justingschneider

refurbished sewing machine

Nice job, you luck sod

Did that ever clean up nice! 

My only lucky find like that had nothing to do with leather or sewing. I scored one of the most desirable Coleman lanterns while walking my dog on trash night. It was sitting in the top of a can, and I decided to take it home with me. Canadian C.P.R. kerosene lantern - they are worth quite a few bucks on E-bay!! :D

Nice find, that old japanning is very tough and it's often there under decades of schmoo. I can't find much information online about the 119-2, looks like a class 17 but with a walking foot. Is that right?

yes walking foot it was discontinued in the 50's and they started making the 153's. was made for leather briefcases. I put a servo motor on it and put a small 2" pulley on the motor and a 6" pulley on the machine. slowed it way down. trying different size thread on it now. Can take needles up to #25. Now i just need to learn how to sew a straight line. This one was from 1939. 

Great find,

It's the cyl arm version of a 78 class Singer.

Great job,looks real nice !!

Edited by CowboyBob

cowboy bob will the presser feet from any of your machines work on this machine? I'm new to this so i don't know if they are interchangeable or not. Is there a foot that allows you to see the needle? Mine goes through a hole in the foot and makes it hard to see where I'm sewing. Or is this just something you have to learn how to do? 

Wow so the found it in a barn dream remains alive for all of us! Nice cleanup job.

I think what yoi are after is a swing down (or otherwise attached) sewing guide.

Sure Bob can help.

A great find and a great job of getting it running again.

I just realized that rotten old board it was sitting on was the original stand.  Did you fix the original stand or just start over with a different one?  Either way, great job!   I do like the cut out under the arm.  It looks like a very useful feature for that machine.

I dremeled a slot in my foot (you know THAT hurt!) so I could see the line to the needle. Sand smooth so thread doesn't snag. 

Having said that, I find that when I don't get the tensions just right, there is a slight loop that can...and occasionally does, loop over the foot on the right side as I'm looking at it. I think it's only when I am trying to adjust the distance to a corner or point in the stitch line. I know I'm likely making my move to adjust in the wrong point in the travel of the universe.

Oh, and on that line to the stitching, I'd thought that one of those laser line things would be great, but I did some research and the line is at least 1/8" wide, maybe more. I don't have that kind of slop built into my stuff. When I was still working for a living, in the dental radiography business, the laser lines were adjustable for distance, and from hairline wide to whatever you wanted. Of course, the price was WAY up there!

Jeff

Edited by alpha2