anvlts

205 Adler Clone Recommendation for Binding Work

Hello there,

I am considering getting 205 Adler clone with a synchronized binding attachment for binding work. I have heard about 205 clones from Cowboy and SewPro. Has anybody had an experience with these  machines?  How do they compare in terms of quality?  Has anybody used them for binding work? Are there other brands that I am not aware of that offer good quality for the price?

Thank you in advance,

Marko

Weaver Leather has a very good  205 Adler clone.  I believe the  Bob at Toledo Sewing and Alexander at Solar Leather are not longer carrying the 205 clones.  They sell the Juki 441 clones.  As good as the clones are, still not quite as good as the original.  I have an original Adler 205 with all the toys. The clones are still very good machines.  They will do binding but that means different feet, feed dog, throat plate.  Those parts can be purchased from Kwok Hing.    However,  this for a regular binder.  A synchronized bind is a different type of binder where the binder walks with each stitch of the feed dog.  That will not be cheap whoever builds it.   As to the actual binder, I suggest you contact Tennessee Attachment.  Contact Tennessee Attachment direct and ask them these questions.  They make good binders.  Atlanta Attachment makes very good binders as well but are more expensive.  Either binding company will require you to send samples of what you are going to bind as well as samples of the binding itself.  I have done this a few time so I know how it works.  PM me if you have any more questions.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

Uwe (forum member here) has some good youtube vids about setting these up. The main thing is you want the clone machine to have the access hole in the cylinder arm to attach the binder plate to the lower oscillating parts inside the arm. Some clones do not have this access hole.

I believe Sewpro sells one of these clones as a full binding package.

The Durkopp Adler 205-370 class of machines and clones are by far the best synchronized binding solution I've seen in that category of machines. The synchronized binding solutions for the Juki TSC-441 and clones look similar, but don't function the same way.

I've not personally used the 205 clones sold by SewPro, Weaver, or Cowboy dealers. I would expect them to be of similar quality. The 205 clones I have lack the access hole in the arm needed for synchronized binding.

The length of the arm on the 205 clone is an important consideration. The synchronized binder kit that Kwok Hing makes is designed for the standard 12" arm (DA 205-370). Some clone machines have longer arms (e.g. 205-420) and may not accept the KH synchronized binder kit.

You can order KH parts  for the DA 205 directly from their online store: http://www.khsew.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=205 You have to register to see pricing and place an order. The order confirmation email normally includes Paypal as a payment option.

KH also released a fixed binder kit (KH205-FNP/FDB) recently, but I've not yet tried it. This kit should work with all 205 clones, regardless of arm length or access holes.

KH205FNP_02-800x800.jpg

Here's my installation video mentioned earlier, using an original Adler 205-370:

Here's a video with a few binding samples:

Edited by Uwe

We have a few New 205's here but they don't have the slot in them for the binder.

Thanks everybody for responding. Adler 205-370 would be my  first choice, but the prices for the used are 5K plus, so I have to consider clones.

Bob, does Cowboy clone of Adler 205-3370 come with the hole for the synchronized binding attachment? You mentioned that the ones you have don't, but I am not sure if there are different variations of this type. For instance, there is Adler 205-370 with a hole, and Adler 205 MO without. Visually, they look identical.

Thanks,

Marko

5 hours ago, anvlts said:

Thanks everybody for responding. Adler 205-370 would be my  first choice, but the prices for the used are 5K plus, so I have to consider clones.

Bob, does Cowboy clone of Adler 205-3370 come with the hole for the synchronized binding attachment? You mentioned that the ones you have don't, but I am not sure if there are different variations of this type. For instance, there is Adler 205-370 with a hole, and Adler 205 MO without. Visually, they look identical.

Thanks,

Marko

I found one in our stock that has the plug.

CB205-270 1.JPG

On 2/14/2019 at 7:33 AM, Uwe said:

The Durkopp Adler 205-370 class of machines and clones are by far the best synchronized binding solution I've seen in that category of machines. The synchronized binding solutions for the Juki TSC-441 and clones look similar, but don't function the same way.

I've not personally used the 205 clones sold by SewPro, Weaver, or Cowboy dealers. I would expect them to be of similar quality. The 205 clones I have lack the access hole in the arm needed for synchronized binding.

The length of the arm on the 205 clone is an important consideration. The synchronized binder kit that Kwok Hing makes is designed for the standard 12" arm (DA 205-370). Some clone machines have longer arms (e.g. 205-420) and may not accept the KH synchronized binder kit.

You can order KH parts  for the DA 205 directly from their online store: http://www.khsew.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=205 You have to register to see pricing and place an order. The order confirmation email normally includes Paypal as a payment option.

KH also released a fixed binder kit (KH205-FNP/FDB) recently, but I've not yet tried it. This kit should work with all 205 clones, regardless of arm length or access holes.

KH205FNP_02-800x800.jpg

Here's my installation video mentioned earlier, using an original Adler 205-370:

Question for you Uwe.  On the KH kit is it possible to replace the actual folder with different size/fold options? Specifically wondering if I could replace the folder with a single fold raw edge option?  I can't quite tell but it looks like the folder bolts onto the assembly that then screws onto the synchronized plate, am I correct? 

Should be able to.  Binders normally built to specs.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:33 AM, Uwe said:

KH205FNP_02-800x800.jpg

Great Video   

What size binding tape does this binder use? what has everyone used? Poly? Cotton? Sunbrella? Looking to do some carpet applications

-Andrew

What do you want to use for binding?   That is the question. All of the mentioned items above can be made into binding.

glenn

3 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

What do you want to use for binding?   That is the question. All of the mentioned items above can be made into binding.

glenn

I understand that, what is most common for carpets? Looking for FAA approved binding for this exact application.

3 hours ago, awharness said:

I understand that, what is most common for carpets? Looking for FAA approved binding for this exact application.

Does it have to be fire resistant to meet FAA regs?

Wiz,

Yes.

glenn

It’s my understanding most aviation carpet is wool or nylon with a fire resistant coating.  Ive seen binding tapes that are just polyester or even vinyl and thread that seems to be primarily nylon - it seemed odd to use nylon thread rather than polyester, but there must be a reason.   Regardless of its content it has to have passed FAA burn tests that are different for various categories of aircraft.  It seems manufacturers typically supply FAR 25.853 burn certifications for any materials, but at least one aviation upholstery supplier was having the testing done on their end.

My impression has always been that aviation carpet is on the light side and a walking foot upholstery machine would be more than enough.