chrisash

Service & Repair manual Singer 29

I would assume that at some time Singer would have produced a more detailed manual for repair meant to work on the vast number of Singer 29k's rather than just the parts manual and blown up diagram of the location of the parts

Also whatever happened to all the original blueprints of all singer machines, things like that are often collected  and stored in a museum somewhere for the future, is there a singer museum somewhere that holds all the old designs

Have you seen this manual?http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/29K70.pdf

Back when these machines were made Singer had repair techs that would come out to repair machines.They wanted to keep them working & making $$ for them so they rarely made repair manuals for that reason.

Thanks Bob, yes i had that one, I have contacted Singer Museum in Scotland to see what archives they have and will post back when i get some info. It would seem strange if all the technical data was destroyed with such a large factory in the UK, normally someone gobbles it up for the future

29K´s are the freakin easiest machines to repair / restore. You find almost everything you need here in the forum (regarding technical information). Hundreds of folks have restored them. It just depends on what subclass you have - and there have been several from 29K1 to 29K173. Some parts are still available but depends on the subclass you have. Most parts for the earlier subclasses are obsolete / out of stock for decades already but for the later subclasses you can get after market parts. A few parts even fit for all 29K models or you can modify them to fit.

However - if you get a response I´m sure a lot of people would be very interested in what you get. :)

To my knowledge, Singer never produced a service manual for the 29K machines.  Believe, I have looked for one for almost 40 years.  Adler did produce one for the 30-10. 50, 70.  A lot of that info can be used on the singers.

glenn

On 8/25/2018 at 4:02 AM, chrisash said:

Also whatever happened to all the original blueprints of all singer machines

A couple of factory fires and the occasional world war is what happened, in a nutshell.

Edited by Uwe

I need to change the thread tension plates on my 29K 15 but I can't work out how the plate with the holes doesn't seem to want lift up high enough to get the plates out

What am I missing?

8 hours ago, archerydude said:

I need to change the thread tension plates on my 29K 15 but I can't work out how the plate with the holes doesn't seem to want lift up high enough to get the plates out

What am I missing?

You may have to remove the foot, needle clamp and stitch regulator, unscrew the revolving head section, and pull it off the machine. leaving the needle bar attached to the take-up thread control arm. That should let you remove anything that's in the way of getting the top tension disks off. Before reassembling, oil the needle bar and the parts inside the revolving head. This would also be a good time to replace the feed motion bell crank if you are getting less than 5 stitches per inch into 6 or 7 ounces of shoe upper leather.

you either have to take off the head and disassemble it or - in come cases - there sometimes is a hole on the underside of the bulge where the threaded post sits in and you can hammer it out from the underside

Thanks, mine has a hole underneath the bulge I'll try that first

I have 2 29K's a 29K15 and a 29K60 I've been trying to find out roughly how old they are is there a link to an an archive or some thing that tells you what years the different models were produced from? 

Thanks, I'll take a look

now I'm confused :unsure:

my 29K15 ser. no. is R1022565 yet the column for machine class says it' a 15K

the 29K60 no. BC673373 yet the column tells me it's a 15 

is it possible they were made in 1902 and 1904 I thought they were much younger

look again - on the 29K15 you probably missed a digit and the BC is rather an EC ;)

Edited by Constabulary

your correct about the BC it's an EC but there's no mistaking the 29K15  I gently removed the paint with a scalpel it's as clear as daylight

I thought it showed the K15 to be one of 9000 29's made in July/December 1903.

Bert.

R 1022565 - you looked too far up on the list this is a 7 digit number not 6 digit (w/o prefix) - go further down in the list ;)

:oops:Isee now makes her about 1903 I didn't think she could be that old

Hello

I'm trying to find an instruction and service manual for my Singer 29k60 

I've tried the links posted previously on here and none of them work,

they keep coming up with error 

can someone help me to find them please ?

Many thanks 

Tina 

29K60 really like the 29K72 which replaced it.  A few parts are different but that is all.

glenn

I have a 29-2 singer patcher. I have it functioning but the needle won’t pick up the bobbin bottom thread. Can anyone give me a direction to start? 

@Ronsruger

Make sure you are using either a System 29x3 or x4, or a System 135x16 or x17 needle and have the rib on the left and small cutout above the eye on the right.

If you are using one of these needle systems and the needle is facing as I described, the shuttle may be out of time. Your machine is probably from the late 1800s or very early 1900s and I'm not sure if the hook timing can be adjusted via an eccentric screw under the base like is is on later models. If so, there will be a hole in the base for a screwdriver. There would be a lock nut on the back of the cranks that needs to be loosened before you can turn the eccentric screw. Lock it back down after adjusting for the best timing. If the rod going to the shuttle isn't adjustable, one of the gears under the shuttle would have to be rotated in the direction needed to bring the tip of the hook inline with the needle, above the eye, after it comes up from bottom dead center and halts momentarily. The machine should preferably be upside down to keep the gears from falling out when the bottom gear cover is removed.

I have uploaded the only manual I have that covers the older patchers. It refers to sub-models with the letter K, like 29k2, but also applies to models with a dash, like your 29-2. I hope this helps.

29K1 TO K4,K10 TO K18,K12 TO K23,K30 TO K33.pdf

I rotated the need just a smidge and lowered 1/16”  and it started working. The needle I’m using is a 130/705H and it is a 110/18 maybe that’s my other problem because it doesn’t run consistently 

you need needle system 29x3 or 135x17.

glenn