lyricsonwings

How to avoid presser foot marks?

Hello everyone, I just spent a few thousand dollars on a new heavyweight leather sewing machine, and I cannot seem to not get presser foot marks on the leather, especially the vege-tan leather. I understand that vege-tan leathers are easily marked, but there's no way for me to avoid using vege-tan leathers in my work. Even when I use waxy leathers, it's still getting marked. I tried releasing the foot pressure as much as possible, and also buffed out the bottom of the foot, but it only helped little. Based on some other's vege-tan works I've seen--without any presser foot marks--I cannot help but to think that there's some secrete method or super sewing machine out there. Any wisdom or advice? Thank you so much.

I have heard of people using a dummy layer on top of their projects. I haven't tried it myself. 

Sorry I don't have more to offer.

I adjusted the tension on my foot until it barely touched the leather and added tension until it left a faint mark.  Then I backed off a bit and polished the foot.  Mine doesn't leave marks and it feeds fine.

I put a layer of veg tan over my steel hammer and it stops any marks when you use it for glueing, maybe glue a piece of leather to the foot will work the same way as leather to leather seems to give good friction

I sometimes use a large H/D ring 5mm  on flat leather, belts etc. , and a H/D square ring on the  nooks  and crannys   on some leather knife/ tool cases,   and gently rub over the affected areas, that does help....with a bit of elbow grease.  I have a 441 clone, and I'm  not too keen to back off the foot pressure too much in case it leaves a  'bullet ' hole in my roof,    Ha !! 

HS 

Could you send a picture of the marks and the feet that you are using? I have heard that the big Cowboy and 441 type walking foot machines will mark the top side of soft veg tan type leather which surprised me. But seemingly this will happen on some types of leather. I saw someone sewing a belt and leaving a lot of small toe marks all the way along the leather with one of the large walking foot machines. One possible solution might be to use a wider foot??

@lyricsonwings, I don't have a 441 type machine but I have or have had about a dozen different industrial sewing machines and every single one of then marked the leather at some point. Some mark the leather more or less or differently than others. Getting the right combination of particular leather, thread, needle, thread lube, thread tension, presser foot choice, presser foot pressure, foot lift, planetary alignment, tongue angle, wearing your lucky boxer shorts and any other thing you like to think of can reduce or even eliminate machine marks.

However what works best for me is to adjust the machine until it marks the leather as little as possible while keeping even feed and tension and remove the marks after I'm done sewing. Unless they are very deep or the leather very easily damaged most machine marks can be rubbed out with a bone folder, rub stick or spoon, or they can be hammered out. (This also helps the appearance of the stitches if not already totally even.)

G'Day,

This is very similar,  but I don't leave teeth marks on the bottom. 

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/images/2500-stitches-2.jpg

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/images/2500-stitches-1.jpg

these pics came from here: 

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/cb2500.html 

Theres info in the 6th paragraph. 

I must have my tension adjusted just right  ,  but I also use a stirrup/ holster plate 

HS

Edited by Handstitched