Handstitched

Upholstered Motorcycle Seat

G'Day,

Here's a pic of my very first real  attempt at re-upholstering a seat for a vintage motor cycle  that I did sometime last year . It was for 1981 Honda. The restoration of the bike took 5 years.  This thing called ' life  ' gets in the way sometimes  I guess. 

I have done the odd small upholstery job here & there, but nothing like this. 

The leather is an automotive upholstery leather, with fabric backed upholstery foam.   The seat has  a plastic  molded base.  I did say to the customer that I have no real experience in this type of work, but he was happy for me to give a go anyway, what a gentleman eh?  ....and he wanted it pleated....yikes !!!

My  elderly Father was an upholsterer by trade in his early days , but I wanted to do  this on my own (  on the quiet, and without him knowing)  because has a habit of ' taking over' ...and he never shuts up with " back in my day " stories, I would spat the dummy  and the job would have taken twice as long  :)  So when I finally showed him the finished  product he was thoroughly   impressed , .....and surprised . 

My sincere apologies for  the poor images, so zooming in could be messy . The client came to see me at my market stall this arvo, and all I had on me was my ol' flip top mobile phone and not my camera . And naturally, the customer was  very happy with how it looked. 

I but I thought it ( the seat) looked quite good on his nice ' new ' bike :)   But I'm sure he said the bike was going to be light blue last year.

O'h well, blokes prerogative, he can change his mind any time he wants ...with his wifes permission:rofl:  

HS 

Upholstered MC Seat 2.JPG

Upholstered MC Seat.JPG

Edited by Handstitched

looks nice

kgg

What is “spat the dummy” and “Arvo”? 

‘My buddy had one of these! Fun! Watch those corners, it’ll slide right out from under you at 45! Lol

4 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

What is “spat the dummy” and “Arvo”? 

"Spat the dummy" means to throw a tantrum, "arvo" means afternoon (from the Aussie penchant for shortening words).

Ta Rocko :) 

Now I've had a crack at doing one of these, I'd like to do another one. 

HS 

I love new terms. Thank you. Now to hunt down the history.

Separated by a common language...

The seat looks great!

Not if we ask questions.:lol:

Wow, I don't know how I missed this one but good on ya'. Looks great!