aguwa

stitching question

Hello everyone been awhile since I  been on here winter season here in Massachusetts , any way time to play and as I am sewing quantity of belts and shooting slings I find my self buying pre wound bobbins from cobra and find my self throwing out a lot of waste at end of bobbins  due to not wanting to run out in middle of a run , my question is am I looking into this detail to much and should I just run the bobbin out and stich over 3 Stiches with new bobbin  and keep stitching , what do you all do? these slings are to be sold to the public 

Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 9.02.49 PM.png

Edited by aguwa

That's what I do if i run out in the middle of a run.

I think you have to play it by ear.  If the bobbin runs out in the middle of the strap, I’d say the overstitch is a good practice.  But if it’s in an area that I think could see high wear, I’ll pull the stitches back to a better location for the overstitch.   Sure it takes a bit of efficiency away, but I can’t knowingly sell an item that is in my perception not as functional as possible.  

I only recently have run into the end-of-bobbin event. I also got tired of throwing away so much thread. I was just terrified of running out in the middle of a belt. Then when I did, I found that the sew-over a couple of stitches was hardly noticeable. The other thing I'm doing, is filling at least two bobbins per color, and if I'm doing something longer like a belt, I'll use a fuller bobbin, and if I'm doing a small project like a collar, I use the one with less thread left. The biggest problem I'm having is running out of bobbin thread and not noticing for quite a few stitches. Fortunately the Cowboy machine will go through the same holes a second time very nicely!

Jeff

I've been able to maintain the top thread and switch the bobbin.  I go back a couple inches, pull the bottom thread back (pick it out) so I have a couple inches loose.  Put the bobbin in and pull the thread up through the needle plate, pull the top thread back to the spool, line up the needle and continue sewing.  No break in the top thread, and enough thread on the bottom to be able to tie and super glue or burn it off.  It's a bit of a hassle, but no double stitch shows on the top and I can hide the bottom join.

Tom

thanks guys for your input seems were all on the same page now as I was sewing today I did both first I sew over three Stiches on top it did not look bad passible then by accident I did what north mount said and that worked slick got it down now thanks again helps to just know what  someone else is doing