Joelle

Sewing machine question

Need to see if anyone familiar with a Singer sewing machine model 16U288. I recieved this machine when my mom passed away. I have used the machine very little and have not been able to figure out if this machine has the capability to back stitch. My mother used it for years in her upholstery business. The manual does not give any direction for back stitching. I am getting all supplies ready to make patio curtains using canvas drop cloths and vinyl. Can anyone give me assistance on how to back stitch? 

G'Day,

I had a quick look around, and, just looking at this pic , I thinks it does, see the lever on the right ? :

https://auctions.afimg.jp/item_data/image/20171010/yahoo/r/r211605064.1.jpg

However, I also found this:

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/16U288.pdf

It makes no mention of reverse.

And this: http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/webdoc1/singer/16u.htm 

once again, no mention of reverse ? 

Hope this sorta helps,

HS 

The way I read the manuals is the small level is a thumb nut that you move to regulate the stitch length only. The easy way to check is to place some material under the foot, slacken the thumb nut and then push it all the way to the top. Then turn the wheel towards yourself. If the material moves away from you it is just sewing then move the thumb nut to the very bottom, if the material again moves away from you then it doesn't have reverse and the thumb nut / level is just for stitch length.

kgg

Hi @Joelle, I've not used that particular machine but the lever to the right is the stitch length regulator. I was able to pull the following information off this page: http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/webdoc1/singer/16u.htm

MODEL 16U288 WITH
SHORT-BEAK OSCILLATING SHUTTLE HOOK AND LARGE CAPACITY BOBBIN

CHARACTERISTICS
SINGLE NEEDLE 
DROP FEED
ALTERNATING PRESSER FEET 
LOCKSTITCH 
FLATBED

APPLICATIONS
Binding, cording, piping, and general stitching on cloth, leather, canvas, etc.
Designed for sewing applications where a combination of leather and canvas, cloth and leather, and cloth, leather, and canvas is required. The independently adjusted upper and under feed mechanism permits the upper and lower plies of material to be fed faster or slower as required.

FEATURES
Independently adjustable under and upper feed mechanisms
Alternating presser feet 
Cam operated thread take-up
Presser foot lift -- hand or foot operated 

SPECIFICATIONS
Speed, Max. (S.P.M.)  1400
Clearance Under Foot 9/32" (7.1 mm) 
Bed Size 7" x 18-3/4" (178 mm x 476 mm) 
Needle Bar Stroke 1.43" (36.3 mm) 
Work Space 10-1/2" (267mm)
Machine Pulley Diameter 3.6" (91.4mm)
V-belt 3/8" (9.5mm) 
Stitch Length, Max. 5-1/3 s.p.i. (4.8 mm) 
Stitch Type 301 
Needle System 3861, 16x63, 16x64
Needle Sizes from 12 to 25

So no reverse feature, but looks like a handy machine for your purpose. If you want to lock the ends of your seams without having to turn the workpiece 180 degrees there is a technique commonly used in upholstery where you sew to the end of the seam, then resew the last 3 stitches of the seam. To do this you'll have to put the machine at top dead centre (when the takeup arm is at its highest point) and lift the presser foot. Pull the workpiece towards you so the needle is lined up 3 stitches back and drop the foot, then sew. It's not quite as neat as a triple-sewn backtack but works fine. (You can do this at the start of a seam too, but I'm sure you can figure out how!)

You can also leave long tails and tie the thread off.  Hide the knot either on the back side or between the layers.

3 hours ago, rodneywt1180b said:

You can also leave long tails and tie the thread off.  Hide the knot either on the back side or between the layers.

You can also leave the starting and ending tails long and saddle stitch the ends of the first and last 3 holes....

Gary

17 minutes ago, garypl said:

You can also leave the starting and ending tails long and saddle stitch the ends of the first and last 3 holes....

Gary

I like that idea, thanks Gary.

34 minutes ago, garypl said:

Gary

Gary's way is better.