Seansun

My First Week of Leatherworking...

These are the projects I completed in my first week of leatherworking (in the order of completion).  I really just wanted to make a couple collars for my dogs.  But now, I’m having way too much fun to stop.  After finishing the third collar, I decide to order some spot setters to make that job easier. I’m still practicing my beveling... Does anyone have any suggestions regarding ways to finish the edges that won’t bleed or eventually flake off?  Any suggestions are welcomed.  I’m here to learn!  Thanks!

5F6B3CB6-AAE5-4B67-ACF1-06CB2DE5F83B.jpeg

6B5D5E20-BB94-4FE5-9329-2B6C0E4F4B6F.jpeg

AAEE7F1E-D655-4AA2-8C3F-1ABAA6998D6B.jpeg

Hi Seansun, Welcome to the craft. You have the bedazzle - bling spot on, nicely done. From what I can see from the pic's you need to burnish the edges. Just take a wool dauber, or sponge, dampened with water, and apply it to the edge of the collar. You only need enough water applied to matt down the fibers. Then if you have an edge slicker or burnisher, in a back and forth motion cause friction or heat build-up along the edge.  This will give you a finished smooth edge. When you are finished you shouldn't have any "flake off". I don't know what in the way of tools you have but you also can use the wood handle of most hand tools until you can get the proper burnisher. You have the artistic eye and you should be proud of those collars, I know your dogs will be.

Welcome to the addiction...I mean hobby!. Great job on the collars 

On 1/4/2019 at 4:25 PM, rleather said:

Hi Seansun, Welcome to the craft. You have the bedazzle - bling spot on, nicely done. From what I can see from the pic's you need to burnish the edges. Just take a wool dauber, or sponge, dampened with water, and apply it to the edge of the collar. You only need enough water applied to matt down the fibers. Then if you have an edge slicker or burnisher, in a back and forth motion cause friction or heat build-up along the edge.  This will give you a finished smooth edge. When you are finished you shouldn't have any "flake off". I don't know what in the way of tools you have but you also can use the wood handle of most hand tools until you can get the proper burnisher. You have the artistic eye and you should be proud of those collars, I know your dogs will be.

Thanks rleather! I spent a good deal of time yesterday trying to refine my burnishing skills. I seem to be making some progress, but I’m still finding that once the leather dries, and I work with it a bit, I get a few stray fuzzy spots. I tried burnishing with beeswax - I’m still not satisfied. I’m having fun making these collars though and practicing new skills along the way.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:45 PM, kiwican said:

Welcome to the addiction...I mean hobby!. Great job on the collars 

Thanks, kiwican! Yes, it does seem to have a rather addictive nature... but down the rabbit hole I go.

Just keep at it. Also, the quality of the burnishing depends heavily on the quality of leather. Better veg better edge.

There are a few things you can do to help lesser quality leather along.

An extremely sharp knife leaves less burrs. Sanding. Sometimes a bic lighter is your friend. And some saddle soap with a canvas rag.

Keep having fun.

Thanks, bikermutt07!  I got the leather from Tandy. It was on sale and I was uncertain as to how to get started.  It seemed like a decent start.  I have since gotten a few smaller pieces of scraps that seem to be of better quality.  I’ll play with them and see how I do. What type of sander would you recommend - hand held or stationary, orbital or belt? And can you tell me more about how you use a lighter to improve edges?

That Tandy stuff is okay to start, but you will be amazed at the improvement in quality, with less waste in the better leathers. Better price too, even with shipping.

I haven't tried a spot setter yet, but with the amount of collars I'm doing now I may have to go that route. 

Jeff

Alpha2, do you have any suggestions as to where to buy good leather that won’t bleed? I sure don’t want a white dog getting a black or brown ring around the collar.

Any leather could potentially bleed depending on the dog's exposure to water. If you have a swimmer, you may see some bleeding no matter the leather. It'll eventually stop at some point and it'll also eventually wear off the dog too :)

You should be ok if you go with pre-dyed leather but just know that you could see some bleeding if the dog is a swimmer.

Webbing collars are preferred for swimmers. Remember leather is only guaranteed completely waterproof on the original animal, the cow.

Any dye or stain on leather can be sealed to some extent, I seal my bridle leather collars with a few light coats of Resolene, and the edges are buffed and treated with beeswax neatsfoot etc. mixture. A good buffing after that will help too, and when your cloth comes away clean, you're done. Still can bleed if exposed to water over time. I haven't seen an issue though.