Jump to content
DJole

Sword Scabbard hanger

Recommended Posts

I have always wanted a laced sword scabbard, but the amount of work (and wood working experience) required to create a scabbard is daunting. 
I have a sword, but it already has a scabbard, so  what to do?
Finally, I got a brainstorm -- I'll just make a sleeve which goes AROUND the existing scabbard, and that'll do the trick!

So here's the original tooled design, a key-work panel on the sleeve, with Fiebing HiLighter (modified slightly from the original design, taken from a church in Wales):

Scabbard design

Geometrics are a pain...but to get it right, go SLOWLY with the swivel knife, and use a straight edge wherever possible. 

Here's a mock-up of what it will look like, when all done:

5bb2da68b99a4_Hanger1.jpg.b8a704bc8798cf30c45f9316bb231cb5.jpg

All that intricate lacing...it's painstaking work -- you can't really cut the slits until you have the belt strips ready to mock it up.  The triangular piece to the bottom of the picture is a type of "buckle." The other strap (top center) will end in two strips, which will tie through the holes in the "buckle." It's period -- some medieval art features scabbards done that way. I also decided to cut a 'window' in the wide middle strap to hide less of the nice tooling. 

 

Here's the back -- I'm using a baseball stitch to butt-stitch the pieces together, using flat lacing.  I'd forgotten how tedious lacing can be; you really have to pay attention to avoid twisting the lace, or getting the pattern wrong (only had to undo two stitches so far!)

5bb2daf43d56a_Hanger1back.jpg.00515d89229aa94e957dbd65cc004816.jpg

Here you can see the interlaced straps, linked through each other. 

I didn't realize it, but the baseball stitching doesn't close the edges as closely as other stitches, so I think the hanger might be a bit loose on the scabbard itself. However, I can glue a 'shim' of thin leather inside the hanger sleeve, and that should snug it right down. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inventive way to solve a problem, and a very nice job. I like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completed it today.
Here are all the straps, sewn and mounted:

StrapsDetails.jpg.1e7bd728c04a65fb71dbe7bb4bdf336a.jpg

I have the ties installed -- it kind of looks like a squid here. I modified the design somewhat --instead of just splitting the strap in two, I put on a piece of veg-tan and split that instead. 
And instead of two, I decided that using four strips made for a stronger bond, and a better looking knot. So I wrapped the ends together with wire, not only to lock them together but as a bit of decoration. 
I made a flat knot where the scabbard straps cross (bottom left) which looks nice and neat. 

TiedUp.thumb.jpg.0d47310db34eb054f7ba937639ef0509.jpg

And here's what it looks like all tied up, hanging from a chair back.  I am satisfied with it...I got to practice more leather skills and end up with something I've wanted for a long time. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really cool, way to make it work with existing materials man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gorgeous!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah those historically correct baldric/frog connections to swords just shows you what can be done by true craftsmen of the old world. Nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...