock off thread and it is quite good too. It isn't Ritza but it is still good, strong, and bright. You know how Ritza is almost hard? This isn't like that but similar in most other respects.

I've only used Tandy because it's quicker/easier/cheaper for me to get so I know nothing of Ritza. I'm at the point in my crafting that I'm ready to branch out and try some new stuff to find what I like better. What is the knock off brand? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/260M-210D-1MM-Leather-Sewing-Waxed-Wax-Thread-Hand-Stitching-Cord-Craft-DIY-/172852478946?var=&hash=item283ecf83e2

Above is similar to what I bought. Being ebay, the auction ended so I had to find a "similar" auction but it looks the same to me and has similar wording.

Here is the Ritza link I bought from on Amazon (Rocky Mtn Leather Supply):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5NHCJZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want @Chief Filipino, PM me your address and I'll send you some of the Ritza and some of the knock off so you can see the difference and help guide your decision making.

Edited by battlemunky

On 6/25/2018 at 2:33 PM, battlemunky said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/260M-210D-1MM-Leather-Sewing-Waxed-Wax-Thread-Hand-Stitching-Cord-Craft-DIY-/172852478946?var=&hash=item283ecf83e2

Above is similar to what I bought. Being ebay, the auction ended so I had to find a "similar" auction but it looks the same to me and has similar wording.

Here is the Ritza link I bought from on Amazon (Rocky Mtn Leather Supply):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5NHCJZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want @Chief Filipino, PM me your address and I'll send you some of the Ritza and some of the knock off so you can see the difference and help guide your decision making.

Thank you for the info and the offer. I think that I will use up the thread that I have and as I get near to the end I'll try out these two options. Getting a small spool of Ritza isn't expensive so thank you for your offer but I'll pick up one sometime in the near future. 

Gotcha dude, if you change your mind, let me know and I can pass you some samples. That knock off stuff is pretty similar but it is different.