Sign in to follow this  
SonderingSusan

backstitching / securing stitches.

Hey Everyone !

Has anyone any wisdom to share with me about securing stitching when just dong a short line of stitching . Do you 

A- stitch backwards twice then forwards . 

or 

B - stitch forwards than backwards than forwards again over it ?

i have been trying both these ways bit often fin my work unravels or becomes loose at the start or end. I also find it hard not to massively overstitch. Any / all advice welcome. Thanks so much.

SS

When I do what I call a single needle saddle stitch I start about 3 holes in, from one end, sew to the other end then come back on those stitches, past the start to the other end, double back to the start and do two stitches past the start. The holes 3, 4 and 5 have three threads through them. I bring the first and last of the thread through the two thickness of leather. When a bit of glue is added to stick the edges together and then the edge burnished the thread is secure. 

When I do a full two-needle saddle stitch. I start at the first hole, sew to the end then double back both threads two stitches. Lets say there are 30 holes for stitching; hole 30 has two threads through it, 29 has 4 threads and 28 has 4 threads. I find usually two stitches back is enough, some times I'll do up to 5 stitches back if the item is going to be rough handled, and occasionally I'll put a drop of glue, rubbed in, on the very last stitches threads after they've been trimmed flush.

hth

If you are using a poly thread you can melt the ends on the back side and push them flat.  I hand stitch so my holsters get 4-5 back stitches, trimmed to about 1/8" tag, then melted and pushed flat.  

Each to their own I guess. When hand stitching, I back stitch a few stitches first  then forwards, and back stitch a few stitches at the end.

In machine stitching, pretty much the same, I reverse first then go forward, and reverse  2-3 stitches at the end, and as chiefjason said, melt the ends. Just makes a nice neat job :)  

HS