myjtp

What machines are these and any worth getting?

Saw an ad some guy is selling a bunch of old machines just wondering if anyone can spot the models they are and any worth getting for leather especially the juki?930AD1B2-75A5-44D3-B2CC-3C0D677B4624.thumb.jpeg.3f13be3de4034ce123ca473929fa60ae.jpeg

I don't know any models.  3 and 5 look like your best bets for a walking foot machine.  I can't see quite well enough to be sure though.

Given all the disclaimer that was just about useless....

They all look to  be straight stitch drop feed machines (garment) with the exception of #3 which looks like an old Singer 211, which are *generally* bomb proof but no telling what's up with that one.

2&3 would have my interest. I believe a 5550 of sorts juki, and the singer 211  believe it is. 

Good day

Floyd

23 minutes ago, brmax said:

2&3 would have my interest. I believe a 5550 of sorts juki, and the singer 211  believe it is. 

Good day

Floyd

Would 2 do zigzag ?

#1 looks like a Singer 241 or 245....oil bath type garment machine with no oil pan to be seen. #3 is one of the 211 models...I can't see a reverse lever on it, but who knows. At worst its similar to one of the Singer 111W machines, so its useful if its cheap. The Juki is one of the more modern single needle straight stitch machines, from a front view I have no idea exactly which one, but it is straight stitch only. It also needs its oil pan, and the table and rubber corner mounts that make it fit the cutout properly. #4 is a most likely a Singer 281, another straight stitch oil bath type machine with no reverse. #5 looks to be a model 78 Singer, its a walking foot machine with NO LOWER FEED, but some folks like the stitches it makes just fine and keep them around. Last one looks like a Singer model 31, the 31-15 is most common but there are several others, including at least one model that has reverse. All the "oil bath" machines really need the reservoir pan that holds the oil for the pump pickups. Caveat Emptor.

-DC

Edited by SARK9

58 minutes ago, SARK9 said:

#1 looks like a Singer 241 or 245....oil bath type garment machine with no oil pan to be seen. #3 is one of the 211 models...I can't see a reverse lever on it, but who knows. At worst its similar to one of the Singer 111W machines, so its useful if its cheap. The Juki is one of the more modern single needle straight stitch machines, from a front view I have no idea exactly which one, but it is straight stitch only. It also needs its oil pan, and the table and rubber corner mounts that make it fit the cutout properly. #4 is a most likely a Singer 281, another straight stitch oil bath type machine with no reverse. #5 looks to be a model 78 Singer, its a walking foot machine with NO LOWER FEED, but some folks like the stitches it makes just fine and keep them around. Last one looks like a Singer model 31, the 31-15 is most common but there are several others, including at least one model that has reverse. All the "oil bath" machines really need the reservoir pan that holds the oil for the pump pickups. Caveat Emptor.

-DC

You sir are a sewing machine whisperer!! Thank you kindly for the info! 

I thought #3 looked like some sort of 211, but with all that rust on the bases I'd want to check underneath pretty carefully.

If I had to choose I´d go with #3 + #5

• #1 Singer 241 I guess
  • #2 Juki 5550 I guess
  • #3 Singer 211
  • #4 Singer 291 or 251  I guess
  • #5 Singer 78 / Consew 128 I guess
  • #6 Singer 31 / 31K I guess

Not knowing anything else about them (not knowing if they even sew),  this is what I’d value them at:

1...$50

2...$75

3...$150

4....$50

5...$75

6...$50

Since you already have a good flatbed machine there’s no advantage to getting any of these.

Note:

You will see Juki 5500's and 8700's out there used all the time. They are fast garment machines. The 8700's are a tad stouter, (for thin garment leathers, denim, etc) while the 5500's are race cars. They are fast and light.

You can swap out feed dogs and other parts to make them fit a particular sewing requirement, but none of this is for heavy leather work. It would be like hauling lumber in a Miata.

10 minutes ago, DonInReno said:

Since you already have a good flatbed machine there’s no advantage to getting any of these.

I would agree. If the 211 was in nice shape, maybe, just to have a vertical bobbin machine set up for different applications if you were jumping back and forth (maybe lighter threads than the other machine, etc) but that thing looks pretty hammered.

Often when a machine is left to rust and rot, it's because it was near the end of it's useful life anyway, or because it was too much of a PITA to fix.