YinTx

Working hard this week... wish me luck!

Progress!

Huzzahhh!

19 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Progress!

Hoy, that it was.  Starting from zero sales though wasn't hard to beat!

14 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Huzzahhh!

Wasn't exactly jumping for joy, but was happy to have not lost money on the deal!  Here's to better luck next go round, when every one isn't out huntin... instead of shoppin for my stuff!

I was happy with the interest expressed in my pieces, although not a single person picked up a rifle sling, which was the whole intent behind attending a gun show.... with *rifle slings*!  Most everything else was admired, even the simple leather covers, tho they didn't sell.  I'll try a couple more venues that have higher traffic counts and different demographics before I decide whether or not to continue down this path.

YinTx

Are you doing any internet sales too?  With Thanksgiving and Black Friday just around the corner it might be a thought.

7 hours ago, rodneywt1180b said:

Are you doing any internet sales too?  With Thanksgiving and Black Friday just around the corner it might be a thought.

I did internet sales some time ago in Etsy, but only sold a very few items, not enough to justify continuing, especially when they wanted my bank acct info etc. Plus, I have a several month backlog - mostly because I am Sloooooowwwwww.... - so I haven't had a great need for additional sales.  But I did want to try a new venue because I'd like to make more than purses and wallets for sale, and I thought it'd be nice to make a small run of items instead of one at a time, to try to be less slow!  It worked, I made a lot more items in a shorter time, but not a one of them sold.  Just some other items I had on hand.

YinTx

On 11/3/2018 at 8:09 PM, Clintock said:

Yin your stuff looks good. Sometimes folks don’t realize what it takes and what leather products costs. They think a good wallet will be 10 or 15 bucks. If I were you I wouldn’t worry it about too much. Keep your head high. You do some amazing work!

I think this statement nails it. I think many folks believe this but there are still plenty of folks out there who look for quality hand crafted items.

Yin, all of your items look fantastic but I'm not so sure the average person buys "Fantastic," as most are just too cheap and only want "Cheap."

My observations come from 25 years of retail sales in different businesses and although new to this Leather endeavor, I still see it: "I don't want to spend a lot of money!" Before they even know the price:)

We all tend to over do it with our fancy style, tooling, Antiquing, beautiful stitching and all of that art work and physical effort naturally makes us think that our stuff is worth a lot because no one knows how labor intensive these creations are and good hide, fittings and finishes are expensive too.

I have made several very nice laptop computer cases and believe me, it's a major job, due to the innate drive to make them a 'work of art,'

I was at a best buy not long ago with my Family and saw an entire lineup of very nice and feature packed computer carrying cases in beautiful and supple leather and very nicely made.-------The nicest and most expensive one, was $79.99! If I MADE something that looked that good I would want $300 for it!

A very Famous person that a lot of us know that sells sewing machines told me that there is no money in CUSTOM (Labor intensive) products because very few people will buy them and retailers won't buy them in quantity from us at a price that they can't sell them for quickly. 

Make the most generic holster you can, not fancy at all, in quantity and you will sell lots of them if the price is low enough for the market.They can be produced on an assembly line basis and done quickly.

Sam:)

Ick.

All very true ComputerDoctor but what's the fun in that?

There are people out there who will pay for custom items. You may have to look a bit harder to find them, but they are there.

YinTx I went back and looked at your table.  I didn't see any business cards or portfolios of past work.  Those two things can result in sales after the show.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:09 PM, Clintock said:

Yin your stuff looks good. Sometimes folks don’t realize what it takes and what leather products costs. They think a good wallet will be 10 or 15 bucks. If I were you I wouldn’t worry it about too much. Keep your head high. You do some amazing work!

This is true, there were more than a few panicked looks as they found the prices on stuff and gingerly handed things back!  Always there was the "wow, this stuff is really nice!" followed by the "oof" on the tag.  I understand it, been there done that, kinda expected it.  But still thought $75 for a tooled rifle strap was cheap!

On 11/3/2018 at 10:33 PM, Rockoboy said:

The average person has no idea of the difference between a mass produced leather item from China and a handmade leather item from your workshop.

Your items are well worth the price point you have described, but 40 people per day? That is not many. The odds of one person in 40 looking to buy quality leather goods is a pretty remote possibility. You need a market with 80 - 100 people per hour checking out your quality goods.

Higher traffic count would definitely been helpful.  Had one vendor that understood leather work come up to me and let me know my stuff was top notch and worth the price, even if others didn't know that.

YinTx

On 11/8/2018 at 8:41 PM, ComputerDoctor said:

Yin, all of your items look fantastic but I'm not so sure the average person buys "Fantastic," as most are just too cheap and only want "Cheap."

A very Famous person that a lot of us know that sells sewing machines told me that there is no money in CUSTOM (Labor intensive) products because very few people will buy them and retailers won't buy them in quantity from us at a price that they can't sell them for quickly. 

Make the most generic holster you can, not fancy at all, in quantity and you will sell lots of them if the price is low enough for the market.They can be produced on an assembly line basis and done quickly.

Sam:)

Sam,

Probably accurate statements.  I have debated having two lines:  one as affordable as possible, one as nice (read, $$) as possible.  Still haven't decided.  Part of my challenge is I just can't put a belt or any other item for that matter out that hasn't been finished to the best of my abilities, I don't like the flaw in it.

I also don't think I want to be a mass quantity producer just right now.  I suppose I could, I am just not feeling it right yet.  Maybe in time.

6 hours ago, rodneywt1180b said:

All very true ComputerDoctor but what's the fun in that?

There are people out there who will pay for custom items. You may have to look a bit harder to find them, but they are there.

YinTx I went back and looked at your table.  I didn't see any business cards or portfolios of past work.  Those two things can result in sales after the show.

I only had a matter of days to prep for this, only enough to make the wallets and the rifle straps, then put together some of my previous made items.  This is the fastest I have ever made anything!  I did hand write a lot of "information cards" that were all handed out.  Business cards are in the making, I believe you are right on that one, and cheap to have done.

YinTx

Your work is very nice Yin, hope you have better luck next time. I've always been invited to craft fairs by friends and I have been bashful about it(I have a full time job also which prevents me to make much stuff). I finally got convinced and on Dec 1 I'm going to participate at a high school art fest/ fund raiser. I ordered a paypal card swiper and hope it helps some. Now I have to get off my butt and make some card wallets misc. items :).

Eddie Q,

Best of luck to you!  I'm sure the card swiper will help out some.  Not much time before Dec. 1!  I'll be trying my hand again on Dec. 2 I think.

Enjoy a green chile cheeseburger for me, they don't make 'em here!

YinTx

Nice, we're big time fans of green chile. In fact, I,m fixing to make some thanksgiving green chile turkey tamales for my boys n I ;) !! Happy Holidays !!

6 hours ago, Eddie Q said:

Nice, we're big time fans of green chile. In fact, I,m fixing to make some thanksgiving green chile turkey tamales for my boys n I ;) !! Happy Holidays !!

Yes indeed, spent 20 somethin years in NM, so green chile it is.  The only way to spell it, the only one to eat.  I do get Hatch shipped to me once a year, and I have started making Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas as a Christmas meal tradition.  Done with the turkey by Thanksgiving.  Love tamales, never learned to make them tho.  Happy Holidays to you as well!