AA3JW

Tippmann Boss VS CB 3200

Hey every one. I have a sewing machine question. I recently sold some of my stuff, and actually have enough to buy a tippmann boss. I am a hobby leather worker, and make mostly holsters and knife sheathes for my self and friends. should I buy the boss, or should I save some more money and buy a CB 3200?

I just sold a Boss and bought a 4500. I would wait and get the 3200. The Boss can be temperamental.  I finally had it sewing decent but always held my breath while using it. Also the difference in the arm length is huge, the short open distance on the Boss frequently made it hard to work items through. 

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Todd

I'll give you the other advice, . . . buy the Boss.

I've had mine for over 10 years, . . . and yes, I've had problems with it, . . . just like anything else man made.

I truly believe the word temperamental should be more applied to the operator than to the machine, though, . . . as mine does just about anything I ask it to do, . . . sometimes on the second or third try, . . . but it does it.  

All of my other sewing machines are or were the same way, . . . including Brother, Singer, etc.

The Boss gives you the ability to put the stitch EXACTLY where you want it, . . . and nobody will convince me that an electric machine will do the same thing.  Plus, . . . it can be un-clamped and set up on the shelf, . . . something again, not usual with an electric.

It also is manual, . . . meaning if I want to go to the barn with it, . . . I can, . . . the county fair, . . . a gun show, . . . 

I don't know how close you are to a Tandy outlet, . . . but you can go to ours here in Columbus, Ohio, . . . they'll give you a demonstration and let you play with it a while if you want to.  That is how I decided on mine, . . . 

I will say one more thing, then go, . . . it does give one a hankering for an electric machine, . . . when I'm stitching a 53 inch cowboy belt, at 6 stitches per inch, . . . ;)

May God bless,

Dwight

I own both a clone 441, and a Tippman. I first purchased the Tippman, and I loved to hate it. Once I figured out all the quirks, it became easy to trouble shoot all the temperamental issues. The one thing I hated and still do, is the short throat that everyone is talking about. A few years later I purchased a clone 441, which I’ve onwed for 11 years now with no issues whatsoever. My goal was to get rid of the Tippman, keeping the clone alone. After using both for a bit I realized both had advantages over the other so I decided to keep both. I like the fact that I can get closer to an edge with a Tippman, but I also love the fact that I can stitch faster and more accurately with the clone. If you must get one, probably the 3200, you won’t miss the smaller details the Tippman can do, but if I were you, I would save my money for a 4500. This has a bigger clearance throat than both. 

I’ve written several times to Tippman inquiring if they’re gonna make a 9” Boss, but so far the answer has been no. I think it’s messed up that Tippman, stopped Tandy from making the 9” Boss clone, only to let it die. 

Good luck, any PD the machines mentioned will work. 

There is also the cowboy outlaw to consider. I only bring it up because it is new, and I don't think everyone knows about it yet. I haven't used it or the boss.

I really like the concept of The Boss, small footprint can be made portable, sews thick leather, no power needed ect. That's also what its drawback are.  Since its so small its not great for larger projects, since you have to hand crank you loose one hand to the crank vs a foot pedal and two hands on the project.  Hand cranking and clutching (like a motor cycle) is tedious.  Someplace between 50 and 100 cranks you will loose patience with this process and your cranking may get a little lazy and not complete your follow-through up\down correctly and the machine may bind up. 

It' funny in the Cowboy Outlaw video he actually says "run this machine like your angry at it".  In the demo videos they typically run the machines with small scraps of firm veg-tan, rather than actually making something.  As your making your decision look for some videos of people actually making things and watch how they use the machine and their hands. Then picture yourself making the same project, you can crank-it-out -angry style, or gently guide it along peacefully. Good luck.

my 2 cents: you start  out thinking "well, for what I do....I wont need that big of a machine" ...yeah uh huh. 

I struggled with this question 3 years ago...then I saw a guy at a gun show using his Tippman on a holster..one handed...yeah, I am not that coordinated anyway.

Agree with above...if possible try one out. Also, consider throat and presser foot capability. I know it is overwhelming, gritted my teeth, Hot wife says 'go for it" called Cowboy Bob...never have been sorry. love the machine. See the picture...cant imagine doing this manually. Again, just a leather butcher, hobbyist' opinion. 

Log carrier 1.jpg

For a couple hunnert dollars difference, DEFINITELY the powered version.  If you're doing ONE, or even ONE A WEEK, maybe get an awl.  If you're doing more than that, the powered version is a no-brainer.

BTW- first time (really!) that I ran into this...exceed my 3200 presser foot! 

sheath thickness.jpg

My 4500 could sew that. I've done almost an inch by reducing the lift height to the minimum and sewing one stitch at a time.

Thanks everyone for the input. I guess I continue to save to buy the cowboy.  Maybe with a little luck I will win the lotto! Will probably sell a couple more of my 1911s (can't shoot more than two at a time anyway).  

I was thinking of getting myself a CB-3200 for light to medium work.  How thick was that welt on that holster/project you show in your picture above? 

Thank you,

Vikefan

Vikefan: a FULL 3/4"